Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New bike search: Aluminum frame with SRAM Force 1x, or LBS groupset swap?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 11:24 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts

Is anyone aware of a bike manufacturer currently selling a CX (or gravel, or even a road bike that can accommodate up to 33mm tires) bike with a SRAM Force 1x spec, but with an aluminum frame?

Follow up question: Has anyone ever had an LBS swap out a groupset on a new bike? (i.e. I purchase an aluminum frame SRAM Rival 1x bike and they swap everything out for Force?) Is this possible with just paying the cost difference between groupsets (and maybe some additional for labor) or would I have to buy a complete new groupset?

I realize I could just call an LBS and ask them, but am interested to hear from others as it might help me target specific shops.
Old 02-10-20, 11:59 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
The Trek Crockett 7 comes with Force 1x...that's the only one that I can think of.

Regarding your second question, I'm guessing it will come down to the shop and/or your relationship with them. They may be willing to work out a deal, or they may not.
I think the best option is to either buy just the frameset and build it yourself, or to do the swap yourself. You'll most likely be able to get a better price online, and you can sell the current one to recoup some money. I've done that with three bikes, and it's saved me a ton of money.
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 02-10-20, 12:57 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by melikebikey35
The Trek Crockett 7 comes with Force 1x...that's the only one that I can think of.

Regarding your second question, I'm guessing it will come down to the shop and/or your relationship with them. They may be willing to work out a deal, or they may not.
I think the best option is to either buy just the frameset and build it yourself, or to do the swap yourself. You'll most likely be able to get a better price online, and you can sell the current one to recoup some money. I've done that with three bikes, and it's saved me a ton of money.
Wow, thanks! I haven't looked at Trek bikes in a long time, but that Crockett 7 might be exactly what I'm looking for.

Also, good thought about a DIY approach. I like to do a lot of work myself, so building a bike from scratch could be a fun project. SRAM groupsets seem hard to find online so I've struggled to price this out, but I have seen a Force 1x hydro sets listed for around $1500. I'd still need to add a bunch of other stuff (bars, stem, seatpost, headset, saddle) and also a wheelset. From that perspective, a complete Crockett 7 with SRAM Force for $2350 seems like a steal.
Old 02-10-20, 01:33 PM
melikebikey35

I'm not too familiar with SRAM groupset prices, but $1500 for Force 1x seems INSANELY expensive...that's Ultegra Di2 hydro pricing. You should be able to get everything for under $1000.
But, if that's what it really costs, then yah, the Crockett 7 is total deal.
Old 02-10-20, 05:11 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Felt Breed 20.

2019 Fuji Cross 1.1.
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 02-10-20, 05:18 PM
loheiman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not answering your question but curious why you're so set on Force 1x groupset? There's several options with the Rival 1 groupset and as far as i know, they're identical in performance, with only slight differences in weight. The largest difference in weight is the crankset (200g difference). Maybe go rival groupset and upgrade the crankset for ~$200?
Old 02-10-20, 07:33 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
You can get a carbon fiber motobecane with Force 1 for $1800. You could get it and do a full swap, and still have a thru axle carbon frame and fork to sell.

Or you know, just ride it.

What is this aluminum frame you have your heart set on?

Last edited by rosefarts; 02-10-20 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 11:04 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by melikebikey35
I'm not too familiar with SRAM groupset prices, but $1500 for Force 1x seems INSANELY expensive...that's Ultegra Di2 hydro pricing. You should be able to get everything for under $1000.
But, if that's what it really costs, then yah, the Crockett 7 is total deal.
Good point, $1500 was indeed high.
I got a quote from an LBS yesterday and their price (SRAM Force 1x groupset including a crankset and bottom bracket) is $1279.
Old 02-11-20, 11:19 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by loheiman
Not answering your question but curious why you're so set on Force 1x groupset? There's several options with the Rival 1 groupset and as far as i know, they're identical in performance, with only slight differences in weight. The largest difference in weight is the crankset (200g difference). Maybe go rival groupset and upgrade the crankset for ~$200?
My current bike is 7 years old, with a SRAM Force 1x groupset that is 3 years old. I love the performance of everything except the cantilever brakes, so my goal is to get something with disc brakes.
I'm sure Rival works fine with minimal differences, but it does seem like a slight downgrade from my current Force groupset. Maybe that's OK and I'm not ruling out Rival, just asking the question to see if there are options out there with Force that I may have missed.
Old 02-11-20, 11:34 AM
loheiman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
My current bike is 7 years old, with a SRAM Force 1x groupset that is 3 years old. I love the performance of everything except the cantilever brakes, so my goal is to get something with disc brakes.
I'm sure Rival works fine with minimal differences, but it does seem like a slight downgrade from my current Force groupset. Maybe that's OK and I'm not ruling out Rival, just asking the question to see if there are options out there with Force that I may have missed.
That makes sense. However I think you'll notice a much larger difference between frames then you would between Force/Rival groupsets therefore I would expand your search to include Rival builds and get the frame that best suits you.
Old 02-11-20, 12:16 PM
melikebikey35

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Good point, $1500 was indeed high.
I got a quote from an LBS yesterday and their price (SRAM Force 1x groupset including a crankset and bottom bracket) is $1279.
If that includes the install labor, than that's probably not too bad (I still think it's high for 1x mechanical. But, then again, I'm used to Shimano pricing).
I think once you factor in the resale value of the Rival, it will probably work out to being about the same price as buying a bike with Force already equipped...and it opens up a lot more options, frame wise.

I still think that the Crockett 7 is worth checking out too, though...especially while it's on sale.
Old 02-13-20, 11:09 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by rosefarts
You can get a carbon fiber motobecane with Force 1 for $1800. You could get it and do a full swap, and still have a thru axle carbon frame and fork to sell.

Or you know, just ride it.

What is this aluminum frame you have your heart set on?
I don't have my heart set on any particular frame, more of just a general desire to spend my money where it will matter the most. I don't really care about brand and have previously had a good experience with a Fuji mountain bike (it was aluminum) that I purchased from Bikes Direct.

I'm mostly riding smooth gravel and paved trails, occasional group road rides and participate in 7-8 CX races each fall. I ride/race for fitness more than competitiveness. As mentioned, I have SRAM Force 1x now on an aluminum frame and like it, it always works well even in muddy CX conditions. I just wish it had disc brakes.

I've never owned a carbon bike, but I have taken friends carbon CX bikes for a spin a few times. The lighter weight is nice, but I'm not convinced that spending extra money on a carbon frame is really worth it for me. I didn't really notice any of the "compliance" stuff that I'm always hearing about, at least not on a grassy/dry CX course. I'm a little leery of the longevity of carbon frames in general, when thinking about banging them around on a CX course, occasional crashing, riding on gravel trails, etc. All the racers I know on carbon bikes seem to be buying new ones every 2-3 years. I have typically rode my aluminum bikes for 6-7 years before buying a new one, and even then I mostly just bought new bikes because I wanted newer tech, not because there was anything wrong with them. Frankly if my current bike had disc brakes I probably wouldn't even be thinking about this.

Maybe I should try to change my mindset and think of bikes as being more disposable? That would make a cheap/generic BD or Chinese open-mold type of build much more attractive. I question if that Motobecane is actually any lighter (or more compliant) than a comparable aluminum frame, but I guess that's beside the point. Just ride it and don't worry if it gets damaged or breaks, since it was super cheap anyway?
Old 02-13-20, 04:25 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I'm not trying to sell you on a BD bike. Just mentioning that they sell the entire bike for $500 less than just a groupo.

I've never had one either. My impression is that they have cheap wheels. Fine if you like a set of heavier training ones and a nicer lighter set for events and epics. They all seem to have 11-36 cassettes instead of something more useful for 1x like 10-42. So that has to be in the budget and it's suddenly not nearly as attractive of a price.

I'd probably strip it and repaint it with spray.bike for pride and vanity. So factor that labor in too.

Probably best to get a better brand on sale.