Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

"Chasing back on" after a flat in a road race

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

"Chasing back on" after a flat in a road race

Old 03-13-19, 07:12 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Crits are totally different. Shoot, riders CHOOSE to have mechanical so they can get back in. They fall down, put their foot down - whatever. It is downright hilarious the gamesmanship. I love it.
Indeed. That's just a survival tactic at a pro race. I got caught behind a huge crash at Sunny King a couple of years ago and swerved around it in my lactate-induced delirium and then couldn't close the large ensuing gap and was pulled two laps later, while the guys beside me that just rolled straight into it and put a foot down got their free lap and got pushed back in the group. They got to finish, I got to watch it from the barriers.

It was total b.s. for me and a mistake I won't/haven't made again.
Old 03-13-19, 08:29 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You just need these guys in your pit crew.

I learned to do that in CX just last year. That is almost standard CX. Really fun. Lots of time the cyclists feet don't hit the ground. How you angle the bike within about 5 degrees matters.
Two years ago in the worlds ITT the pros were swapping bike. Some clearly had the technique down, and some not so much. It was good for a couple seconds or so.

Last edited by Doge; 03-13-19 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 10:00 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Huge difference between flatting in a crit and getting a free lap and flatting in a RR and having to chase. I've done the former several times. It helps to have an official who understands you need to start pedaling before the end of the train arrives.
Old 03-13-19, 01:47 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
I may have mentioned this before. Was in a 40+ 1/2/3/4 crit last year, and a guy faked a crash to get a free lap. Created a bit of a stir when I noticed it and posted video. Rider was called out by official in the race the next day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phch...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-13-19, 03:12 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
I may have mentioned this before. Was in a 40+ 1/2/3/4 crit last year, and a guy faked a crash to get a free lap. Created a bit of a stir when I noticed it and posted video. Rider was called out by official in the race the next day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phch...ature=youtu.be
The fake crash epidemic has gotten fairly large. Doing NRS I get asked by the officials a lot to validate something was wrong.

"He had a flat? You give him a neutral wheel? OK get his wheel and put air in it. I'll check it when the race ends. It better have gone down substantially. He was looking gassed in the laps leading up to this and was starting to gap anyway. *Moto did you see the flat happen?*"

"Is this a real problem that would happen from a wreck and not just from doing it by hand or poor maintenance?"

Old 03-13-19, 05:25 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Huge difference between flatting in a crit and getting a free lap and flatting in a RR and having to chase. I've done the former several times. It helps to have an official who understands you need to start pedaling before the end of the train arrives.
You would like the officials here - I've seen them let people go before even the front of the group arrived.
Old 03-20-19, 10:17 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Late to party.

Helpful wheel van operators help. This is a story about me (right seat) and a then-pro who was taking a day off (the driver). TL;DR - we literally towed a Cat 3 at 50+ mph back up to the field.
Sprinter della Casa: How To - After getting a new wheel

When drafting unknown vehicles, ride behind the tire area, left or right edge. Usually drivers instinctively protect the car/van/whatever's tires. You can also peek around. Worst case you have an out if the car slams on its brakes. Bigger gears def help. Was going 49 mph in this bit (slight downhill start, slight uphill for much of it), 53x11 as fast as I could spin, roasted legs.

I only caught on once, in a circuit race (Plymouth RR? Miles Standish? about an 8-10k circuit, no hills, tons of curves, 2 lane road no shoulder), maybe half a lap to go. I didn't fall but rode into the dirt to avoid the crashes that blocked the road. After I didn't want the wheel van to pass me so I went as fast as I could as soon as the van engine got louder. He slowed down for the curves, then gunned it on the straights. Must have been a tailwind since there's no way I'd have worked that hard with a headwind, plus the field must have slowed down like crazy. I caught the field at 1k to go, rode through it, was about 4th wheel at 200m to go as the sprint started, and the 2nd rider touched wheels and crashed. I managed not to crash again but wasn't able to stay on the road.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-20-19, 12:00 PM
zigmeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No such thing in amateur racing getting a flat and getting back on..CAT 4 levels and up...they are long gone. And no service vehicle will let you draft after a wheel swap...so good luck with that. At least down in Florida.

Best I ever did 1 time was after a crash in front of me and I was at the back of the group/caught up behind the crash...got around it..and they were moving still at a good clip. I the last person to gap back onto the group, chased for like 2 miles and was flat out...still finished 10th place due to a crash on the finish...this was the start of the last lap of a 14mi loop RR. Pretty much lit all my matches just to chase and get back on. I was impressed with myself...because a bunch of guys I passed and nobody else got back on...rare form I guess.

Two races I flatted, 1 initially the support truck was letting me draft, then he took off...would have had a chance, but then within 1mile up the road, there was a crash, so yeah...the other time, I just put my bike in the back of the truck, road back to the start/finish and said let me out...heading home.

Joke compared to pros and all the support/vehicles they get to get back on a big group...plus the pace normally isn't insane when that happens to them.
Old 05-20-19, 03:21 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by zigmeister

Joke compared to pros and all the support/vehicles they get to get back on a big group...plus the pace normally isn't insane when that happens to them.
The pace is more insane in a cat 4/5 race?

Haaaaaa.

Having used race caravans to get back into a group a few times (and only actually succeeding once when I came to a complete stop), I can assure you that 35-40 mph seems pretty insane, even if the effort varies at times.
Old 05-21-19, 10:55 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Thanks, great tips!

Yeah there was no "caravan" in this race, but the van/driver was from a semi-pro/semi-legit domestic team, and the bumper did have marks on it. The driver said "don't be afraid to hit the bumper" - but I was afraid lol..

I wonder if he wasn't going faster because he thought I couldn't keep up - I was maybe 1-2 feet off the bumper, but it felt easy enough. I think I just wasn't strong/lucky enough to close that final gap after he dropped me off. So it goes.

I'm in no danger of even having to consider flats on a race with wheel support and chase vans, etc. But I CAN tell you that you get a better draft off of vans and larger vehicles than you think you do. I'm not that strong of a rider, but I can easily hold 27mph+ while riding far enough back to see a pothole with enough time to swerve, or at least unweight or hop a bit.

Obviously right on the bumper is better than not right on it...but even several bike lengths back there is a massive advantage.