Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New bike, new problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 07:49 PM
pattrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
New bike, new problems

Recently picked up a new Domane. I have used every other frame material out there but have always stayed away from carbon fiber as too delicate for my needs. Now I find myself trying to learn how to maintain and care for the frame. My main question concerns helicopter/ protective tape. Is there any brand that stands out and if so where can I purchase it. Can you remove it easily? Some have said it is the only way to keep the frame from getting severely scarred up? Any maintenance tips? Time for this old dog to learn a few new tricks.
Old 06-08-20, 08:31 PM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I've put thousands of miles on my 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL6 (also carbon fiber) since last October. It has been through hell and back with me through every element and it is absolutely cosmetically spotless. These things are a lot more rugged than you might think.
Old 06-08-20, 08:32 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by pattrick
Recently picked up a new Domane. I have used every other frame material out there but have always stayed away from carbon fiber as too delicate for my needs. Now I find myself trying to learn how to maintain and care for the frame. My main question concerns helicopter/ protective tape. Is there any brand that stands out and if so where can I purchase it. Can you remove it easily? Some have said it is the only way to keep the frame from getting severely scarred up? Any maintenance tips? Time for this old dog to learn a few new tricks.
I've never maintained or "cared for" my carbon frames. They aren't fragile.
Old 06-09-20, 09:51 AM
Boatdriver

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3, Trek Domane SL 5 Gravel, Salsa Cutthroat 2020

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I picked up helicopter tape from Amazon for my carbon Domane. I got both a shiny version and matte version. Matte works better on my paint job. I didn't go crazy, but put a bit where the lines in the front rub on the headset when turning, and my bike rack has an arm support that will occasionally bump against the front fork, so I taped there to avoid wearing off the paint. I didn't bother with the down tube or other spots that might be impacted by stones. I searched, but couldn't remember which tape I specifically ordered, but suspect they are all similar.
Old 06-09-20, 08:22 PM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I was nervous about carbon frames for gravel use, but I have beaten the crap out of my Giant Revolt and it has laughed at everything I’ve thrown at it.
Old 06-10-20, 03:10 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I put some clear vinyl wrap tape on my warbird. From what I understand “helicopter tape” uses a stronger adhesive and would be more difficult to remove than vinyl wrap tape.

I put it in a few key spots based on where I’ve had paint wear and nicks on previous bikes: NDS chainstay, front of the headtube, top of the top tube. It takes a while to cut it to shape and apply it correctly, but I’m happy with the way it turned out. The one spot I feel it’s doing the most good is on the front of the headtube, where some of the cable housing rests against the headtube. I have experienced noticeable paint wear in other bikes in this area due to the movement/vibration of the housing against the paint.
Old 06-10-20, 09:10 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
ISC Racerstape You can look it up on amazon, comes in a bunch of different sizes. Tons of reviews you can read through most of which are bike people.

Now for areas that take a heavy beating on my mtn bikes I use mastic tape which is basically a piece of rubber with a sticky side.

also carbon fiber ain't so delicate
Likes For Canker:
Old 06-10-20, 04:32 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
This has worked well for me on both an aluminum frame, as well as carbon. I have not tried to remove it yet, though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-10-20, 04:33 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
This has worked well for me on steel, aluminum, and carbon frames. I have not tried to remove it yet, though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-11-20, 03:53 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I've never maintained or "cared for" my carbon frames. They aren't fragile.
Totally agree. I've put over 3,000 hard miles on my Niner RDO and it's holding up just fine. It's a gravel bike, meant to be ridden and enjoyed. I was not worried about helicopter tape. I give it a bath every once in a while and it cleans up like new. The frame shows no sign of wear, and trust me I've put it through some tough muddy and rocky trails...

After a very muddy ride!

An hour later, post-bath...
Likes For csrpenfab: