Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

fender size question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

fender size question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 04:54 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
fender size question

Hi gang, Today I went to my favorite LBS and looked at some fenders for my Trek FX-1 as the rainy season is just around the corner here and I ride to and from work every day. The sales guy said the Bontrager NCS fenders were the ones that the guys in the shop recommended as they fit better and are easier to install. So he went and grabbed a pair and I left with them and went home. Upon looking more closely at the packaging I see the one's I brought home are for size 38 to 45 tires, the FX-1 has 35's. The fenders are available in a smaller size range of 28 to 35. So my question is this, will the larger 38-45 size provide better protection from wet riding than the smaller size? They might not look as sleek but if they do a better job...

Thanks for any thoughts or input, cheers!
Old 09-19-20, 05:14 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
My opinion, my experience, tires that max out the width the fenders are designed for are going to mean a minimum of protection. There will be less spray from fenders that are a bit wider. Also, if they fit your bike, you may, at some point, want to try wider tires. You will still have fenders that are wide enough for the wider tires. I believe the LBS supplied you with the fenders to best suit your bike.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-19-20, 06:05 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Agreed better to be wider if you value protection. Now if your trying to keep your average speed up the narrower. But if they were the case you’d ride without fenders.