Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Very sad event

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Very sad event

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 02:51 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Anyway, you're just cherry picking, and really missed the point about car seats and seat belts. Regulation matters and can save lives, it just can't save all lives.
Yes, regulation can and does save lives, and nothing I said is contrary to that, but regualtion doesn't save all the additional lives that CAN be saved with further innovations that make texting easier and less distracting. I'm not happy with simply letting regulation decide how many dead cyclists and drivers are acceptable. More can and should be done on the innovation side of things.
Old 09-17-20, 04:07 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
This is tragic and it reminds me how much we are in danger out there riding on city streets. I live in northern CA in a small community that has been pretty good at providing bike lanes. Still cannot assume that ther will not be any problems, The best thing I can do is to try and stay highy visible with bright yellow jersey, etc. And I have a very bright rear flasher on all time even during the day. Another thing I do is when stopped at a 4 way stop intersection with stop signs is to wait for the cars to go past before I cross. One time I was stopped and made eye contact with a driver stopped and she waved for me to go on thru, I started across the intersection and then she did too ! I think she was on her cell phone but I'm not sure. So anyway, even if I make eye contact I now politely wait for the to go thru first. We need to ride very defensively and assume the drivers will do the worst and plan on it. !
Likes For frogman:
Old 09-17-20, 06:57 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Until there exist the will to fix the part that semi-conciously operates 98+% of road traffic, there will continue to be very sad events....
Old 09-17-20, 09:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Yes, regulation can and does save lives, and nothing I said is contrary to that, but regualtion doesn't save all the additional lives that CAN be saved with further innovations that make texting easier and less distracting. I'm not happy with simply letting regulation decide how many dead cyclists and drivers are acceptable. More can and should be done on the innovation side of things.

Nice backpedaling, you certainly implied regulation doesn't work when you compared this to the war on drugs.

Texting and driving is already illegal. You're arguing for its legalization with the use of some hypothetical but as yet unspecified technology that will make an inherently dangerous activity marginally less dangerous. Hard pass on this strategy, thanks for playing.

The solution you offered was absurd because you obviously don't understand the basic problem with the activity. Technology could also be developed making it easier to catch people texting before they hit someone. As long as controlling a vehicle requires human attention, having that controller reading and writing while controlling is never going to be remotely safe. Why you're choosing to spout off on half-baked notions like this in a thread noting a tragedy is completely beyond me.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-17-20 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 05:57 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
After a bicyclist is killed, a race begins to save his beloved dog, Ava

No pull quotes do Kristopher justice. Please read this.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 09-18-20, 06:23 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
After a bicyclist is killed, a race begins to save his beloved dog, Ava

No pull quotes do Kristopher justice. Please read this.

-mr. bill
Thanks. I just got the paper this morning and it is the front page story. And this is South Carolina. He will not be charged.
Old 09-18-20, 06:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
I recommend that the moderators create a new sticky thread for posting Sad Event/RIP type posts that are nothing more than URLs that refer to a news article (or quotes from same article) about a cyclist fatality with cursory or no details about the actual event other than that it is under investigation.

It would serve as an outlet for those who want to speculate about the actual cause and fault of specific fatal crashes, cast blame on people and objects without evidence, and castigate their favorite OT boogymen.

It would allow the same old, same old characters post their unfounded "stuff" and emotional tirades in a specific hangout where it won't be confused with having any relationship to rational discussion of Bicycling Advocacy or Safety.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-18-20, 06:41 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I recommend that the moderators create a new sticky thread for posting Sad Event/RIP type posts that are nothing more than URLs that refer to a news article (or quotes from same article) about a cyclist fatality with cursory or no details about the actual event other than that it is under investigation.

It would serve as an outlet for those who want to speculate about the actual cause and fault of specific fatal crashes, cast blame on people and objects without evidence, and castigate their favorite OT boogymen.

It would allow the same old, same old characters post their unfounded "stuff" and emotional tirades in a specific hangout where it won't be confused with having any relationship to rational discussion of Bicycling Advocacy or Safety.
Or, you could read the article from this morning.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 09-18-20, 06:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

-mr. bill

Let's do this man and his dog one better and celebrate what he was trying to do:

https://www.thecoastlandtimes.com/20...ke-a-breather/
Old 09-18-20, 07:05 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts

-mr. bill
Funny, the original OP and the two weeks of "discussion" afterwards made no mention of today's article. Nothing prevents anyone from posting relevant A&S information to Sad Event/RIP threads other than lack of any such information being available.

Note: My adblocker blocks this pay-walled article, perhaps you can paraphrase any verbiage that is relevant to bicycling advocacy or safety, other than that tragedy and emotional turmoil often follow sad events regardless of fault or cause.
Old 09-18-20, 07:21 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Funny, the original OP and the two weeks of "discussion" afterwards made no mention of today's article. Nothing prevents anyone from posting relevant A&S information to Sad Event/RIP threads other than lack of any such information being available.

Note: My adblocker blocks this pay-walled article, perhaps you can paraphrase any verbiage that is relevant to bicycling advocacy or safety, other than that tragedy and emotional turmoil often follow sad events regardless of fault or cause.
Turn off your adblocker. It isn’t paywalled.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 09-18-20, 07:25 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Turn off your adblocker. It isn’t paywalled.

-mr. bill
Hey Mr. Bill, are you from the Charleston area? It was in the local paper and was on my doorstep this morning - not sure if you get the P&C in Mass! I knew it was coming and had initially voiced my displeasure on the focus of the article and the did modify it a bit. Still not that happy with it personally.

Last edited by vespasianus; 09-18-20 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-18-20, 08:02 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by vespasianus
Hey Mr. Bill, are you from the Charleston area? It was in the local paper and was on my doorstep this morning - not sure if you get the P&C in Mass! I knew it was coming and had initially voiced my displeasure on the focus of the article and the did modify it a bit. Still not that happy with it personally.
No, very good friends in Kill Devil Hills. It's a small world. Kristopher and Ava in a very short time connected with many people there.

On the tone of these articles, I know what you mean. Turning a tragedy into a series of feel good articles about Ava is par for the course. Same thing happened to James Dobson. In Mississippi the coverage was all about cheering on his very sucessful post-mortem fundraising, plus the same kind of stories about a mom from the North visiting the scene. But even up here there was never a followup in the press, and his Mom had to turn to social media to get the word out about the injustice.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-18-20 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 09-18-20, 08:15 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Yes a disaster.

My sister goes down the road dressed similarly as the pic in the paper article. Does NOT show well enough in the distance. One MUST stand out
like a ALIEN off in the distance... increases IMO the chances of the moronic SEEING the cyclist. Rather than rail about all the 'after' issues take the precaution to DRESS to be SEEN<<<----------------------.
Likes For Aladin:
Old 09-18-20, 08:16 AM
vespasianus

No, very good friends in Kill Devil Hills. It's a smal world. Kristopher and Ava in a very short time connected with many people there.

On the tone of these articles, I know what you mean. Turning a tragedy into a series of feel good articles about Ava is par for the course. Same thing happened to James Dobson. In Mississippi the coverage was all about cheering on his very sucessful post-mortem fundraising, plus the same kind of stories about a mom from the North visiting the scene. But even up here there was never a followup in the press, and his Mom had to turn to social media to get the word out about the injustice.

-mr. bill
Yeah, my wife and daughter ran into them a day before the accident and many people in town noticed them. I am in Charleston and this is a very small area and you are never more than a few handshakes away from something. But this truly is a sad event - for all involved. I had heard it was an older person but did not know the true age till the paper this morning.
Old 09-18-20, 08:24 AM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by Aladin
Yes a disaster.

My sister goes down the road dressed similarly as the pic in the paper article. Does NOT show well enough in the distance. One MUST stand out
like a ALIEN off in the distance... increases IMO the chances of the moronic SEEING the cyclist. Rather than rail about all the 'after' issues take the precaution to DRESS to be SEEN<<<----------------------.
I know that area well as there are many that do rides in that area. That road, as I said in my original post, is pretty empty at that time of day. And two lanes. And straight. I still can't understand how he did not see him.
Old 09-18-20, 08:50 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

I know that area well as there are many that do rides in that area. That road, as I said in my original post, is pretty empty at that time of day. And two lanes. And straight. I still can't understand how he did not see him.

The PAST is just that............ GONE and in this case DEAD.

BE SEEN.. increase your chances to LIVE. Crazy world to be sure........ BE SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN.

SAME thing happened at winter residence.. two got done in... took me some time to find out.. DARK clothing. Do not miss-understand for an instant.. these dum chubby wenches running cyclist's down should do hard time.. w the hard core wenches.

YET.. INCREASE your chances of NO accident... BE SEEN................

Usually.. I play the part of progananistic character which laughs at the silly-ness of keyboard queen's. NOT this one... this is one that gets me seriously in MODE. BE seeeeeeeeeeeeeen.
Old 09-18-20, 10:50 AM
vespasianus

The PAST is just that............ GONE and in this case DEAD.

BE SEEN.. increase your chances to LIVE. Crazy world to be sure........ BE SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN.

SAME thing happened at winter residence.. two got done in... took me some time to find out.. DARK clothing. Do not miss-understand for an instant.. these dum chubby wenches running cyclist's down should do hard time.. w the hard core wenches.

YET.. INCREASE your chances of NO accident... BE SEEN................

Usually.. I play the part of progananistic character which laughs at the silly-ness of keyboard queen's. NOT this one... this is one that gets me seriously in MODE. BE seeeeeeeeeeeeeen.
I agree, being seen is the key for all road cyclist. But maybe I am missing something as I am looking at the print version, he is wearing a bright yellow jersey and his trailer has big flags. On that day, I believe he was wearing a bright orange shirt and his trailer had flashing lights and flags. Not sure what more he could have done.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 09-18-20, 02:48 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
But maybe I am missing something as I am looking at the print version, he is wearing a bright yellow jersey and his trailer has big flags. On that day, I believe he was wearing a bright orange shirt and his trailer had flashing lights and flags. Not sure what more he could have done.
IKR! It never fails. Something tragic happens and they pounce. All the pent up advice to do this that and the other correct thing comes pouring out. Out of context. Cell phones, visibility ... mirrors, helmets ... duh. But at the end of the day, the cyclist is usually (in America) doing all of that, and more besides. I've left out multiple (and I mean multiple) things that flash, co-opted highway signage, pool noodles, 140db Airzound or Hornit abominations ... none of it makes any difference.

If my driving future depends on it I am going to swear that I did NOT SEE the poor sod that I just rolled over because I assumed that he would get out of my way. If my career in politics depends on it I am going to swear that I did not inhale! Most humans have an instinct for self preservation. Or they have defense attorneys. Why oh why would anyone believe a driver that insists that they did not see that rig? More of us need to find some objectivity. It certainly wouldn't stimulate me to post repeated warnings to BE SEEEEEN ... I have seen drivers swerve to avoid black cats on unlit streets at 2:00am in a driving rain! Only when 'nice', but criminally careless, people are given the kinds of jail sentences routinely handed out to poor kids from underserved communities for trivial offenses like shoplifting cosmetics, or truancy, will anything change. Not until then.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-19-20, 07:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Driving in a manner that breaks the law and kills some one as in this case should call for VERY long jail sentences.
Old 09-19-20, 08:48 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Driving in a manner that breaks the law and kills some one as in this case should call for VERY long jail sentences.
The guy is 80 years old. Even if he was charged any jail sentence probably wouldn’t be VERY long. Likely he won’t be charged at all and probably won’t even lose his license.
If you’re over 70 you should have to take a test and renew your drivers license every year to pilot your deadly polluting mechanical monstrosity along public roads.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 09-19-20, 03:59 PM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
The guy is 80 years old. Even if he was charged any jail sentence probably wouldn’t be VERY long. Likely he won’t be charged at all and probably won’t even lose his license.
If you’re over 70 you should have to take a test and renew your drivers license every year to pilot your deadly polluting mechanical monstrosity along public roads.
I feel the same for those under 25. Motorcycles drivers include. I just love some jackass blasting off doing a wheelie at a light. Hoping he doesn't lose it and end up under my car with he head crushed.
Old 09-20-20, 11:24 AM
Aladin

I agree, being seen is the key for all road cyclist. But maybe I am missing something as I am looking at the print version, he is wearing a bright yellow jersey and his trailer has big flags. On that day, I believe he was wearing a bright orange shirt and his trailer had flashing lights and flags. Not sure what more he could have done.
If that is indeed the case.. sounds like he did all he could. I seem to remember.. albeit likely wrong.. a link showing him in a darker shirt w dog
on trailer.. did not note lights. I see lights that make no difference too often anyway. LED.. those stand out.

The other takeaway: when your riding (anywhere) w traffic at your back... your always at risk. Blown car tire.. dog jumping around inside of vehicle.. list gets long.

There is a good deal of cavalier attitude in law enforcement per bike rider complaints. I encountered this in a serious scenario... got a 'donut eater' for initial response. Went to chief.. had a good sit down. Yet.. neither he or the 'donut clumper' knew the distance the law allows for bike to vehicle clearance in my state. I do understand their side to some degree.. the frivolous whiners on bikes.. the double and even triple riding on crowded roads.
Had a good visit w a sheriff's deputy.. trading our stories of 'bikies' who think they own the road. Where do I go...? OBEY all the road LAWS.
Old 09-20-20, 11:37 AM
58Fleetside@ 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So sorry for him and his family.
Old 09-20-20, 02:45 PM
vespasianus

If that is indeed the case.. sounds like he did all he could. I seem to remember.. albeit likely wrong.. a link showing him in a darker shirt w dog
on trailer.. did not note lights. I see lights that make no difference too often anyway. LED.. those stand out.

The other takeaway: when your riding (anywhere) w traffic at your back... your always at risk. Blown car tire.. dog jumping around inside of vehicle.. list gets long.

There is a good deal of cavalier attitude in law enforcement per bike rider complaints. I encountered this in a serious scenario... got a 'donut eater' for initial response. Went to chief.. had a good sit down. Yet.. neither he or the 'donut clumper' knew the distance the law allows for bike to vehicle clearance in my state. I do understand their side to some degree.. the frivolous whiners on bikes.. the double and even triple riding on crowded roads.
Had a good visit w a sheriff's deputy.. trading our stories of 'bikies' who think they own the road. Where do I go...? OBEY all the road LAWS.
That might be from the go fund me page. That picture has him in a dark shirt. Talked with some people this morning regarding this event and honestly, all I will say is that lawyers suck. And lawyers who were politicians suck even more.

So yes, the person who hit and killed this cyclist was an 80 year old prominent lawyer and former legislator in the area. No, he is not going to be charged.

Last edited by vespasianus; 09-21-20 at 05:11 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.