Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

70s Galmozzi

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 08:45 AM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
70s Galmozzi

This is local to me. I've had some contact with the seller and am thinking about taking a look.

The bike is a repaint but done by Ed Litton so it's at least a respected painter. All of my bikes have quality, original, paint so I'm not sure how I feel on this. How often do you see a head badge on a Galmozzi from this era? Looks like most I've seen with the more subdued lugs like this have decals in their place. Given it's a refinish, it is possible it was added.

Bar ends are also a little curious. Crankset appears to be a little later than most of the other components but I could be wrong here. Would probably change out levers and brakes to Campagnolo. Tires need to go.

Anything else sticking out to anyone? I think his value is fair-ish given these issues but it's been listed for a little while now.
Old 02-23-18, 09:19 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Headplate affixed with adhesive although it was intended to be mounted with fasteners. Perhaps a "find" the owner decided to mount...

Pump barrel too short.

Nut on bottom bracket cable guide incorrect.

Crank fixing bolts should be black oxide finish rather than chrome.

Chainstay stop adjusting barrel should be replaced with Campag Nr. 620 stepped ferrule. Housing slightly too short.

Saddle pillar did not exist at time of machine's fabrication; but then you know that already.

Frame appears to have been built with a different brakeset in mind. Note how pads at bottom of travel both front and rear. Rear pads cannot quite get down to the centre of the braking surface on the rim. The Super 68 rear caliper has a lower travel limit of 63mm. The model 61 rear caliper has a lower travel limit of 72mm. Suspect frame built for 61's. If you proceed with plan to retrofit to Campag Record brakeset you will definitely need a dropbolt for the rear. Even the standard dropbolt may prove inadequate. Alternately, if you prefer sidepull calipers the model 51 Extra could be fitted. Its centre of slot dimensions are 50.5mm front and 64mm rear vs 47.5mm front and 56.5mm rear for modell Super 68. In this regard an easy check you could make if you travel to visit the cockerel would be to measure its front and rear brake centres. For model 61, for example, they are 55.5mm front and 64mm rear (same as for model Extra 51).

This cable casing did not exist at the time of the bicycle's construction. The stock silver-grey housing from Fratelli Pietra would be more appropriate. The REG cable guide Nr. 749 a nice touch.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-23-18 at 10:48 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-23-18, 09:39 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Headplate affixed with adhesive although it was intended to be mounted with fasteners. Perhaps a "find" the owner decided to mount...

Pump barrel too short.

Nut on bottom bracket cable guide incorrect.

Saddle pillar did not exist at time of machine's fabrication; but then you know that already.

Frame appears to have been built with a different brakeset in mind. Note how pads at bottom of travel both front and rear. The Super 68 rear caliper has a lower travel limit of 63mm. The model 61 rear caliper has a lower travel limit of 72mm. Suspect frame built for 61's. If you proceed with plan to retrofit to Campag Record brakeset you will definitely need a dropbolt for the rear. Even the standard dropbolt may prove inadequate.

This cable casing did not exist at the time of the bicycle's construction. The stock silver-grey housing from Fratelli Pietra would be more appropriate.

-----
Headbadge looks to be mounted by fasteners but look to be the wrong type.
Old 02-23-18, 09:52 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
Headbadge looks to be mounted by fasteners but look to be the wrong type.
-----

Thank you!

[ eyes ]

-----
Old 02-23-18, 06:35 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Attention to detail is a little off (as noted by a number of points in juvela's post above), even to the point of neglecting to re-install the dropout adjustment screws.

Plus, for $1500+, I'd expect a Campy brakeset and appropriate Record seat post. The Unis would've been PC, but not top of the line. I guess I'd expect a higher-end saddle as well. And no pedals? Knock off $100 right there.

DD
Old 02-24-18, 09:12 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
My first thought was re-paint as it's so clean. Not a fan of that either but for the right bike at right price I would. Prob here, based on that and Juvelas and other assessments, not the right price by a fair amount.
Old 02-24-18, 09:43 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
I would say a $1200 Bike. The Headbadge may not be right for the Year but is an added bonus. I have seen original badges go for over $200.

Re-paints don't bother me in the least.
Old 02-24-18, 09:53 AM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
I decided to not go through with it. Too much that I wanted to change to make it closer to how I would want it.

Given the time it’s sat and pay cash instead over eBay fees, shipping, etc I was going to attempt to get it in the 1200+ range.

Not the end of the world. Just thinking about how I can come up with another grand-ish to afford another stunning Grady bike... lol
Old 06-11-19, 11:34 AM
karelb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm selling Galmozzi from the early 70's, if you're interested in that maker - it's posted in the C&V marketplace presently.