Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giro Shoes - WARNING!!!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giro Shoes - WARNING!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 10:38 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My everyday-wear pair of shoes are Giro Code Techlace. Love 'em. Even more so because no one bought the purple ones, so they were 50% off.
Old 04-14-19, 10:53 AM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
N-2 Buckle, which is like finding hens teeth.
This is interesting. I was looking at picture of the Trans E70 shoes on Amazon and the ratchet buckle is a bit different than what I have on mine. Although the strap looks the same. In the description, on Amazon (for what it's worth), says the buckle is an N-1 while the strap is an N-2. This is very confusing because when I do a Google search for "Giro N-1" I get a ton of hits with pics that look like the buckle I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Giro-Trans-Ro...00NDJPSO8?th=1

I guess Giro changed something along the way.

Who knows? It's time for laces
Old 04-14-19, 10:55 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
This is interesting. I was looking at picture of the Trans E70 shoes on Amazon and the ratchet buckle is a bit different than what I have on mine. Although the strap looks the same. In the description, on Amazon (for what it's worth), says the buckle is an N-1 while the strap is an N-2. This is very confusing because when I do a Google search for "Giro N-1" I get a ton of hits with pics that look like the buckle I have.

Giro's top shoes have been coming with laces for a while--like the Empire and Empire VR90
Old 04-14-19, 11:19 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,742 Times in 2,763 Posts

You're right. I went by memory, because I ordered a set of N-1 for my Trans shoes, and they were incorrect. I think it may be MR-1, after doing some looking. I ordered them from Performance, and of course, all my history is gone, so I can't verify.
Old 04-14-19, 11:28 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
This is the reason why I love my Sidis, after 1000s of miles and years and years of use they have never let me down. The few times that I have needed to replace parts, they are always readily available.
I am still using my two pairs that are over 20 years old. Great shoes and perfect fit.
Old 04-14-19, 11:51 AM
mrblue

Originally Posted by Aubergine

I am still using my two pairs that are over 20 years old. Great shoes and perfect fit.
I have a pair of Sidi Genius 7's and a pair of Dominator 7's. Hands down the fit of the Sidi's is far better than my Giro's. However, and maybe the case is different on the higher end Sid's, but I found the materials on both the Genius and the Dominator to be pretty cheap. The velcro on the Donimators has started to fray after less then a year. Then again, I do use them daily, for my commuter bike, so I do take them on/off a couple of times a day.

Having said that, someday, when I have lots of $$$ I'd like to try some higher end Sidi's.

Last edited by mrblue; 04-14-19 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-14-19, 11:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I like the concept behind the boa but always found the knob looks weird. Like a mushroom shaped tumor growing out of your shoe/foot.

I've been eyeing the Giro Empire ACC's. I like the laces. They look cool/retro and if you ever have to replace them finding a set of shoe laces shouldn't be a very daunting task. Sure they're not as fast or as adjustable on the fly as boas, buckles, and velcro, but, personally, I never have to adjust my shoes on the fly, nor am I ever really in that much of a hurry to get my shoes on or off.
I don't like laces on any kind of shoe, which is a bummer because they're the obvious best solution. You can make part of the shoe tighter and part looser to fit perfectly. And like you said, they're cheap and ubiquitous. And yet part of the reason I chose the ski boots and walking shoes I have is no laces.
Old 04-14-19, 12:02 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't like laces on any kind of shoe, which is a bummer because they're the obvious best solution. You can make part of the shoe tighter and part looser to fit perfectly. And like you said, they're cheap and ubiquitous. And yet part of the reason I chose the ski boots and walking shoes I have is no laces.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/

Specifically:

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/ianknot.htm
Old 04-14-19, 12:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by sooni
Unfortunately I can't repair myself and Giro and the distributor they directed me to are completely ignoring me.

The did not respond back with instructions.
Go back to your retailer (in this case, Merlin).

You may have to pay for 2-way shipping.
Old 04-14-19, 12:16 PM
mrblue

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Go back to your retailer (in this case, Merlin).

You may have to pay for 2-way shipping.
Giro's headquarters is in Santa Cruz. About an hour drive from my house. If it were me, I'd skip the middle man and throw the shoes at Giro's front door myself.
Old 04-14-19, 12:26 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Giro's headquarters is in Santa Cruz. About an hour drive from my house. If it were me, I'd skip the middle man and throw the shoes at Giro's front door myself.
You dodge official retail channels to save a buck...this is what you get. Just about all manufacturers everywhere say to seek RMA through your retailer.
Old 04-14-19, 01:34 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Google says others have struggles with stuck buckles on Giros -- and on Sidis.

Someone offered this solution: "Like a Chinese Finger Trap, the trick is to actually push it in farther first. Then you should be able to depress the release lever normally."

I've had stubborn buckles on Shimanos. I didn't think to apply a screwdriver or knife or pliers. After working with them some, maybe pushing the strap in farther and then pushing on the buckle release, they let loose, and I'm still using those shoes years later.
Old 04-14-19, 02:09 PM
mrblue

Originally Posted by Athens80

Someone offered this solution: "Like a Chinese Finger Trap, the trick is to actually push it in farther first. Then you should be able to depress the release lever normally."

I've had stubborn buckles on Shimanos. I didn't think to apply a screwdriver or knife or pliers. After working with them some, maybe pushing the strap in farther and then pushing on the buckle release, they let loose, and I'm still using those shoes years later.
Absolutely. With mine, I tried pushing, pulling, pressing, everything you could think of. But the way the strap and buckle were designed there was no room to push or pull anything. That is why I needed to resort to pliers.
Old 04-14-19, 02:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I can get most of my shoes off of my feet without unlacing... except some boots. Perhaps those were cinched down tighter than I normally would do, but too tight, and they would be quite uncomfortable.

Those shoes appear to have a soft upper, so I'm surprised they wouldn't slip off.
Old 04-14-19, 02:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
So Giro's most expensive shoes have laces. My all-time most comfortable shoes have all been laced. The Pumas I raced 40 years ago and the Velcro'd Lakes I paid ~$90 bucks for at Performance. From the first time on the fit was like "ahhh!" but I started having real issues from the straps. (Riding serious hills every day on a fix gear.) I got tired of the doctor's visits so I bought $15 worth of laces, grommets and a tool. Spent an afternoon installing the laces. Those shoes are now super comfortable all-day shoes. Did the same to another pair of identical Lakes with different cleats. Same outcome.

Bugs me that the shoe companies reserve this very cheap fastening system for their $300 shoes. Now that I have the tool, it costs me $5 plus laces per pair.

Ben
Old 04-14-19, 03:09 PM
sooni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
I read this when the shoe was stuck on my foot. Did not work on the Giro's buyt has worked with my Sidis. I am guessing the issue was corrected at some point or this would be more prevalent on forums like this.
Old 04-15-19, 06:56 AM
sooni

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Is your other shoe locked up? Post a pic of this section of the ratchet, I'm curious of they changed their strap design.

This is the left shoe, also locked when trying to solve the puzzle.

Old 04-15-19, 07:04 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Grind the head off of the larger rivet with a Dremel. Replace rivet with nut and bolt. I mean, that's what I'd do if the other shoe weren't already destroyed.
Old 04-15-19, 08:34 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Grind the head off of the larger rivet with a Dremel. Replace rivet with nut and bolt. I mean, that's what I'd do if the other shoe weren't already destroyed.
I'd replace the buckle altogether, but that's just me,

What I wouldn't do is cut the shoe off (like the OP did).
Old 04-15-19, 09:32 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
It's not the buckle that's the issue. It's the strap - specifically the ratchet section of the strap extends too far. It needs to end sooner so that once maximum tightness is achieved there is still room to push the strap further in then back to kick up the release buckle on the un-geared section. The picture I posted on the first page shows the section - I believe the teeth extend further on the smaller sizes.

I hate throwing away defective products that the company refuses to warranty so I'll go pretty far to save. In this case the thing to do seems to be using a soldering iron to melt the head of the ratchet strap so that the tongue will release, then replace strap with a newer(?) model that won't have the same issue.

I've also been scorned by Giro customer service for low-use but older items outside the warranty period. I won't buy Giros and I won't buy shoes online ever again.
Old 04-15-19, 09:32 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,742 Times in 2,763 Posts
Snip off the angled portion of the tab that's to be pressed down, so it clears the elevated part of the strap. I can't tell by that picture where it's mounted, but there are also two positions on the shoe the buckle can be installed. All this is easy to say, outside looking in, but it also helps being familiar with that shoe.
Old 04-15-19, 09:44 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
It's not the buckle that's the issue. It's the strap - specifically the ratchet section of the strap extends too far. It needs to end sooner so that once maximum tightness is achieved there is still room to push the strap further in then back to kick up the release buckle on the un-geared section. The picture I posted on the first page shows the section - I believe the teeth extend further on the smaller sizes..
If you dismantle the buckle, the strap is released.. Reassemble or replace the buckle, and you're good to go.

No way would I have destroyed the shoe, Sounds like the OP panicked.
Old 04-15-19, 09:50 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Here's the same on an older shoe, which works fine.

I've had some trouble with Sidi buckles but maybe that's operator error.

Old 04-15-19, 12:24 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
If you dismantle the buckle, the strap is released.. Reassemble or replace the buckle, and you're good to go.

No way would I have destroyed the shoe, Sounds like the OP panicked.
Do you have access to the Giro shoe closure system? If he replaces the buckle he's going to run into the same issue again - the ratchet section of the strap allows tightening past release point. He could replace the rivet with a screw as suggested but that's not a good fix.

He needs a replacement strap, the strap design changed at some point to decrease the length of the ratchet section by ~1/4". You can see it here comparing this set of shoes from mid 2015 production to the same style but 2016 production. I suspect they used the same ratchet section distance as the prior version of the interface - oversight during design refresh is a common issue but should have been addressed properly.

@sooni - do you have a year printed on the sole under the insole?
Old 04-15-19, 04:40 PM
sooni

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Here's the same on an older shoe, which works fine.

I've had some trouble with Sidi buckles but maybe that's operator error.
That is a different buckle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.