Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

NYC Police Officer Tickets Me For Running Red Light

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NYC Police Officer Tickets Me For Running Red Light

Old 02-03-20, 01:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-03-20, 02:42 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Keep in mind that paying tickets is completely optional. To avoid it, all you have to do is obey the law.

Very correct!!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 02-03-20, 05:07 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
I ride with a few retired cops. We discuss these issues quite often. Their attitude was pretty much the tree in the woods scenario. If they didn't see you do it, it's not a crime. My favorite was when one of them got pulled over at the veterans home in Yountville by a security guard. He ran a stop in the parking lot and the guy came unglued on him. I laughed, and told him I would be a witness at his hearing. He now regrets me being anywhere near that one.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-04-20, 09:32 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oregon apparently passed a new rolling stop law.

https://www.kptv.com/news/new-oregon...3113d7bee.html

I think Idaho has the "Idaho Stop", and apparently has had it for some time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop

Perhaps an option is to write to one's local legislator about different safety requirements for bikes and cars. Of course, realizing that bikes still must act in a safe and appropriate manner. And, many of these crackdowns are done in response to bad actors, or accidents in which the cyclist is at fault.
Arkansas passed a new bike law last summer. Cyclist can treat a stop light like a stop sign and stop sign as a yield sign.
Old 02-04-20, 09:36 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock
Arkansas passed a new bike law last summer. Cyclist can treat a stop light like a stop sign and stop sign as a yield sign.
Meanwhile, the biggest effort California is making is to allow cyclists to legally proceed straight from a dedicated right turn lane. Which is something I do every single day I'm on the road, because I'm in favor of not getting run over by a car.

Genuinely not surprised by the sheer volume of "letter of the law" folks in this thread. They're always worth a chuckle.
Old 02-04-20, 11:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Genuinely not surprised by the sheer volume of "letter of the law" folks in this thread. They're always worth a chuckle.
The sanctimony of the would-be McGruffs also is good for a laff.
Old 02-04-20, 11:47 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
You can't expect to have it both ways. We want car drivers to follow the laws. But many cyclists want to make up their own rules as they go. The trouble is, drivers don't know and can't predict what made-up rules the cyclist might be following. If a car driver decides to make up their own rule at the same time a cyclist does the same, BAD things can happen.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 02-04-20, 01:19 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
You can't expect to have it both ways. We want car drivers to follow the laws. But many cyclists want to make up their own rules as they go. The trouble is, drivers don't know and can't predict what made-up rules the cyclist might be following. If a car driver decides to make up their own rule at the same time a cyclist does the same, BAD things can happen.
They don't, even cops roll red lights and stop signs. What's new about that?

Around here cops are 100% in tune to speeders and drunks. Almost zero focus on reds and the other petty stuff. The intersections with problems they plant a red light camera there. They do ticket, but it's gotta be pretty bad. They're also really tolerant of a clipped-in half mph roll for a turn. They're not THAT stupid here to know how a bike works, or a motorcycle. I bet they do "get it" more since motorcycles are really common here and they have the "red light cycle" law for stops.
Old 02-04-20, 02:46 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals

If you think that you are in some kind of symbiotic relationship with drivers, you're deluding yourself. People behind the wheel do not regard bicycles as anything more than an impediment, without regard to how the person operating the bicycle is behaving. I don't expect anything from drivers, because they will inevitably disappoint. I've been cut off-- badly-- by cars with bike racks on them, with bikes actually on the racks. The mindset of a cyclist and that of a driver are often diametrically opposed. I don't give a tinker's damn what anyone behind the wheel thinks of me, so long as they do not bring their vehicle into contact with mine. Traffic laws are in place because people can and will behave in such a way as to endanger the lives of others. No matter what level of scofflaw I achieve, I put no one other than myself at risk-- my mode of transportation is not a ton and a half of steel that operates on captive explosions . That's just the point-- cycling on an open road is a calculated risk, just as is jumping a light or rolling a stop sign.

A cop ticketing a cyclist for rolling a stop sign is absurd, because it implies that financial burden = individual safety; you get a ticket, you'll be "safer in the future." It's hogwash. People operate cars distracted, driving at whatever speeds they see fit, and are willing to endanger the lives of others in order to get home a little sooner. I ride a bike for purely selfish reasons-- I'm spending time alone, doing something that is beneficial to no one but myself. So when I ride, I follow my own set of rules, and the written rules be damned. Because those rules set forth by the city, state, county, or whomever are not interested with my safety as a cyclist, full stop. I am full in my faculties, and know how to behave in such a manner to maintain my safety. I don't need to come to a full and complete stop at every single intersection, because I can judge every single intersection as it should be treated, and proceed safely with anything from a complete stop to not even slowing down. Safety is not guaranteed by any posted sign or written law. It is maintained by calculating risks, and acting appropriately.

You're every bit as likely to get hit from behind while standing at a stop sign as you are to get right hooked, or pulled out in front of by a driver simply not paying attention. There are variables that can never be eliminated, so long as one chooses to ride on open roads. So I travel bearing my own safety in mind. I don't care what drivers think. Wanna honk at me because I didn't full-stop at that four way and you had to? Go right ahead, at least that means you saw me. Do you know how many times in 50,000 miles I've almost run into a car? None. Zero. It's never happened. Do you know how many times a car has pulled in front of me out of a parking lot, or squeezed me into a curb to make a right turn, or any number of "I swear I just didn't even see him" type of situations? How much time have you got? I never once relied on the law to protect me. I relied on me to protect me.
Old 02-04-20, 03:43 PM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
If you think that you are in some kind of symbiotic relationship with drivers, you're deluding yourself. People behind the wheel do not regard bicycles as anything more than an impediment, without regard to how the person operating the bicycle is behaving. I don't expect anything from drivers, because they will inevitably disappoint. I've been cut off-- badly-- by cars with bike racks on them, with bikes actually on the racks. The mindset of a cyclist and that of a driver are often diametrically opposed. I don't give a tinker's damn what anyone behind the wheel thinks of me, so long as they do not bring their vehicle into contact with mine. Traffic laws are in place because people can and will behave in such a way as to endanger the lives of others. No matter what level of scofflaw I achieve, I put no one other than myself at risk-- my mode of transportation is not a ton and a half of steel that operates on captive explosions . That's just the point-- cycling on an open road is a calculated risk, just as is jumping a light or rolling a stop sign.

A cop ticketing a cyclist for rolling a stop sign is absurd, because it implies that financial burden = individual safety; you get a ticket, you'll be "safer in the future." It's hogwash. People operate cars distracted, driving at whatever speeds they see fit, and are willing to endanger the lives of others in order to get home a little sooner. I ride a bike for purely selfish reasons-- I'm spending time alone, doing something that is beneficial to no one but myself. So when I ride, I follow my own set of rules, and the written rules be damned. Because those rules set forth by the city, state, county, or whomever are not interested with my safety as a cyclist, full stop. I am full in my faculties, and know how to behave in such a manner to maintain my safety. I don't need to come to a full and complete stop at every single intersection, because I can judge every single intersection as it should be treated, and proceed safely with anything from a complete stop to not even slowing down. Safety is not guaranteed by any posted sign or written law. It is maintained by calculating risks, and acting appropriately.

You're every bit as likely to get hit from behind while standing at a stop sign as you are to get right hooked, or pulled out in front of by a driver simply not paying attention. There are variables that can never be eliminated, so long as one chooses to ride on open roads. So I travel bearing my own safety in mind. I don't care what drivers think. Wanna honk at me because I didn't full-stop at that four way and you had to? Go right ahead, at least that means you saw me. Do you know how many times in 50,000 miles I've almost run into a car? None. Zero. It's never happened. Do you know how many times a car has pulled in front of me out of a parking lot, or squeezed me into a curb to make a right turn, or any number of "I swear I just didn't even see him" type of situations? How much time have you got? I never once relied on the law to protect me. I relied on me to protect me.
just another road user that thinks they are better than the law. Not following the rules makes you the same as the cage drivers you complain about,
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:
Old 02-04-20, 04:06 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Driving a motorized vehicle that is operated by an individual & meets the requirements of necessitating a title & registration requires proper licensing/certification. That type of requirement is to also adhere to road laws established for the privilege of having the license/certification.
I bicycle does not meet the above requirements, & a bicycle is not based on privileges. In America, operating a bicycle is a freedom of choice & often for improving one's health.
Old 02-05-20, 05:58 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Something I thought about as reading this. All of my emergency info is available off my locked home screen. I don’t have a drivers license with me if not commuting or going to the store. I just wonder how they would process that.
Old 02-05-20, 06:59 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Meanwhile, the biggest effort California is making is to allow cyclists to legally proceed straight from a dedicated right turn lane. Which is something I do every single day I'm on the road, because I'm in favor of not getting run over by a car.

I treat dedicate right turn lanes as dedicated right turn lanes if I'm riding straight through. I signal and then merge left into the right-most straight through lane. that avoids the dreaded right-hook of a vehicle passing me and then turning in front of me in that dedicated right turn lane. Personally, I think riding straight through in a dedicated right turn lane is a dangerous thing to do.

I've nearly been hit a few times (as I proceeded straight in the right most through lane) by bicycles and vehicles that went straight through a dedicated right turn lane rather than turning as they should have done.

Cheers
Old 02-05-20, 07:23 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
NY here, with some practical advice to the OP: try to avoid more tickets, as the price escalates. A friend got hit with two red light violations on his bicycle, one for 500 and the last for 1000. Apparently he already had one ticket prior.
Old 02-05-20, 07:36 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
If you commit an infraction and can't be identified you can be held until your identity is established.
Old 02-05-20, 07:37 AM
rebel1916

Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Something I thought about as reading this. All of my emergency info is available off my locked home screen. I don’t have a drivers license with me if not commuting or going to the store. I just wonder how they would process that.
Originally Posted by Troul
It should be called out in your local laws for the legal distance a police patrol officer is allowed to follow you without cause.
That footage you have could have the ticket thrown out.
This is not a thing.
Old 02-05-20, 07:45 AM
rebel1916

Originally Posted by dedhed
Around here it isn't a suggestion, but a requirement.
https://communityjournal.net/epidemi...-unacceptable/
Holy cow that was hilarious.
Old 02-05-20, 08:47 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC
just another road user that thinks they are better than the law. Not following the rules makes you the same as the cage drivers you complain about,
Just another forum poster without a sense of perspective. Not allowing for common sense makes you the same as authoritarian bootlickers.

See how fun this can be!

Last edited by Notso_fastLane; 02-05-20 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 02-05-20, 11:38 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
There's someone here in BikeForums who had a thread about how to run red lights and stop signs properly. I guess that's why the OP got a ticket. It wasn't done properly.

I don't know how to run reds and stop signs properly so I don't do it.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-05-20, 12:22 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC
You have never ridden in traffic if you don't understand how breaking the law can enhance cyclist safety. Get some experience then come back and have an informed discussion.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-05-20, 12:24 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Every single time drive or ride I break the law. It's that way with every one I know, everyone I have observed and everyone I have has an honest discussion with. If I am ever fortunate enough to get a ticket riding my bicycle, I am going to frame it.
Old 02-05-20, 01:17 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Every single time drive or ride I break the law. It's that way with every one I know, everyone I have observed and everyone I have has an honest discussion with. If I am ever fortunate enough to get a ticket riding my bicycle, I am going to frame it.
Yes, everyone breaks the law.
But only some people seem to think it's unfair that they get a ticket for breaking the law when they get caught breaking the law.
Old 02-05-20, 01:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18348 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
I don't understand people. If you know you did it and say you did it, then pay up.
I've been subjected to police harassment, police intimidation, and police flagrantly breaking the law.

And, a lot of these tickets are absolutely irrelevant. The OP stopped, then we assume proceeded when it was safe, perhaps even putting himself in a more visible location on the road. Did he enter a traffic lane before green?

So... no... I won't lie in court (unlike the criminal police officers), but will ask for my day in court.
Old 02-05-20, 01:32 PM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
You have never ridden in traffic if you don't understand how breaking the law can enhance cyclist safety. Get some experience then come back and have an informed discussion.
I understand riding in traffic, I rode a bike back in the late 80's and early 90's. I've been riding motorcycles on the street from the late 80's. So, yes i understand.
Old 02-05-20, 02:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
And actually improve auto traffic flow. I think a lot of drivers don't understand that. Here is Philly, our many narrow streets and things like delivery trucks blocking lanes scream for the Idaho Stop law.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.