Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What's everyone's thoughts on a Squid Bikes SO-EZ??

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-20, 12:52 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

I'm mulling over making this my next SS/FG bike. I love that each bike is unique because of the custom paint job, but I'm curious what y'all think about the value.

https://www.squidbikes.com/products/so-ez
https://www.instagram.com/squidbikes/?hl=en

Is the frame worth the $666 base price? ($800 for one w/ a custom paint jobber). Then you've still got to add everything else. Anyone have any experience with the brand or their bikes?
The other bike I was considering was a new All-Ctiy Big Block, but the SO-EZ has way more tire clearance for some SS gravel rides, etc.
Old 05-02-20, 06:55 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
It's got a 135old rear end. Seriously doubt it'll run a 42mm chainline, if that matters to you. Wishbone frames tend to be a bit heavier.

If you like it, go for it. Personally, I'd buy 2 chrome Jurys from BI and have change.
Old 05-02-20, 10:36 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Well... I really do not mean to be rude, but if the welds in the stock photos are presented as so, do you really trust this company? Its got a gimmicky price (that's expensive), only comes in one basic finish without another $100+ investment, and this is not even getting into their sourcing "explanation". This is an American company that sources Taiwan bikes from a UK wholesaler and works with a US spray paint wholesaler to paint them? A little much... For the price you might consider a more established brand.

HOWEVER, I will say the "spray can" jobs are impressive and unique.
Old 05-04-20, 08:02 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
At least they are honest:THE FINISH QUALITY WILL BE IMPERFECT: It’s built into the whole concept here, but it bears repeating: these frames are painted using spray paint! It’s absolutely excellent spray paint (we use Spray.Bike products exclusively), and we have gotten reasonably experienced using it, but these frames won’t come out looking like professional paint jobs. There will almost always be some small imperfections, overspray, or other small blemishes. Usually we don’t leave drips, but it’s possible. With that said, if you are using the bike the way it is intended to be used, we won’t leave any screw ups worse than what you will do to in in the first few months of riding.

THESE MIGHT TAKE A LONG TIME: We actually don’t know about this one, since we are just starting, but it seems like a good warning to give. After we receive your order, your frame will be placed in the queue, and then we will paint it as soon as we can. We really like painting frames, so we expect to actually be fairly good at clearing the list. However, we get really busy sometimes (especially during CX season) and there may be some delays. When we email about details we can estimate this wait as well. If it seems too long we are happy to give you your money back and tell you how best to DIYFS!

THESE WILL NOT LOOK EXACTLY LIKE YOU EXPECT: We haven’t yet painted a bike that turned out exactly how we planned. Halfway through most paint jobs there is some change that needs to happen, or some new idea that we only figured out because we were seeing how the bike progressed. If you want something specific with your design, we will try and stay close to what you want. But these will never be 100% made to order, and a little flexibility and willingness to accept surprise should be the plan going in. If that doesn’t sound good, probably best to find a professional painter, or DIYFS!
Old 05-04-20, 08:31 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Yeah I'm not as worried about the paint-job, I'm more interested in the build quality of the frame, weight, tubing, etc. I've read they build the bikes in the US, but maybe not all of them? The SO-EZ is made in Taiwan I guess?
Old 05-04-20, 09:19 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Squid is a cool brand, so you're paying cool brand prices for them. Is an unpainted Taiwan made steel "tracklocross" frame worth $666 to you? IMO it's not. I like Squid bikes but I wouldn't buy one at their prices unless I had a lot of disposable income to throw around.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 05-04-20, 10:32 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
You can get a complete All-City Super Professional with clearance for 45's for 1299
Old 05-04-20, 10:45 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
This is from their website:
Made in Taiwan and in collaboration with Brick Lane Bikes and Spray.Bike.

There are some high quality builders in Taiwan whose work rivals the best Japanese. There are certainly some that don't.

And yes, some of their bikes are made in California according to their website. Just not this model.
Old 05-04-20, 08:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
The price is cute. But I would rather have the All City Super Profesh because it has thru axles and disc brakes and me likey. I have already done a build sheet for one though I am still trying to figure out what I want to do for wheels if I end up with it. I will probably do i9 SS hubs so I can have crazy engagement and run those sexy WTC stainless cogs. Though the idea of getting a Paul Fixed WORD also crossed the old noggin for if I ever wanted to do that whole tarckolcross thing that the youts are into these days.

Would love to have a Squid paint job though because they do neat things but honestly I am fine with my Cinelli Mash Work for a SS with canti brakes it is known Columbus tubing from a well known brand (and some shop in SF) and has been a fantastic ride
Old 05-08-20, 11:56 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
for the price i'd rather have a mash steel. they seem to be sold out though.
Old 06-09-20, 10:57 AM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I see no reason to get that frame over a Jury. Add a carbon disc for for <$100. You can run 40c tires.