Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2019 Goals

Old 11-16-18, 12:43 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I've just started "Training," with a capital T, so I've got a few broad, general goals for the upcoming year.

1) Increase FTP by 20% before cross season starts
2) Drop 10 pounds
3) Basically a function of #1 and #2....hit 3 watts/KG. I'm thinking this is a reasonable goal for someone who has ridden a lot, but not followed any serious training plan. I could be totally off base though
4) Upgrade from cat 5 to cat 3 in cross season. Another 2 races or so will give me an auto upgrade to 4. Need to get about 1 min/lap faster to compete in the top 25% consistently to accumulate points for a cat 3 upgrade.

Softer goals: Enter some other non-cross races. Some bigger gravel events in the midwest. Would like to hop in a couple of the more laid back Chicago crits for newbies.
Old 11-16-18, 01:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Not get hurt.
Get back to 4w/kg. I got close this year, but I think the more productive path in 2019 will be to focus on the denominator more.
Do some TT'ing.
Race out of district. We have tentative plans to be in the Midwest this summer to visit relatives. I'm hoping to find a race I could do while we're there.
Old 11-16-18, 08:02 PM
Matt2.8NJ
una carrera contrarreloj

Bikes: Venge, Tarmac, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My kids will be 4,6 and 8 this year. I hope to get back to consistently beating 5 hrs /week training now that everyone's out of diapers.

10 races with solid results in 5.

Kickass tan.

Mountain bike with my 8 year old, who can shred already. Maybe get my six year old daughter out to the trails.

Find passion for riding again.
Old 11-19-18, 09:34 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ
My kids will be 4,6 and 8 this year. I hope to get back to consistently beating 5 hrs /week training now that everyone's out of diapers.

10 races with solid results in 5.

Kickass tan.

Mountain bike with my 8 year old, who can shred already. Maybe get my six year old daughter out to the trails.

Find passion for riding again.
Nice!

Good luck, I found that once my kids were out of diapers, things like soccer, field hockey, piano, model UN, lacrosse, family hikes, etc., etc., etc. made it more difficult to train than it was when they were little and I could ride rollers while they sat in a pack and play beside me ... but this "Find passion for riding again" is the key to making everything else bike related work. If you truly have the passion to ride, you'll find a way, if you don't then you won't.
Old 01-11-19, 10:08 AM
BlondeBikerBoy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Place top 10 in Junior National Road Race Championship
2) Weight lift in the off season
3) Work on climbing
Old 04-17-19, 06:28 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
So, I'm making some realistic adjustments.........lol.

For road, it's clear I'm a pretty strong dummy. So, attending either a short race or a competitive group ride monthly to not be so dumb will help a lot.

The TT bike stuff, reality is a lot different than British guys drafting cars on the interstate to get a boost. So, adjusting that as well.

So..........adjustments:
-Road: 1x monthly skills advancement ride, strength is plenty, smarts is not there
-TT: 25mi in an hour, pan flat and ideal conditions
-Running: Crack 23min 5k

I already broke the 25min 5k mark on Monday. Got it to 23:35 losing time on some U-turns. I want to get 5k pace into the 6's........like 6:59 this year.

I went out for a training ride on the TT bike recently and think the 25mi in an hour goal is doable. I'll never do 30mph, so forget that.
Old 04-17-19, 07:56 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
two goals:

1) 300w threshold power (achieved)
2) 1st place in B crit (very close to achieved)
3) I'll add another more lofty goal, aspirational. Podium in A crit. Everything would have to go perfect for this to happen. Weak small field, bunch finish, I'm the best sprinter and all the breaks go my way.
Likes For Radish_legs:
Old 09-09-19, 11:33 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Some rough ideas

Process goals:
1) In the ~18 minute range up one of the local climbs.
2) 20 minute power in the 320 range
3) 5 minute power in the 400 range
4) Maintain a better cycle of intervals and proper work once the nice weather gets here
5) Maintain some lifting in my "diet" through race season to keep a better balanced body. (ie have less of a "cyclist" body and a more normal looking body type.. even if that will cost me some in the weight realm)

Race Goals:
1) Race less than previous years but with more focus
--- In those focused races I have some very specific results driven goals that I'll keep to myself. (https://blog.trello.com/science-back...are-your-goals)
2) Support some crucial teammates next year to get on the podium or victories.

Fun Goals:
1) Travel to at least one new bike event (not necessarily a race) somewhere I haven't been before
2) Race an xc ski race
3) Complete my Avy course and go on some backcountry tours
4) Compete in the open field at cx nats in Dec 2019 since it will be near my home town
I think I did most of these to some extent.
  • I did not hit 18 minutes up the divide this year, but did PR the segment.
  • 20 minute best power this year was lower than previous years, but next year I'll go for it. Maybe this fall if I feel an effort coming on.
  • 5 minute power didn't get there, but did set a lifetime best for 4 min power.
  • I had a bad July of training, but my August was incredible. Came into some incredible form through dedicated training
  • 2019 was my lowest volume year ever. I still had some decent results despite racing less.
  • Supported multiple teammates throughout the year to podiums and good placings
  • I did a cool gravel race in Wyoming! Got first in my AG and got to share a podium with two really goodcycling friends from back home.
  • Raced 2 xc ski races. More coming in the next season!
  • Did some BC touring. Awesome stuff, more of that coming too.
  • Prob not going to do CX nats, doesn't line up with my schedule. That's okay. Might do SSCXWC though.
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 09-09-19, 11:55 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
two goals:

1) 300w threshold power (achieved)
2) 1st place in B crit (very close to achieved)
3) I'll add another more lofty goal, aspirational. Podium in A crit. Everything would have to go perfect for this to happen. Weak small field, bunch finish, I'm the best sprinter and all the breaks go my way.
1) achieved
2) achieved
3) came within 1 bike's length in the last Tuesday Night Crit of achieving. Had the break I was in stayed away, might have won. I didn't race enough A races to make this goal happen.
Likes For Radish_legs:
Old 09-09-19, 02:22 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
1) Consistently high CTL through the race season (90ish)
2) Get my sprint back (1200+ peak power) (Not even close, not going to happen at 60kg)
3) 300w over 20m (288)

4) 4.5 w/kg (4.81)
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 09-09-19, 03:27 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
1) Upgrade to cat 2
2) Do more MTB racing

in 2020 I imagine that I will focus more on track and continue with 2) above
1) Got it, earned 28 points and upgraded. Lots of highs and lows and guts and glory! I had good times succeeding (and failing) in my quest to earn my points OTF.
2) Haven't done so much of it, but will be doing the "Filthy 50" 50-mile MTB race (non USAC) in late October when I am starting to ramp up for 2020.

Things are still up in the air in regards to next year, but right now I'm thinking I'll have a full road calendar up until my wedding in early May. I'm getting into TT, so maybe doing some more stage racing . After the wedding there will be some time off (honeymoon), then I'll focus on having fun at the weekly track series and then maybe some USAC XC MTB after that.

-TMonk

Last edited by TMonk; 09-09-19 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 03:47 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
1) Got it, earned 28 points and upgraded. Lots of highs and lows and guts and glory! I had good times succeeding (and failing) in my quest to earn my points OTF.
2) Haven't done so much of it, but will be doing the "Filthy 50" 50-mile MTB race (non USAC) in late October when I am starting to ramp up for 2020.

Things are still up in the air in regards to next year, but right now I'm thinking I'll have a full road calendar up until my wedding in early May. I'm getting into TT, so maybe doing some more stage racing . After the wedding there will be some time off (honeymoon), then I'll focus on having fun at the weekly track series and then maybe some USAC XC MTB after that.

-TMonk
Nice work. Accumulating points OTF is never easy, and good job on sticking with the sport
Likes For echappist:
Old 09-10-19, 06:34 AM
Tyrell

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My 2019 goals (and results):

56:xx 40k ITT (I did 57:00 at State ITT so I'm gonna call it 56:60)
Top 5 at State ITT for Cat 3 (5th)
Don't crash (Oops - got caught up behind a crash in a crit)
Don't get burned out by May (Burned out in August)
Likes For Tyrell:
Old 09-10-19, 09:45 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
2019 goals
1) Train on average 8 hrs/wk. This is an increase of ~ 1.5hrs per week average for me. Missed - looking at my average hours, it seems I'm still in the neighborhood of 6 hrs/week and my biggest week of the year was 9.5 hrs of riding. At least I didn't drop training hours down much from previous years.
2) Race lots. For me this is 15-20 weeknight races + 5-8 weekend races in the year (+ maybe another 6 or so CX races), Close, but missed - 17 weeknight races, but only 2 weekend crits this summer. 3 CX races so far, and looks like I'll do ~12 CX races total this fall.
3) Win a race. Stretch goal is to win the 50+ OBRA champ RR or crit. I'll call this achieved - I didn't win a race, but won a weeknight race series. I didn't even enter the OBRA RR or crit championships, I was out of town for both.
4) Be a factor in the sprints in our weeknight series - at least a few top 5s in finishing springs, + several top 3 in the points laps. Podium at least 1 of these races. I was not a factor in the sprints, but I did manage a 5th and a 4th place finish and two placings in points laps. All from small breaks rather than the final sprint.
5) 10" power up 200 watts (essentially to where I was 6-8 yrs ago) Missed this one - peak power is about the same as last year. I was hoping to lift more through the winter and carry that into targeted sprint training in the spring, but didn't do too much.
6) 20' power up 20 watts from 2018, which is ~5W above my best ever I beat my best ever 20 min power by 1W, 4W off my goal. Basically within the margin of measurement error, and up 16 watts from last year, so I'll call this one a win.
Hmm. Some lofty goals I had ... but a good season. I should mention I stayed in one piece and had fun.
Likes For cmh:
Old 09-18-19, 07:34 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
1) Do better than 2018

Not a very high bar to achieve.
lol, i actually did way worse
Old 09-18-19, 12:25 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
The time to prepare is upon us, post them goals!

Mine, as mentioned in the 2018 thread:

Results oriented:
Do well in a big stage race cat 2 field (either VoS again or Chico, or whatever else the team decides to target)
7th at VoS so, sorta? Podium would have been nice
Podium in a P12 race (right now I feel like pack fodder in the P12 races, but still feel relevant in the 2/3's. I'd like to close that gap and get a result, even if it's at a smaller office park crit)
Nope

Personal:
Get more organized with my time management so I can take the time I need to train and race without feeling guilty, or pressured to do something else. When I feel guilty about training, I end up procrastinating on both errands AND riding, and then feel even worse about myself, and can get caught up in a spiral.
Sorta.

Fitness:
Get leaner, but with some additional muscle. At least to the point where I can see abs. Weight doesn't necessarily need to go down, I'm pretty happy with 145 lbs and would even take a muscular 150 lbs because crits.
Nope
Get my sprint back up to where it was. I've stopped practicing it as much, and I'm having a hard time breaking 1200w again.
Nope
Keep my overall volume up. 10+ hour weeks or bust, stretch for 15. That, plus following coach's plan, should result in a good engine.
Yes for the most part

Skills:
Work on sprinting from a small group. Not getting so nervous coming into the last lap in a break.
Didn't really get many opportunities
Work on sprinting from a bunch. I probably won't win, but I'm finding myself being timid again and favoring attacking early even when it doesn't make sense to do so.
Never positioned well enough or too tired from working for team earlier in the race
Corner faster. I've improved this year, but still have a bit to work on.
Definitely improved but still room to grow
So overall just a so-so season in terms of goals.

Got lots of racing in though, and had fun! Only crashed once.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 09-20-19, 11:09 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
As for my goals, I’m not sure yet. Main one is to just win something.
Success. Having won races in in 2015, 2016, 2017, then not winning **** in 2018 I was unsure if my "days were over."

But they aren't, or at least not yet.

This year I won the rainy Modesto crit. I wanted to win more (and not break bones, which I failed at doing), but hey - one win is a lot more than a lot of people, so I'm overall happy with the season.

my race videos
Old 09-20-19, 02:34 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
1) Win or help my team mate win more than last year.
Racked up 11 until I hit June. Finally got another 2 in August.
2) Don't bail.
Wrecked 3 times in crits -- twice in a week a month before my targeted races.
3) Win a state or regional championship.
2nd in a Masters Crit. 3rd at the track.
4) Podium in an elite crit.
Sort of. Won a 2/3 crit.
5) Win the Scratch at Masters Nationals.
Hard to win a scratch if you can't really sprint. Did win the TP as a consolation.
Old 10-07-19, 10:34 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Buttoned up my season yesterday at a chilly hill climb in Vermont. 34 when I got to the start. Mercifully it warmed up a bit above 40, and since it was a sub 30 minute effort I rode in a jersey and shorts. Grab the age group victory by a scant 5 seconds. This was part of a season long HC series, and I ended up winning the 50+ series. I led the overall most of the season, just losing the jersey in August. I was 2 points in arrears going into this race, and I made up one. Pity, I'd have won the tie breaker had I managed to ride well enough to tie the leader. Granted, he's 1/2 my age so more power to him (literally). All in I hit my only goal which was to win the age group series.

1st - 5
2nd - 2
3rd - 1
4th - 1

I've been pretty much eating non stop since I crossed the finish line.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 10-11-19, 01:10 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ancker
1) 4W/kg (currently 3.57w/kg)
2) Get Lean (70ish kg, scale says 16% body fat)
- I'd like to get to 12% and whatever weight comes with that. Weight loss not the goal.
3) 1 hour 40k (standard road bike, aero bars, 62mm wheels)
- Current PR on this set up is 1:05. Five minutes is a lot, but I think it's doable.
1) Didn't happen. Never really focussed on FTP this year. Early work travel cut into progress.
2) Sort of happened. Weight stayed pretty stable, BF dropped, but not down to the 12% goal.
- I'm not sure 4W/kg and 12% BF are compatible with my lifestyle. I have troubles eating enough to fuel my workouts when I focus too much on weight.
3) Didn't try. I was the organizer for our local TT, so I didn't race. I also sold the TT bike, so big penalty there.
Old 10-11-19, 03:21 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I didn't really develop any 2019 goals, I had a good (by my standards) CX season in 2018 and was hoping to keep it going this year. I had a really great winter of training and was doing long sweet spot workouts based on 310w FTP at the end of June after starting at 275 in December. July and August were a lot less structured with family vacation for a few weeks and maybe working off a higher FTP than I should have for short power stuff, so that 310 hasn't really stuck. I've backed off to 285 (4w/kg when I'm 5 lbs lighter lol) and am killing it on the sweet spot stuff, which I tend to do. As for CX racing, I haven't noticed any improvement or regression in my placement through 5 races this year (a middle of the road Cat 4), would love to have one race where it all comes together and I can crush it, but I'm just out there having fun and competing with other grownups playing athlete on the weekend.

So it's nice that my baseline is 10w higher than last year, hoping to really get to 300w and make it stick this coming year
Old 11-07-19, 03:22 PM
BK84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BK84
1- Find a team that I enjoy racing with and convince them to let me join.

2- Race >15 races.

3- 3 podiums (Cat4)
1- Done

2- 27 races

3- 9 podiums
Likes For BK84:
Old 11-07-19, 07:59 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)