Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Evolution of my 2015 Giant Reign

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 01:18 AM
SquishyBiker

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts

Hi peeps, thought I would put up something about my poor bike, and what I put it through, and where its at now.
For me, I'm 110kg, ok technical ability, but my poor Santa Cruz 29 was getting beaten up on the local trails - 100mm of travel wasn't working for me.

In 2014, I saw a prototype Giant mountain bike that I decided I wanted - it was raising eyebrows everywhere, and got lots of people talking about some radical design elements

In 2015, I had the opportunity to buy it, and it radically changed how I started riding - I was able to smash through lots of things, and jumping was a lot more forgiving with the available travel.

In 2019 I finally got my hands on a lockout rear shock for it, after battling with trying to get the setup right with my, ahem, extra weight - after adding this, I could setup the bike more for the downhills, and lock it out for the climbs. I also changed the dropper to a Fox, as the Reverb started giving me issues.

Then no sooner had I done that, and I wiped the bike off the roof rack with an overhead beam, and did a heap of damage to the poor thing, so I gave it a wheel and tire upgrade, and went tubeless.

Just recently, I found an eagle setup for cheap, so naturally there was only 1 bike for it

And then Covid19 happened ... so for now, these beauties are limited to gravel at present ... but the tracks are opening back up in 5 days

Would I buy the bike again? Sure, as long as I still had the lockout rear shock - its a bloody nice bike to ride, and the only real problems I have had have been with the dropper and the stupid Guide brakes.
So whats next for the Reign? Unsure at this stage, but if I have any trouble with the front forks, I'll most likely put some Fox 38 170mm forks on the front...

Anyone else on here with a Giant Reign?
Likes For SquishyBiker:
Old 05-11-20, 03:07 AM
RollingRubber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beauty!