Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 09:26 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
So is it more violet than blue? Kinda like C-Cats trekenstein?
It has some purple in it. About the color of a Bluebonnet.

Last edited by seypat; 06-18-19 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 09:34 PM
seypat

The BB is super light and the metal has a different sound. Frame weighed 4.61lbs with the bottom headset race still in. That's it. Done for the night.

Last edited by seypat; 06-18-19 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-19-19, 05:19 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
It has some purple in it. About the color of a Bluebonnet.
Our state flower. Weirdly, I could name our state flower, tree, bird, song, motto, capitol, before the internet was a thing.
Most Texans identify themselves as Texans before anything else.
I was having this very conversation with my riding partner Sunday. He happens to work at the same company I worked at for 20 years. Great company, actually. Long story short, they asked how you identify yourself and I put other. They asked why, I said cause you didn't have Texan as an option. Oh BTW, he has a Texas flag tattooed on his back or chest IDR.
One thing, per our conversation, we could only identify one other state flag, california, due to the bear.
Oh also he was on his just washed '88 Iromman master and I was on my '86 Classic. And Dang It, his Ironman looked Good.....sorry I got carried away....carry on.
Old 06-19-19, 08:55 AM
seypat

Our state flower. Weirdly, I could name our state flower, tree, bird, song, motto, capitol, before the internet was a thing.
Most Texans identify themselves as Texans before anything else.
I was having this very conversation with my riding partner Sunday. He happens to work at the same company I worked at for 20 years. Great company, actually. Long story short, they asked how you identify yourself and I put other. They asked why, I said cause you didn't have Texan as an option. Oh BTW, he has a Texas flag tattooed on his back or chest IDR.
One thing, per our conversation, we could only identify one other state flag, california, due to the bear.
Oh also he was on his just washed '88 Iromman master and I was on my '86 Classic. And Dang It, his Ironman looked Good.....sorry I got carried away....carry on.
That is the truth about being a Texan. When people ask me about living in Texas, that's what I tell them. Good or bad, you are a Texan first and foremost. That carries with it certain responsibilities and ways of thinking. If you don't agree with, or intend to uphold those responsibilities or ways of thinking, then you don't need to be a Texan. The perfect example was when I went back for my niece's wedding in 2013. Here is the story:

The wedding was in mid June in Henrietta.(Wichita Falls area) The WF area was in a drought so severe that recycled sewer water was being used. We were delayed getting into Dallas a day because of the usual violent storms at that time of the year. We actually got there halfway through the rehearsal dinner. The wedding was a 6pm start. Temps at the start were high 90s. Place had no AC. Reception was outside because of no AC. The wind was blowing so hard that you had to have a paper weight to hold your plates down and blowing over cups with liquid in them. Lots of bugs and mosquitoes. At this point, I am waiting for the rest of the apocalypse to come. My Aunt turns to me and says, "so Pat, when ya'll moving back to Texas?" I looked at here and said, "we're not." I then explained to her and went over what I liked about the place I live now. I didn't bad mouth the Lone Star State at all. She looks at me and my brother who also lived in a different state and says, "Texas is the greatest place on Earth to live. If you don't live in Texas, you ain't no count." I looked at my brother and said, "I guess we ain't no count then." She and her husband had driven in from Snyder and were driving back after the reception. Most of my relatives are out in West Texas between Abilene and Lubbock. They think that's God's country out there. No better place for them. Each to his own.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-19-19, 09:02 AM
seypat

The BB is super light and the metal has a different sound. Frame weighed 4.61lbs with the bottom headset race still in. That's it. Done for the night.

This BB is a Sugino Mighty MW-68. The Centurion site has a question mark. This one. VeloBase.com - Component: Sugino Mighty MW-68

Hollow Ni-Cr alloy spindle. The cups and bolts might be Ni-Cr as well.

Edit: The Sugino catalog lists the spindle as Cr-Mo steel and the cups as Ni-Cr steel. The crank bolts/washers and locking ring have a combined weight of 16g. They have no attraction to a magnet or any Sugino markings.
https://equusbicycle.com/bike/sugino/...hure56%201.pdf

Last edited by seypat; 06-20-19 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-19-19, 09:51 AM
texaspandj

That is the truth about being a Texan. When people ask me about living in Texas, that's what I tell them. Good or bad, you are a Texan first and foremost. That carries with it certain responsibilities and ways of thinking. If you don't agree with, or intend to uphold those responsibilities or ways of thinking, then you don't need to be a Texan. The perfect example was when I went back for my niece's wedding in 2013. Here is the story:

The wedding was in mid June in Henrietta.(Wichita Falls area) The WF area was in a drought so severe that recycled sewer water was being used. We were delayed getting into Dallas a day because of the usual violent storms at that time of the year. We actually got there halfway through the rehearsal dinner. The wedding was a 6pm start. Temps at the start were high 90s. Place had no AC. Reception was outside because of no AC. The wind was blowing so hard that you had to have a paper weight to hold your plates down and blowing over cups with liquid in them. Lots of bugs and mosquitoes. At this point, I am waiting for the rest of the apocalypse to come. My Aunt turns to me and says, "so Pat, when ya'll moving back to Texas?" I looked at here and said, "we're not." I then explained to her and went over what I liked about the place I live now. I didn't bad mouth the Lone Star State at all. She looks at me and my brother who also lived in a different state and says, "Texas is the greatest place on Earth to live. If you don't live in Texas, you ain't no count." I looked at my brother and said, "I guess we ain't no count then." She and her husband had driven in from Snyder and were driving back after the reception. Most of my relatives are out in West Texas between Abilene and Lubbock. They think that's God's country out there. No better place for them. Each to his own.
I went out to Odessa To to visit a comrade when I was in my early 20s. We worked out and sparred some. He latter became a world champion in kickboxing. Anyways, they had one tree at their lake and it was a mesquite tree. And it was barren and dusty (reminded me of Lubbock) , so I can't blame his brother who kept saying how much he loved Central Texas and was excited about visiting Austin again.
If someone said you could get that '85 54cm Ironman but you can't be from Texas, I'd pass. If they said you can have a million bucks but you can't be from Texas, I'd pass. If they said only rats are from Texas, I'd first remind them that 2 of the original Charlie's Angels were from Texas (Farrah Fawcett and Jacklyn Smith) then say pass the cheese.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-19-19, 12:00 PM
texaspandj

Before and after Centurion Ironman style.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-19-19, 07:18 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I'm back on my cycling game. Going out (almost) every morning at 8:30. I've been riding my still favorite Trek 930 with the B17 narrow. But tomorrow, and for the coming week I will attempt to fall in love with the Ironman. It starts out with the Team Pro. If that doesn't work out well, the B17N will intercede. The last few times out it had the C15. Less than perfect.
Old 06-19-19, 08:45 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I'm back on my cycling game. Going out (almost) every morning at 8:30. I've been riding my still favorite Trek 930 with the B17 narrow. But tomorrow, and for the coming week I will attempt to fall in love with the Ironman. It starts out with the Team Pro. If that doesn't work out well, the B17N will intercede. The last few times out it had the C15. Less than perfect.
Hope it works out for you.
It's about momentum when it comes to working out. Sounds like you got it going.
Old 06-19-19, 10:07 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
This BB is a Sugino Mighty MW-68. The Centurion site has a question mark. This one. VeloBase.com - Component: Sugino Mighty MW-68

Hollow Ni-Cr alloy spindle. The cups and bolts might be Ni-Cr as well.
Thanks Pat! i will get the site updated with this information. The bike looks complete and original enough i can believe this is the correct Bottom Bracket.
Old 06-20-19, 07:03 AM
texaspandj

@seypat when I listen to country music I listen to our local station 92.9 shooter FM. It's billed as the Legends and Young guns. It's mostly Texas country and red dirt music featuring regional artist who may have a national following IDK. Here's a sample. Unfortunately they still occasionally play garth and tim mcgraw, ugh. Also, was leaving gym this morni+ng and saw this so I took a pic just for you.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-20-19 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 07:09 AM
texaspandj

Patrick, this.
It was behind the courthouse.
Old 06-20-19, 07:20 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by fleslider
Thanks Pat! i will get the site updated with this information. The bike looks complete and original enough i can believe this is the correct Bottom Bracket.
That is the axle/BB mated to the Aero Mighty crank in the Sugino brochure. The model # of the Aero Mighty is DAMC.

Sugino brochures early to mid 1980's
Old 06-20-19, 08:58 AM
seypat

@seypat when I listen to country music I listen to our local station 92.9 shooter FM. It's billed as the Legends and Young guns. It's mostly Texas country and red dirt music featuring regional artist who may have a national following IDK. Here's a sample. Unfortunately they still occasionally play garth and tim mcgraw, ugh. Also, was leaving gym this morni+ng and saw this so I took a pic just for you.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yapf2QvFHfw
Don't forget that you are born/raised and live in the largest Baptist stronghold in the world. Baylor University had a 151 year ban on dancing until it was lifted around 1996. I'm guessing Baylor pretty much controls what goes, and more importantly what does not, go on in that town. You might not of had access to all of that great Country/Western Swing/dance hall/***** Tonk music that peaked in the 70s and 80s. Heck, you might not of had access to a lot of things. Up where I was raised, the Thumpers had some control as well. In typical Thumper fashion however, the stuff still went on, just behind closed doors. When the Linda Ronstadt thread was going strong, I used to wonder why you had never heard of a lot of the performers mentioned. Then I remembered you're in Waco. Up where I lived Texas life was just like it was/is displayed in the movies/tv shows. Take Pure Country, The Last Picture Show and it's sequel Texasville, and combine it with Urban Cowboy and Dancer Texas Pop 81. Sprinkle in some Dazed & Confused and lots of Friday Night Lights. Maybe throw in some Hoosiers as well. Blend it up like a smoothie, and there you have it. That's the way it was in North Texas in the 70s/80s. I forgot about North Dallas Forty. Got to include that as well.

Speaking of classics, talking about the Thumpers made me think of this country classic:

Last edited by seypat; 06-20-19 at 09:28 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-20-19, 09:12 AM
seypat

The rear DO spacing is 130. Interesting. My 84 Lotus Legend Compe has 128 spacing.
Old 06-20-19, 09:31 AM
seypat

So is it more violet than blue? Kinda like C-Cats trekenstein?
Here is a sunny outside pic. Blue, purple, you decide. I threw in some blue stuff for reference.

Old 06-20-19, 10:06 AM
seypat

Great job on the website, BTW.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-20-19, 10:47 AM
texaspandj

Don't forget that you are born/raised and live in the largest Baptist stronghold in the world. Baylor University had a 151 year ban on dancing until it was lifted around 1996. I'm guessing Baylor pretty much controls what goes, and more importantly what does not, go on in that town. You might not of had access to all of that great Country/Western Swing/dance hall/***** Tonk music that peaked in the 70s and 80s. Heck, you might not of had access to a lot of things. Up where I was raised, the Thumpers had some control as well. In typical Thumper fashion however, the stuff still went on, just behind closed doors. When the Linda Ronstadt thread was going strong, I used to wonder why you had never heard of a lot of the performers mentioned. Then I remembered you're in Waco. Up where I lived Texas life was just like it was/is displayed in the movies/tv shows. Take Pure Country, The Last Picture Show and it's sequel Texasville, and combine it with Urban Cowboy and Dancer Texas Pop 81. Sprinkle in some Dazed & Confused and lots of Friday Night Lights. Maybe throw in some Hoosiers as well. Blend it up like a smoothie, and there you have it. That's the way it was in North Texas in the 70s/80s. I forgot about North Dallas Forty. Got to include that as well.

Speaking of classics, talking about the Thumpers made me think of this country classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyoPaVxMyWY
For so long baylor was kinda it's own little community and not really connected to Waco. Then they got richer and started expanding.
So perhaps they didn't allow dancing theoretically on campus however you just leave campus. Those college kids were/are like all college kids away from home, drinking and not law abiding.
Baylor doesn't run our town but they get a lot of leeway from the city Council and local businesses.
Of course now more leeway is given to Silo/fixer upper.
When I'm riding with my riding buddy and I see something NOT quite right, I'll say "come on baylor you can do better" because of all the leeway they used to get, and my riding partner will say "come on Silo you can do better" because if the current leeway they now get.
Actually, when I was a kid I didn't have any resentment towards baylor but now I have a little. Mostly because of how much they can get away with, (lawfully speaking).
However they never stopped any club, bar, or *****-tonk from opening up outside of campus.
Old 06-20-19, 10:57 AM
texaspandj

Here is a sunny outside pic. Blue, purple, you decide. I threw in some blue stuff for reference.

Just looks beautiful Blue to me.
What's your build plans, is it gonna get the Seypat setup?
RT was right, whoever rebuilt it knew what they were doing
Old 06-20-19, 11:01 AM
seypat

For so long baylor was kinda it's own little community and not really connected to Waco. Then they got richer and started expanding.
So perhaps they didn't allow dancing theoretically on campus however you just leave campus. Those college kids were/are like all college kids away from home, drinking and not law abiding.
Baylor doesn't run our town but they get a lot of leeway from the city Council and local businesses.
Of course now more leeway is given to Silo/fixer upper.
When I'm riding with my riding buddy and I see something NOT quite right, I'll say "come on baylor you can do better" because of all the leeway they used to get, and my riding partner will say "come on Silo you can do better" because if the current leeway they now get.
Actually, when I was a kid I didn't have any resentment towards baylor but now I have a little. Mostly because of how much they can get away with, (lawfully speaking).
However they never stopped any club, bar, or *****-tonk from opening up outside of campus.
When I went to college in Abilene, the students from Harden-Simmons(Baptist) and ACU(largest Church of Christ school in the country) had to leave their campuses on the north side of town for extra curricular activities. They would come over to the south side of town where McMurry(Methodist) was located. Most of the night time action was on the south side as well. The students at ACU had some really strict rules at the time. About like the ones at BYU.

I forgot that the word in front of Tonk has more than one meaning.
Old 06-20-19, 11:22 AM
seypat

Just looks beautiful Blue to me.
What's your build plans, is it gonna get the Seypat setup?
RT was right, whoever rebuilt it knew what they were doing
It is a pretty color, Whatever it is. Thank you. It will definitely have Suntour barcons. Plenty of people raced with barcons. Still thinking about the build. If I go original level derailleurs, I can get away with a long cage RD since original was Cyclone. The Cyclone FDs will shift a triple. Maybe I go with a Sugino AT or GT crank and try a 50/34 double setup instead of 3 rings. I could use the original hollow BB spindle then. The rest of it, I haven't decided. It does have 130 rear spacing. That opens up a whole new world.

I've been looking at the 84 and 85 Centurion catalogs. Later today, I'm going to postulate some opinions on how I think the IM got it's start. I don't think it necessarily came directly from the Compe TA. I need to think about it for a few hours, though. It should spur some good discussion.
Old 06-20-19, 11:37 AM
seypat

I can't remember who has the Zunow IM. I need to know if the Prestige fork has flutes/ridges/rifling like a Columbus fork. Maybe you could post a pic from the bottom looking up. Please. Pretty please. It would help solve the mystery of my Turbo fork.
Old 06-20-19, 12:10 PM
texaspandj

I can't remember who has the Zunow IM. I need to know if the Prestige fork has flutes/ridges/rifling like a Columbus fork. Maybe you could post a pic from the bottom looking up. Please. Pretty please. It would help solve the mystery of my Turbo fork.
@fleslider has that prized possession.
Old 06-20-19, 12:10 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
I believe that would be @fleslider . tex beat me to it , are the flutes there for strength and lightness like butting ?
Old 06-20-19, 12:32 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
@texaspandj and @markwesti , Thanks guys!
@seypat, No problem i will get that done when i get home from work today . stay tuned!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.