Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

My "big event" has come and gone; now I'm no longer motivated to ride.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 07:03 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts

So my Tour de Cure ride has come and gone and I seem to no longer feel like riding. I spent five months getting ready for the ride, and since then (May 27th), I've only been on my bike four times.

I'd hate to think that I need a carrot dangling in front of me to get me on my bike, but that's the way it appears. Why don't I feel like I just want to get on my bike and go for a ride?

Is this something that is normal when a cycling goal is reached; to lose focus (in my case anyway)? Am I destined to just a few rides here and there for the remainder of the summer?

I need to keep my fat behind on the bike so said fat behind won't be quite so fat someday. Any tips / suggestions / admonitions / comments to help me get back on the bike?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-12, 07:09 AM
Street Pedaler

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 (RIP), 2013 Trek Domane 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think we all need carrots dangling in front of us. What they are just varies from person to person. Any other organized rides that you can start training for?
Old 06-12-12, 07:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
If you are not inspired to ride for the pleasures that many experience while riding, maybe you don't really enjoy riding your bike that much. Nothing wrong with that, but it's an avenue of inquiry you might want to venture down.
Old 06-12-12, 08:03 AM
szewczykm

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Trek 7.2, Giant Defy 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I worry about that too. I don't have a big ride coming, but I really want to join one as soon as I feel that I can ride more than 20 miles without thinking that I'm going to die at mile 15.

I use the following motivators, maybe one will work for you:

- I am 320#, I would like to be 220#. Every day I'm not at 220, I know I need to ride.
- I've heard, but I still don't believe anyone, that eventually I'll ride up long hills without crying.
- Many, Many rides in Illinois and Wisconsin.
Check out the "CowaLunga" ride coming up in August. https://www.cowalunga.com/
Four Star Bike Tour - Chicago, August 26th - https://www.fourstarbiketour.org/
Pumpkin Ride - October 7th. - https://www.starvedrockcycling.com/pprpage.htm

Check out https://www.mikebentley.com/bike/ilrides.htm for a long list of options. Maybe do an event every 3 months.

- Commute - I sort of wish my commute was longer, but I'm riding each morning now to work. I feel great when I get here. It saves a little gas too.
- Strava - Personal Bests. I just started logging some routes so I can race against myself.

The last thing that I tell myself, is the less I feel like riding, the more I need to do it, if that makes sense. I know there are guys and gals here who experience a personal thrill with every ride, but for me, right now riding hurts. There is no such thing as a pure pleasure ride. Also, it takes a little preparation. "Suiting up" to go ride. I just know that with every ride, I get a little better, it gets a little easier, and I enjoy it more. I'm always happy that I rode and I need to force myself to take on my "after persona" while still in the "before moment" so I can talk the lumpy "before" version of me into getting moving.

If you plan on continuing to ride, think of the version of you that's struggling to get going again for the next organized ride and is in pain because you stopped riding. Think of how much that version of you is going to be pissed at the current you for not getting out and riding.

I am only a few weeks in, so honestly, I'm not one to talk. I'm hoping I can help in some way. I just know that I employ the "Night Mike" vs. "Morning Mike" thing in my life a lot. Morning Mike gets pissed at Night Mike for not filling the gas tank on the way home because he was tired. Nite Mike fills the tank so Morning Mike won't be pissed at him.
Old 06-12-12, 08:05 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Switch to setting "no more than X" goals instead of "at least X" goals for a while.
Old 06-12-12, 08:16 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Could be worse. You could be Neil Armstrong. You still have something to reach for.

This is my incentive, and it never gets old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Charger Girls.jpg (108.6 KB, 79 views)
Old 06-12-12, 08:25 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
Is this something that is normal when a cycling goal is reached; to lose focus (in my case anyway)?
I had a goal of climbing Mount Baker (on my bike, not with ropes and ice axes), so I set out and did it. I'd also been wanting to climb Blewett Pass, so I spent the next week doing rides around town to keep my fitness up, and went and did a loop over Blewett and Old Blewett. The following week it was one corner of Mount Rainier. And then ... the truth is I won't live long enough to accomplish everything on my list.

Maybe having a single goal isn't right for you?
Old 06-12-12, 08:37 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If you are not inspired to ride for the pleasures that many experience while riding, maybe you don't really enjoy riding your bike that much. Nothing wrong with that, but it's an avenue of inquiry you might want to venture down.
That's just it, I do enjoying riding my bike just for the enjoyment of it. Except for right now that is. No desire, no motivation, no nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada
Old 06-12-12, 09:08 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
So take a week or two off and see what comes up.

I don't have a discrete time-based goal in mine (e.g. a specific ride on date X) so for me, organized rides are just something to train for along the way, not the goal in and of itself. Have you ever done any group rides in your area? Maybe adding a bit of a social element will help your motivation.
Old 06-12-12, 09:25 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's the equivalent of post-coital tristesse. You've focussed all your desire on that moment and afterwards feel anti-climax, feeling of melancholia, temporary depression.

If, as you say, you enjoy riding for its own sake, then your enthusiasm will return. But if I were you, I wouldn't sit on my ass until it does, because taking exercise is as much as anything a matter of habit, and losing that habit isn't a smart idea. So keep getting up and getting on your bike because you know you ought to, and in a week or two you'll find you still want to.
Old 06-12-12, 09:49 AM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Could be worse. You could be Neil Armstrong. You still have something to reach for.

This is my incentive, and it never gets old.

Nice incentive!!! Rather eye catching!

To the OP. Take a small break. Maybe a couple days to just recharge. Gofor small walks/hikes. It's good to change it up a little, keeps the thrill
Old 06-12-12, 09:56 AM
Hoshnasi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The commute is what I look forward too. The idea of the me saving money riding a bike a sum total LESS distance than a car is a big incentive.

Are you interested in any tech or gear for cycling that you can start trying out? That always gets me going. A new monitor, or computer, etc.
Old 06-12-12, 12:10 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
I've had similar feelings after riding a personal best mileage wise. Like if I don't exceed that next time, then I've failed somehow.
It seems if I just go out and ride a "few" miles for the next couple days, with NO expectations, the desire starts to creep back in.
Old 06-12-12, 12:14 PM
Brando_T.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
switch it up, try something different. Railtrails. mountain bikes.
Old 06-12-12, 12:49 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Do you bike with friends?
I find having someone to bike with makes a difference.
I'm not talking those group rides from the local bike emporium where everybody is competing. I'm talking 10 miles per hour with a buddy. Side by side if you can, so you can chat along the way.

I was pumped to train alone for my first long distance walk. Wouldn't have trained a step for my second walk if I didn't have a friend who loves to explore and hike who took me out 2 and 3 times per week for 2 to 4 hour walks as well as some serious hill climbs.

Find a buddy, and go for it.

Last edited by skilsaw; 06-12-12 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-12-12, 01:00 PM
Sir Real
Señor Member

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M1 (Rival)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not too late to sign up for RAIN.
Old 06-12-12, 01:17 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

I don't have a discrete time-based goal in mine (e.g. a specific ride on date X) so for me, organized rides are just something to train for along the way, not the goal in and of itself. Have you ever done any group rides in your area? Maybe adding a bit of a social element will help your motivation.
I am very much in this camp. I think taking some time off might be a good thing. See how you feel then.

And when I got started with being more committed, I felt I DID need things to aim for so I would not find excuses not to ride. (At the time I had not yet found a cycling group to ride with that would add the social element that I was also missing). This was end of February. I signed up for the Tour of Long Beach 31 mile ride which was set for May 5. I had not ridden that far in one ride EVER. My furthest was about 16 miles (my house to the beach and back). In early March, I found a women's cycling group that was a good fit for me. At that time I also got my bonus $$ from work and used some of that $ to sign up for a 36 mile ride in July and the MS ride in October (doing 50 each day). The rides have served as incentive to get out and put in the miles. That works for me. I do best when I have a concrete goal to aim for such as a organized ride.

I don't need them as MUCH now as I ride with my group at least 1x a week in addition to my solo riding.

Stay on the boards at least and keep up with everyone and maybe your motivation will return.
Old 06-12-12, 01:19 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
IndianaRecRider, it looks like you already have two more goals already defined. 1.) your mileage ticker in your signature shows that you have a monthly goal of riding 300 miles. You have three weekends left in the month, and the longest day of the year, (daylight), is later this month. With those two, you can fulfill your monthly goal easily. And, 2.) I see you are a Red Rider. Exercising will help you control your blood sugar and result in a better life during those times when you are not riding.

Yes, we all need encouragement from time to time. After several weeks off the bike, I had a difficult time getting out on Saturday. Glad I did because it was an extremely beautiful day to ride. Hang in there.
Old 06-12-12, 01:34 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
The only Admonition I know I cannot speak, only whisper....... Are you a goal oriented person? If so then set a new goal or several. Keep it smart; specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time based. This has worked for me and still does as I always have a new goal and stair step goals. My current longterm goal is a under 4 hours for the Drier Ride, a metric century in October with plenty of climbing. One stair step goal is to complete the Seattle to Portland in good shape, i.e. not exhausted, over two days. I also keep a monthly mileage goal that is attainable yet requires effort. Last winter my goal was weight based partly: not to gain more than 10 pounds. Striving to meet that actually caused me to continue to lose weight.
Old 06-12-12, 02:06 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am tired of my monthly goals. Today I went out for a ride on a beautiful day and turned back in 3 miles and said heck with it. Instead, I worked on our tiny patch of yard at our condo and dug out all the grass. Feels good to do something else. I love to bike but I love other stuff too.

Try something else for a bit?
Old 06-12-12, 02:07 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Set a monthly goal like in the threads we have for monthly goals. Document your miles on a calender. Set your goal high and go for it. It will make you a better rider all around.
Old 06-12-12, 02:10 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hoshnasi
The commute is what I look forward too. The idea of the me saving money riding a bike a sum total LESS distance than a car is a big incentive.

Are you interested in any tech or gear for cycling that you can start trying out? That always gets me going. A new monitor, or computer, etc.
Commuting is really awesome. I love it!
Old 06-12-12, 02:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
Switch to setting "no more than X" goals instead of "at least X" goals for a while.
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I've had similar feelings after riding a personal best mileage wise. Like if I don't exceed that next time, then I've failed somehow.
It seems if I just go out and ride a "few" miles for the next couple days, with NO expectations, the desire starts to creep back in.
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I think taking some time off might be a good thing. See how you feel then.
Originally Posted by goldfinch
I am tired of my monthly goals. [...] I love to bike but I love other stuff too. Try something else for a bit?
Originally Posted by chefisaac
Set a monthly goal like in the threads we have for monthly goals.

I hope that clears things up for you; try riding more, less, not at all, and with a more stringent deadline.
Old 06-12-12, 02:16 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And you should never feel like you should have to ride. Gold is right, do something else for a little while. It makes you appreciate all the places and miles you have put in.

I commute all the time and take long rides on the weekends. If I do not want to ride I am either:

1- Tired of riding. Legs are tired. I take a rest
2- Lazy. Then I just ride because I always appreciate it afterwards.

I would not be able to just ride to ride without recording miles (and sometimes elevation). I love to see the miles add up every week, month and year.
Old 06-12-12, 02:16 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I hope that clears things up for you; try riding more, less, not at all, and with a more stringent deadline.
Hey.... he asked. We all have our own ways!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.