Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seat Post Seized

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Seat Post Seized

Old 08-07-19, 03:17 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I found the old seatpost, surprisingly. It is definitely a 27.2 mm SP.

I have no experience with how tight a SP should be, so don't know how to make a judgment here. But a inside the seat tube cleaning could hardly hurt. I don't know what my LBS did in that regard.

dave
Dave, it would be interesting (for us in the Peanut Gallery) to know if the old post fits well, or is very snug like your new one.

Or maybe you are done with seat posts for a while, who could blame you.
Old 08-07-19, 04:26 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Only one bike? Shame
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Dave, it would be interesting (for us in the Peanut Gallery) to know if the old post fits well, or is very snug like your new one.

Or maybe you are done with seat posts for a while, who could blame you.
This experience and going 5 days without the bike was a significant part of, but hardly the only reason, I just ordered a Emonda SL 6 (see https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...er-bike-2.html ).

I started this adventure with the seemingly trivial goal of moving my saddle nose 1/16". I ended up without a bike for 5 days (plus spent a ton of time accomplishing nothing). So I will be proceeding cautiously until I have a backup. Since the existing (relatively high end) seat post was unusable, and my LBS didn't have a decent 27.2mm SP in stock, I just had them install a very low end aluminum SP (at a basically throw away price) to get me back on the road. When the new bike comes in and I make a permanent decision regarding a right SP for the Bianchi, I will be further exploring this issue on my Bianchi. I will post what I learn.

In the meantime I am riding again! I rode 38 miles today, no Chamois Butter, and no chaffing or other unexpected discomfort in my seat bone area!

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 08-07-19, 10:54 PM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I base my sizing not on measurements, once the seat tube is cleaned I'll grab my box of seat posts (aluminum for my personal bikes) and slide one in there see how she fits. minimum slack (or play) so it doesn't drop on the BB, so there's minimum clamping