Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Used Bike Friday Tikit (worth the buy)?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Used Bike Friday Tikit (worth the buy)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-15, 11:30 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
My Speed Pro TT has the SRAM version. It's heavy,you need to carry a 15mm to pull the wheel,and you have to watch the click box sticking out on the right side,but it def gives you a seriously wide range. Also note,it works with a triple brifter,but can be a bit fiddly at times do to the trimming clicks.
thanks, dyna. i'm well acquainted with the sram dualdrive and it's predecessor, the sachs 3x7. i used to have the sram on a bf nwt and the sachs is on my old school pocket rocket. frankly, i prefer the older sachs tin can version - it functions flawlessly and uses the standard chain-pull shifter pin assembly and not that clunky plastic click box business. I was curious specifically about the sturmey archer 3 x 8. i subsequently did some reading and it seems they are problematic. i read some reports from tern riders who had the hub (re-branded as neos). lots of complaints about slipping gears...

its a shame really. sturmey archer used to be so damn good. the first bikes i bought when i moved to new york after uni were a raleigh sports and a BSA branded girls bike. my girlfriend and i bought them at the 13th street flea market. they were 45 years old and more trouble than they were worth. the only thing good about them were the 3 speed hubs. 45 years old and they worked like they were made yesterday... i'm almost 40 and i wish i could say the same about myself...

Old 08-09-15, 09:21 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Bought this new in 1962 .. Sturmey 3 spd worked flawlessly through the years .. would be nice if that level of quality existed today from Sturmey ..

Old 08-09-15, 09:34 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
How's a 42T cog and long cage derailleur work out in the real world when fitted on a bike with ISO349 wheels?
I think that it's designed for a single chainring such that the derailer has a short cage. The movement of the jockey pulley accommodates the giant cog but the tension pulley only needs a 32 tooth capacity. Off the top of my head, that's reasonably close to what a common compact double with road cassette uses.

Now on my tikit, I have a 28 tooth cog with a short cage derailer and I have plenty of clearance. A 42-tooth cog would have a 50% larger radius. Since a pair of teeth will be 1 inch ... the cog will be a little more than two inches bigger.

Hmmmm ... it certainly warrants consideration. I'm not sure. The derailer will be pointed forward on the biggest cog. So the derailer won't be 2 inches lower; but it will be hard to tell without trying it since the (lateral) derailer path will be very steep to make it to a 10-tooth cog and every gear change should raise/lower the jockey pulley about 1/2 inch.
Old 08-14-15, 04:21 PM
shrooms

Bikes: Two Cannondale Hooligan 8s, IF MOVE

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by failo

I recently stumbled upon a Bike Friday Tikit on Craigslist
Have you bought the bike? What's the impression?
Old 06-19-19, 06:08 AM
wqlava1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tikit recall fix pictures

Originally Posted by tcs
I've ridden my tikit upwards of forty miles at a throw and feel like I could pretty much ride it as far as any other straight bar bike.

A new 2015 hyperfold tikit with rack and fenders will top $2000. If it's the bike you want - and it's in fine condition - that price seems like a bargain.

BikeFriday recalled these bikes on several occasions, issuing 'dangerous to ride until repaired' warnings. If this is an older tikit, make sure it has the jackleg installed to prevent the seat tube base from breaking, the steerer tube recall completed and the hyperfold cable upgrade.
I'm thinking of buying a Tikit online with pickup by a relative, but want to ascertain whether the above recall items are done. Are there any photos online of what to look for with the seat tube base and steerer tube fixes?

thanks,
Andrew
Old 06-19-19, 09:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got a 'season Tikit', 2nd hand ,, gear hub Sram 9 speed , internal, grip shifter ..

Hyper fold is so eager to fold , I have to tie a strap around it, so it wont do it when I don't want that..

I discussed all the upgrade and recall parts issues with the seller,

and even got a new threadless headset preload collar from the company ..

replaced the crankset, , seat post , and added my own pedals saddle ..

and stem, different to dial in reach..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-19-19 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-19-19, 09:52 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wqlava1
I'm thinking of buying a Tikit online with pickup by a relative, but want to ascertain whether the above recall items are done. Are there any photos online of what to look for with the seat tube base and steerer tube fixes?

thanks,
Andrew
Andrew, reach out to Bike Friday. Let them know that you are planning to purchase a used Tikit, and would like to get details on the recall items so you can ascertain whether the bike you're purchasing needs anything.

You can also check in with Bike Friday on what it would cost for them to update the bike with the various bits for you.

Good luck
Old 06-19-19, 10:12 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by wqlava1
Only tikits manufactured before 2009 have the issue with the seat tube base. It involves the geometry of the 'wheel around handle'.

Early handles:

Improved full loop handle:

BikeFriday 'fix' for the early bikes:

Yes, installing this brace blocks the rider from getting a good grip on the handle. Despite that, the brace has to be installed - before the fix, some frames brokes and riders were injured.
Likes For tcs:
Old 06-19-19, 10:24 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
The steerer tube issue affected all tikits. Some original steerer tubes broke, riders were injured, etc, you know the drill. BikeFriday sent out replacements. I think the red dot is what indicates a replacement tube. The replacement tubes also did not have the BikeFriday headbadge.

BikeFriday's superlative customer service took ten months and two weeks to get me a replacement headtube so I could return my tikit to use. After the recall, a rider with a replacement headtube reported a failure and injury crash on BikeFriday's Yak forum. BikeFriday subsequently discontinued tikit manufacture and shortly afterwards shutdown the Yak.
Likes For tcs:
Old 06-20-19, 11:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
As I recall, pictured at the time, the fork difference was; 1st building technique, 2 tubes one over the other, ..

the 2nd version a single thicker tube, thicker on one end thinner than the other with same inside diameter..

So, solid, not sleeved over , doubled, for same function..

stepped rather than butted, which tapers from thicker to thinner.. usually maintains the same outside diameter ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-21-19 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 12:27 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The main thing I look for in a used Tikit is the aardvark upgrade. That's the one that @tcs has labeled as the "Improved full loop handle". If this upgrade is present, the likelihood is high that the bike has received all the other upgrades or was produced toward the end of the Tikit's production lifespan when the upgrades were standard on the bike.