Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton Low rise bar

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton Low rise bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-18, 03:17 AM
krashtest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brompton Low rise bar

I'm looking to get the Brompton low rise handlebar black edition (along with the integrated bell/shifter). I have an M3L with what I assume is the HBS-stem.

I'm a little confused on what's required to have this done. I was under the impression that I have to replace the stem for the extended version with the low rise handlebar. Someone else that wasn't necessary (?!) I would just like some clarity before heading into the shop.

Cheers,
Old 04-07-18, 04:42 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by krashtest
I'm looking to get the Brompton low rise handlebar black edition (along with the integrated bell/shifter). I have an M3L with what I assume is the HBS-stem.
What is an HBS-stem?
What to you call a "Brompton low rise handlebar"?

I'm a little confused on what's required to have this done. I was under the impression that I have to replace the stem for the extended version with the low rise handlebar. Someone else that wasn't necessary (?!) I would just like some clarity before heading into the shop.
If you have a M-Brompton made before 2017 and you want to use the handlebars that are supplied for the M from 2017 on you can simply use them on your existing stem but will end up with the grips being a couple of cms lower than before. If you want to achieve the same height as before you would have to change the stem to the newer version, too.
If you have a Brompton made from 2017 on you can just switch the handlebars to post-2017 black edition and nothing will change as they are identical heightwise.
Old 04-07-18, 07:21 AM
krashtest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
What is an HBS-stem?
What to you call a "Brompton low rise handlebar"?
Thanks for your reply. See the attachment on the stem details.

This link has the low rise handlebar.

It's very similar to the standard model, but with a bit of more aggressive look and it's lower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
handlebar_types.jpg (147.5 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by krashtest; 04-07-18 at 07:23 AM. Reason: spelling, grammer.
Old 04-07-18, 07:25 AM
krashtest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a M-Brompton made before 2017 and you want to use the handlebars that are supplied for the M from 2017 on you can simply use them on your existing stem but will end up with the grips being a couple of cms lower than before. If you want to achieve the same height as before you would have to change the stem to the newer version, too.
This is what I thought as well, curious on why someone informed me that I had to change the stem as well. Ideally, I would like to have the height as I find my hands/wrists hurt after a long ride. Though I'm hoping that ergo grips might alleviate that.
Old 04-07-18, 07:48 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Hand discomfort is why so many use Ergon type grips and bar ends. Other factors include how far fore or aft the saddle is and saddle height. I like bar ends because the hand position doesn`t put as much weight on the nerve running up the middle of the palm and because it gives me a more aerodynamic position with headwinds.
Old 04-07-18, 07:51 AM
berlinonaut

It's very similar to the standard model, but with a bit of more aggressive look and it's lower.
It IS the standard model. In 2017 Brompton changed the bars and the stems of the H an M models, making the bars lower and the stems higher. Overall height is therfore still the same. What you call a lower bar is just the actual standard. If you mount a lower bar to a low M-stem this works but you will - surprisingly - end up lower than before.
Old 04-07-18, 08:07 AM
berlinonaut

curious on why someone informed me that I had to change the stem as well.
Possibly because that person did not know what she was talking about.
Old 04-07-18, 09:28 AM
berlinonaut

Originally Posted by fietsbob
AFAIK, As a part of the aforementioned post-2017 M bar redesign, the bar shaft/mast height changes as well to keep combined height similar.

If your goal is to reduce the bar height on a pre-2016 bike , then you get that newest M style handlebar..
Do you sometimes read the threads that you are posting to before you post?
Old 04-07-18, 09:30 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
This is what I thought as well, curious on why someone informed me that I had to change the stem as well. Ideally, I would like to have the height as I find my hands/wrists hurt after a long ride. Though I'm hoping that ergo grips might alleviate that.
That 'someone' is saying the same thing these guys are saying.... if you want to maintain the same height with new 2017+ low rise bars, then the stem needs to change to - basic eyeball math actually.

EDIT: or get one of those Aber Hallo Stems to make up the space.

Last edited by reppans; 04-07-18 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-07-18, 02:24 PM
krashtest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It IS the standard model. In 2017 Brompton changed the bars and the stems of the H an M models, making the bars lower and the stems higher. Overall height is therfore still the same. What you call a lower bar is just the actual standard. If you mount a lower bar to a low M-stem this works but you will - surprisingly - end up lower than before.
Gotcha. My Brompton is a 2013. I’ll ride lower and see how I feel with ergo grips before swapping the stem.
Old 06-13-19, 05:15 PM
bee-man

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread so I felt my question would fit here: I am currently shopping a 2019 Brompton and prefer the S bar model; however, my LBS mainly stocks M bar models (I assume they are more popular). I do not want to commit to a special order so I am exploring different options driven by comfort, convenience, and resale. Judging by the pictures above, an M stem + low rise bar would yield a height close to the S model and in my opinion look much better than the S or M bars. Has anyone swapped the handlebar on their M model to a low rise bar without changing the cables? I can't see how a little extra slack will impact the fold, but that is why I'm asking the question.
Old 06-13-19, 06:56 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Google "joseph kuosac handlebar for bromptons" for additional options. You can find them for reasonable prices on Ebay.
Old 06-14-19, 06:37 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The extra cable length will be fine, it won't affect the fold. It just may not look as pleasing. You could always trim them, not a difficult job.
Old 06-14-19, 08:41 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bee-man
I didn't want to start a new thread so I felt my question would fit here: I am currently shopping a 2019 Brompton and prefer the S bar model; however, my LBS mainly stocks M bar models (I assume they are more popular). I do not want to commit to a special order so I am exploring different options driven by comfort, convenience, and resale. Judging by the pictures above, an M stem + low rise bar would yield a height close to the S model and in my opinion look much better than the S or M bars. Has anyone swapped the handlebar on their M model to a low rise bar without changing the cables? I can't see how a little extra slack will impact the fold, but that is why I'm asking the question.
M handlebar post is mutch lower than S post.

you will end in a mutch higher sport position than original S.
Old 06-14-19, 08:53 AM
berlinonaut

The extra cable length may or may not be an issue when folding or unfolding. Depends from which bars you want to use alternatively. A too long rear brake cable may throuw the chain off the chainwheel while unfolding. A too long front brake cable may hang with the grip of the folding hinge on the stem and thus occassionally make folding or undfolding unpleasant. If the height difference between the bars is not that high you won't have an issue. Factoryvise the height difference between M and S is 10cm and this problably will create an issue.
Old 06-14-19, 09:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yup ..

And recent years the bar mast height /M/H handle bar shapes have changed.. & P is being discontinued, I read.
Old 06-17-19, 01:53 PM
bee-man

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you for everyone's input. I went to the LBS this past weekend and they just received a black S6L. I couldn't resist. Now I understand why the cable length is so critical - the tolerances are tight!

Though I am excited, the remorse is heavy because this is such a luxury item for what I want to achieve with my multi-modal commute. It will be interesting to see how this works out in a few months. Hopefully, this purchase wasn't a big fantasy in my demented mind.
Old 06-17-19, 03:08 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Thank you for everyone's input. I went to the LBS this past weekend and they just received a black S6L. I couldn't resist. Now I understand why the cable length is so critical - the tolerances are tight!

Though I am excited, the remorse is heavy because this is such a luxury item for what I want to achieve with my multi-modal commute. It will be interesting to see how this works out in a few months. Hopefully, this purchase wasn't a big fantasy in my demented mind.
its quite expensive anywhere in world.
think about the costs per day riding and how it will pay itself....

just for laugh.... in my case....thr brompton only pay for itself after 6 years of true hardcore usage....
i
Old 06-17-19, 03:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
owned 2 used 3 speeds, 1 $600 I fixed some stuff sold it for $600, put another $300 out for the M3L I have now..
Old 06-20-19, 05:26 AM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
its quite expensive anywhere in world.
think about the costs per day riding and how it will pay itself....

just for laugh.... in my case....thr brompton only pay for itself after 6 years of true hardcore usage....
i
That seems like an unusually long amortization period. Do you have a short commute or use public transport?
Old 06-21-19, 02:40 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by icedmocha
That seems like an unusually long amortization period. Do you have a short commute or use public transport?
This can be fixed by enjoying it more.