Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

29rs are fun.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

29rs are fun.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 04:32 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
29rs are fun.

I used to have a Kona Unit 29r singlespeed that I eventually sold because the frame size was always too big for me(though I rode the heck out of it at the time). Have been all-in on 650B since then. My son just got a new 29r hardtail and I've been stealing rides on it - man, I forgot how much those big wheels get you going! I'm not a big guy, about 5'7" and was thinking that I'd be 650B from here on out, but I dunno, there's something to them big hoops for sure....
Likes For pbass:
Old 05-30-20, 06:37 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
About 10 years ago I jumped from 26rs to 29rs when the geometries had you riding like unicycles high up. Though when 27.5rs came out they didn't feel much different from the 26rs so they never caught on for me. Eventually with longer TTs, shorter stays and slacker HT angles, 29rs are feeling just right. The ideal tire size for me are 29x2.4 at the moment. But I'm also gravitating towards 27.5x2.8 for full suspension. Size is close to the 29rs but more contact to the trails to offset my lack of skills.

Then there's the 29+ which is in it's own world. What a fun size, yes turns like wagon wheels but so much rubber. The ultimate bike packing tire size IMO. Long live the 29rs
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 05-30-20, 11:09 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
About 10 years ago I jumped from 26rs to 29rs when the geometries had you riding like unicycles high up. Though when 27.5rs came out they didn't feel much different from the 26rs so they never caught on for me. Eventually with longer TTs, shorter stays and slacker HT angles, 29rs are feeling just right. The ideal tire size for me are 29x2.4 at the moment. But I'm also gravitating towards 27.5x2.8 for full suspension. Size is close to the 29rs but more contact to the trails to offset my lack of skills.

Then there's the 29+ which is in it's own world. What a fun size, yes turns like wagon wheels but so much rubber. The ultimate bike packing tire size IMO. Long live the 29rs
Yeah, we've got 650B and 700c gravel and now 29r mtb again in the garage now. I want my next rig to be for bike packing and long days out in wilderness - 29+ does look pretty cool.
Likes For pbass:
Old 05-30-20, 03:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
been having fun w mine especially experimenting w tires & tire pressure
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-01-20, 06:05 PM
SemperFiV12

Bikes: '93 Trek 8300 Composite, '12 Specialized Tarmac Expert SL3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking to get my first proper mountain bike and I am trying to determine if I should go with the 27.5s or a 29er. Seems like everyone is happy with 29" wheels?

From what I understand the bike loses mobility and nimbleness? But I am coming from a bike with NO suspension, and thinking full suspension may help stability and agility on a bike with 29" wheels?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. I am riding on tame (but natural) terrain and will not be looking to hit any ramps and grab huge air. Just looking for something to get my heart-rate up on a nice climb and instill confidence to actually ride downhill instead of abusing the brakes.

I think I fall int the XC maybe even Trail side of things... but either way will look for 29ers.
Likes For SemperFiV12: