Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

On the Road Again Project Challenges - Again

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

On the Road Again Project Challenges - Again

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-24, 07:56 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 193 Posts
From the frame up Fuji Finest

This project started after I acquired a mystery frame from my friend Addison after he closed the Bicycle Repairium in Sacramento. There was a thread on this where the BF hive mind helped me identify the frame as a June 1971 Fuji Finest.

This is a true from the frame up project after I stripped it down to bare metal and have been acquiring parts and building it up. Spent the last couple of weeks building wheels for it, painting the frame and applying period and model accurate water slide decals from Gus Salmon. Letting the decals cure for a few days and then it is time for the 2k clear coat. Here is a sneak preview:

Frame as received from Addison.

After media blasting.

Found a head badge that matched the rivet holes in the head tube

Tracked down a Fuji branded Belt saddle

Some assembly required!

Primer coat done!

Finished the wheel build.

First coat of paint.

Hade enough left over to paint a matching set of fenders.
Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 04-22-24, 01:50 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2462 Post(s)
Liked 3,174 Times in 2,001 Posts
Awesome job on that Fuji!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Old 04-22-24, 05:59 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
Well I finished hooking it up and it stops the bike, so I guess I'll stick with it for now. I am not sure I want to go the centerpull route it would just look even funnier to me.

My next question is, what common vintage rear derailleur can work with a 9 speed cassette? I tried a cyclone mk-II long cage and it only goes up to the 8th cog (2nd gear). I think the cable is tight enough, and the adjustment screw is all the way out. The shifter is a Shimano BS50 in friction mode. I have a deore dx somewhere, would that work? Or is it the shifter? This is actually the first time I've tried anything over 7 cogs, so I've no clue.

Alternatively, if I use a smaller cassette such as a 7 or 8 speed, would I need to stick a spacer on the hub? Or no?
It could be the shifter. The Shimano 8-speed down tube index/friction shifter on the 16-speed bike I once owned rotated nearly 180 degrees to shift across the corresponding 8-speed cassette. If I'm not mistaken, your cyclone rear derailleur was designed to be compatible with a pre-indexing shift lever with a larger barrel, which would result in more cable travel (and thus more rear derailleur movement) per degree of lever rotation.

An easy test: with the bike on a repair stand, turn the cranks with your right hand while pushing the bottom of the rear derailleur parallelogram inward with your left hand. With the inner-limit screw backed out all the way, the chain should easily reach the cassette's largest cog. (Be careful not to overshoot and push the chain into the spokes!)

If the chain does indeed reach the largest cog, that tells you that the problem would likely be solved by replacing the index/friction shifter with a shifter from the pre-indexing era.

Last edited by Trakhak; 04-22-24 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-22-24, 07:26 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,353 Times in 2,187 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Yes, Wien / Vienna, where the Capo bicycle company was founded in 1930 and resurrected by Otto Cap's son, Harald, ca. 1990. He is on top of the Vienna statehouse.
-----

one can only wonder how the heck they got him mounted up thar!

unlikely to have been helicopters extant at that epoch...

perhaps ein kranischer gigante

-----
Old 04-22-24, 07:35 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,353 Times in 2,187 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
I'm thinking of participating in this challenge so I started looking for suitable candidates. I came across a FB Marketplace ad for a "Burleigh road bicycle". I've come up empty trying to find information on this bike. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this bike before? Is it bike shop quality or was it sold at Toys R Us in 1970s? It appears to have a lugged frame and there is a downtube sticker that says "Chrome Molybdenum".

Here are a couple of images from the ad:

-----

Ach Du lederkrans!

Krautkraft im farben.

Perchance a perpetration of someone such as Kalkhoff...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-22-24 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spellin'
Old 04-22-24, 09:08 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Tearing Down the Ross

I dismantled the Ross yesterday, cleaned the frame and components and applied a light coat of boiled linseed oil to the frame this morning.

Ross frame and fork wiped down with boiled linseed oil.

No polishing - just a basic cleaning.

During the tear down I determined a new headset, chain and rim strips were needed. Mucho Cheapo of course. I would normally opt for rim tape but there is that budget to consider.

Expenses so far:
Mucho Cheapo Ross - $10.00
Mucho Cheapo Neco headset - $9.90
Mucho Cheapo 7-speed chain - $9.96
Mucho Cheapo Amazon rim strips - $7.49

Mucho Cheapo expenses to date - $37.35
Old 04-24-24, 11:57 AM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: Austro Daimler SLE

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 58 Posts
Can I play? Frame up.

Started with 1982 AD SLE frame and fork with Tange headset.
Has shimano Hubs, freewheel, RD,crankset, BB,chainrings, brakes, levers,and shifters.
Suntour ARX FD
Araya rims
BELLERI St. Etienne Bars with ATAX quill stem.
Galli Mallard pedals
Continetal ultra sport tires
ANPI seat post.

Likes For Strawbunyan:
Old 04-25-24, 05:56 AM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 21 Posts
re (It started with a part) I just had-to-get one of those 3-pulley derailleurs last November!
Likes For darnet:
Old 04-25-24, 07:58 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 1,599 Times in 742 Posts
Yup, the 2024 build is going to be weird, since it started that way.

A Swedish bike with French BB and ISO steerer. High quality tubes (Vitus 971) and lugs, yet crudely assembled.

The horrible paint removal of this tough stuff is nearly done. Next is the braze-ons; bottle cage mounts, shifter bosses, cable stop under the chainstay, and housing covers for internal routing of the rear brake cable.
Cresent Pepita 318
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 04-25-24, 08:36 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 67 Posts
Clarification needed...

I've stalled out on this heap over multiple Clunker challenges:

The frame was picked out of a trash heap and the wheelset was $25.

EDIT: While I think I can bring it in under the mucho-cheapo budget the result will fit MUCH better in Frankenbike
Likes For RandolphCarter:
Old 04-26-24, 02:25 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
I love these threads..!
Old 04-26-24, 06:51 AM
darnet

Bikes: 4 Raleigh's (1 International, 3 Super Course), 2 Miyata (610, Alumicross), one each Bianchi Eros, Fuji Cross Pro, Lotus Excelle, Paramount Series 7 Carbon,Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek something mountain bike, Univega Super Strada, Wheeler Tremosinep

Originally Posted by hazetguy
I'm in! I guess I'll go for the "mucho cheapo" category again, although I'm going to feel a little bad because I know I'll be replacing some stuff with parts that have been in my possession for quite some time which adds $0 to the total.
Anyway....
I picked up a Motobecane Grand Record at the local bike thrift store a a couple weeks ago for $37.50 ($35 plus tax).
As purchased, loaded up at the thrift store:

Here is a "before" pic:

The only thing I've done to it up to this point was air up the extremely dry rotted tires and rode up and down my short driveway a couple times. I also gave hardware and some components some lube, in preparation for teardown during The Challenge timeframe. I'm happy The Challenge has begun, because I've been itching to get working on this.
I began disassembling some things today, the rack was the first thing to go!

Looks a bit like a bike I found last fall at my town's transfer station re-use table (except for it's a Huffy; might be my ride this year). Pics as-found, plus bonus pic of re-use table from up above....

Likes For darnet:
Old 04-26-24, 07:26 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 145 Posts
Why not… 1974 Schwinn Continental. Picked it up for $13. Was supposed to be a quick flip. The snowball started rolling with the chrome fork crown cap. The original was cracked. I found one on ebay. I paid a ridiculous $30. Evaporust, Bar Keepers friend, Flitz, clay bar, rubbing compound, liquid carnuba wax, new decals, Schwinn cables/housings, Hunt-Wilde bar tape, etc. I stopped keeping track after $100. Restoration? Close to being on the road again. The most over restored Schwinn on BF for the year award?

Old 04-26-24, 12:30 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by darnet
Looks a bit like a bike I found last fall at my town's transfer station re-use table (except for it's a Huffy; might be my ride this year). Pics as-found, plus bonus pic of re-use table from up above....
I wish they had something like that where I live. The closest thing would be the people who set things out by the road a few days before trash day. The township has a large item collection a couple times a year, but everything goes straight in a dumpster. They have one for metal and another one for everything else. A couple weeks ago I was going past the township building while they were having a collection and I spotted a girl's bike hanging off the back of a truck as they turned in. A couple hours later, I was buying one at a flea market to fix up for my niece. It was a '92 Schwinn CrissCross for $20. I was scrambling to get it finished in time for my next trip over there and forgot to get a picture.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-26-24, 01:28 PM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
Why not… 1974 Schwinn Continental. Picked it up for $13. Was supposed to be a quick flip. The snowball started rolling...
Such a great color!!
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 04-26-24, 02:09 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 644 Posts
Originally Posted by RandolphCarter
Clarification needed...

I've stalled out on this heap over multiple Clunker challenges:

The frame was picked out of a trash heap and the wheelset was $25.

EDIT: While I think I can bring it in under the mucho-cheapo budget the result will fit MUCH better in Frankenbike
One build can be submitted in multiple categories.
Old 04-26-24, 02:16 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Why not… 1974 Schwinn Continental. Picked it up for $13. Was supposed to be a quick flip. The snowball started rolling with the chrome fork crown cap. The original was cracked. I found one on ebay. I paid a ridiculous $30. Evaporust, Bar Keepers friend, Flitz, clay bar, rubbing compound, liquid carnuba wax, new decals, Schwinn cables/housings, Hunt-Wilde bar tape, etc. I stopped keeping track after $100. Restoration? Close to being on the road again. The most over restored Schwinn on BF for the year award?

I'm not certain if it is an artifact of the camera angle, or whether it's the positioning of the cap, or if the fork is truly a bit cock-eyed, but if you haven't already measured it, it couldn't hurt to check it.

That's not the absolute best condition that I've seen one of those in, but it's close to it.
Old 04-26-24, 02:22 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

More Progress on the Fuji Finest

Frame is now ready for the build. In checking the frame before the final polish, I found that it needed to be cold set back to 120 from 126 and the hangar needed to be aligned. Pretty happy with how it came out. I’m no Jack Trumbull but this came out pretty sharp for a rattle can job. Good prep and a lot of sanding makes all the difference.

Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 04-26-24, 02:48 PM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by Sactown_Albert
Pretty happy with how it came out. I’m no Jack Trumbull but this came out pretty sharp for a rattle can job. Good prep and a lot of sanding makes all the difference.
Super!!
Old 04-26-24, 05:22 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Sactown_Albert
Frame is now ready for the build. In checking the frame before the final polish, I found that it needed to be cold set back to 120 from 126 and the hangar needed to be aligned. Pretty happy with how it came out. I’m no Jack Trumbull but this came out pretty sharp for a rattle can job. Good prep and a lot of sanding makes all the difference.
The frame is gorgeous as is the flooring in your home.
Old 04-26-24, 07:30 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Gotta love the vintage stuff!

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
The frame is gorgeous as is the flooring in your home.
I like bikes of a certain age and houses, too!
Old 04-26-24, 10:26 PM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I'm not certain if it is an artifact of the camera angle, or whether it's the positioning of the cap, or if the fork is truly a bit cock-eyed, but if you haven't already measured it, it couldn't hurt to check it.

That's not the absolute best condition that I've seen one of those in, but it's close to it.
It must be the cap. At least I hope so. That was the cracked one. If I missed a tweaked fork again, I’ll be upset. Which usually leads to a man size temper tantrum. Those have been expensive in my experience…

Awaiting shipment of the last part. Some more housing for the derailleur cables. No pics from today. But I did set up the brakes. Then I realized I shoulda put the rear rack on first. Oops.

A full body shot from the other day just because:

Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 04-26-24, 10:48 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 1,420 Posts

Wow, that turned out freakin' nice!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-27-24, 05:22 AM
darnet

Originally Posted by Pompiere
I wish they had something like that where I live. The closest thing would be the people who set things out by the road a few days before trash day. The township has a large item collection a couple times a year, but everything goes straight in a dumpster. They have one for metal and another one for everything else. A couple weeks ago I was going past the township building while they were having a collection and I spotted a girl's bike hanging off the back of a truck as they turned in. A couple hours later, I was buying one at a flea market to fix up for my niece. It was a '92 Schwinn CrissCross for $20. I was scrambling to get it finished in time for my next trip over there and forgot to get a picture.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our small town does not provide for trash pickup. We bring ours to the town dump (transfer station).

We were once featured in a New York Times article!! https://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/13/us/13dump.html

Back then, the re-use table was up top on the same level as the other disposal and recycling. After the table caught fire, they moved it to the area down below.
Old 04-27-24, 08:06 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

It must be the cap. At least I hope so. That was the cracked one. If I missed a tweaked fork again, I’ll be upset. Which usually leads to a man size temper tantrum. Those have been expensive in my experience…

Actually, the cap was what I thought was most likely. Hope that's what it was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.