Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Repair

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colnago Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 08:54 PM
poggor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
Colnago Repair

Hi all- I have just purchased a slightly beat up Mexico frame ( the blue one- I don't have it yet- it's still on it's way).
I intend to restore it although I haven't quite decided on the level. Most likely I will repaint it in the original color scheme.
However, the non-drive side cable guide is broken as in the picture. I have some reasonable TIG skills so was going to repair this but I wondered if anyone had any ideas about where to get a replacement part to weld on, or where to scavange something similar to weld onto the front (options; replace the whole thing or replace just the front bit which is missing).

Any thoughts on the frame or project appreciated.

poggor

Old 09-30-20, 09:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
poggor

This is not a tig job, brazing is what needs to be done.

If you talk to a frame builder he may be able to counsel you on how to proceed by your self.

Please take care whatever you do, it is after all a Colnago, albeit a sad one, it deserves a proper repair and refinish.

They or a framebuilder supply will have the bits you need.

Last edited by merziac; 09-30-20 at 09:08 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-30-20, 09:10 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
I would "finish the job" and remove it.

I would use the bolt-on Campy thing or go with a guide under the BB.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 09-30-20, 09:20 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Given that paint, it looks like someone has been down there before. Have a competent framebuilder look over the entire BB shell (stripped of paint, if necessary) to make sure nobody did any additional homespun fixes that might compromise the area.

Someone should still have some of those over-the-BB Campagnolo braze-on cable guide fittings still kicking about to repair it with. Mind, this is provided they're original in the first place. I'd assume they are, but given the BB paint and the fact that I'm not that well up on Colnagos, I wouldn't commit to saying so definitively.

-Kurt

Old 09-30-20, 09:24 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes

+1. I'd go under the bottom bracket
Old 09-30-20, 09:54 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,896 Times in 930 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
+1. I'd go under the bottom bracket
I wouldn't. It would need a cable guide and with the drain hole there you've got nothing to screw it in to. The RD cable has to remain over BB as the chain stay guide (diver's helmet) is on top, so you'll have one on top and one under - that would bug me, but I guess that's up to the owner.

For me your two options are a clamp on over BB cable guide like this*, or get the missing section brazed on.

* Not sure if you would have to remove the existing cable guides in order to use this, which may add weight to the brazed option.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 10-01-20, 10:15 PM
poggor

Thanks for advice everyone- I will try to get it fixed.
I agree with P!N20 - prefer to remain over the BB as original (I want the bike to be period correct but also, there's a big Ace of Clubs under the BB!)
I think i will explore repair and failing that go to a clamp on guide.

much appreciated.

pogggggor
Likes For poggor:
Old 10-02-20, 09:19 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Someone should still have some of those over-the-BB Campagnolo braze-on cable guide fittings still kicking about to repair it with.
Sure do:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BB-guides.jpg (129.4 KB, 109 views)
Old 10-02-20, 12:52 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

FYI, to everyone who's so quick to suggest under-the-BB cable routing, may I point out that the derailer cable stop is positioned for above-the-BB routing on a chromed chainstay?

Let that be a lesson never to recommend overcomplicated (and expensive) solutions to simple repairs (especially to a relatively new C&V member) - unless you provide a clear explanation as to all the other things the owner will have to sort out as a result. In the case of converting to under-the-BB routing, that means chrome removal, repositioning the derailer cable stop, brazing guides to the bottom of the BB, rechroming (if desired) and the obligatory repaint.

In comparison to the laundry list of repairs listed above, retaining the over-the-BB routing is as simple as fluxing and removing the cable stop (or cutting it off and grinding the remains to avoid heating the BB more than necessary), silver soldering in a replacement, and repainting. Might even be able to get away with a partial repaint and paint match on the BB and downtube if the OP is an originality buff. That's it. Simple, comparatively affordable, and faithful to originality.

I'm baffled at the apparent fetish in this thread to whack the - presumably - original bits off this frame and go through ridiculous hoops and hurdles to make a non-original repair.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Sure do:
Looks like the OP won't have any problems then. So utterly simple.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-02-20 at 12:57 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 10-02-20, 04:40 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
FYI, to everyone who's so quick to suggest under-the-BB cable routing, may I point out that the derailer cable stop is positioned for above-the-BB routing on a chromed chainstay?

Let that be a lesson never to recommend overcomplicated (and expensive) solutions to simple repairs (especially to a relatively new C&V member) - unless you provide a clear explanation as to all the other things the owner will have to sort out as a result. In the case of converting to under-the-BB routing, that means chrome removal, repositioning the derailer cable stop, brazing guides to the bottom of the BB, rechroming (if desired) and the obligatory repaint.

In comparison to the laundry list of repairs listed above, retaining the over-the-BB routing is as simple as fluxing and removing the cable stop (or cutting it off and grinding the remains to avoid heating the BB more than necessary), silver soldering in a replacement, and repainting. Might even be able to get away with a partial repaint and paint match on the BB and downtube if the OP is an originality buff. That's it. Simple, comparatively affordable, and faithful to originality.

I'm baffled at the apparent fetish in this thread to whack the - presumably - original bits off this frame and go through ridiculous hoops and hurdles to make a non-original repair.

Looks like the OP won't have any problems then. So utterly simple.

-Kurt

I Agree 100% . Its a very simple repair to ReAttach the cable guide. Any decent framebuilder or competent welder can braze that back on in a few minutes.

BTW, I apologize to Kurt for any previous disagreement we had.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 10-02-20, 05:37 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
ALWAYS keep as close to original as possible.

And like cudak888 , and Manny said......simple fix for someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck and congrats on the Colnago !!!!

They are GREAT bikes !!!!!
Old 10-02-20, 06:39 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by bikemike73
ALWAYS keep as close to original as possible.

And like cudak888 , and Manny said......simple fix for someone who knows what they are doing.
Oh, I'm not against modifications - even to a Colnago like this - if that's what the owner wants and if they're willing to spend the effort, time, and money to have it done right. But nowhere did the owner suggest a desire to modify, hence my comments earlier.

But indeed, as "go to the framebuilder" fixes go, this one is as simple as they get.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Manny66
I Agree 100% . Its a very simple repair to ReAttach the cable guide. Any decent framebuilder or competent welder can braze that back on in a few minutes.

BTW, I apologize to Kurt for any previous disagreement we had.
No worries, when I went into that discussion, I thought you were someone else .

-Kurt

Old 10-03-20, 10:45 PM
poggor

Thanks everyone-
as cudak said- swapping the cable stop to the underside of the chromed chainstay would be a lot of trouble. and anyway I want to restore this bike to period. and putting a plastic cable guide over the asso di fiori cutout on the bb would be sacrilege!

I have sourced one of the cable guides in John thompsons picture.

to merziac- when i said tig- I will be tig brazing with silicone bronze filler. I know this technique is not traditional but it works really well and I'm comfortable with it. result is essentially the same.

I'll keep you all posted!
And THANKS! so much for all your great advice- nice community.

poggor
Old 10-03-20, 11:40 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes

there is a gaping clover where the bolt for the under the bottom bracket guide would fasten. And the chainstay stop for the rear mech is on the top, not bottom.

no tig. It is easy enough to braze on a replacement part. If one searches a bit can even find one stamped Brev. CAMP

most any framebuilder should have the part at hand or be able to obtain a form equal.

strip all the paint first and evaluate the top tube cable guides - those were known to rust away.
check the main tubes accessible from the bottom bracket for rust too- test, don’t guess.
Old 10-04-20, 12:01 AM
poggor

I have a question for any Colnago experts - regarding the paint colour; does anyone know a match for this colour or a paint code? I have a paint guy who has matched paint colours on motorcycle restorations before and I'll ask him but wondered if any of the die hard fans had any insight?

thanks

poggor
Old 10-04-20, 12:35 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by poggor
Thanks everyone-
as cudak said- swapping the cable stop to the underside of the chromed chainstay would be a lot of trouble. and anyway I want to restore this bike to period. and putting a plastic cable guide over the asso di fiori cutout on the bb would be sacrilege!

I have sourced one of the cable guides in John thompsons picture.

to merziac- when i said tig- I will be tig brazing with silicone bronze filler. I know this technique is not traditional but it works really well and I'm comfortable with it. result is essentially the same.

I'll keep you all posted!
And THANKS! so much for all your great advice- nice community.

poggor
You're welcome, glad you asked.

Ok, I'll take your word for it, for now.

And I'm no expert, don't weld or braze, did learn long ago with poor results but have a good cursory understanding.

Never seen or heard of what you're proposing being used for this, maybe I haven't been paying attention.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-04-20, 07:29 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
No,no,no! You do not need to fix that! If it is 60cm or larger , box it up and send it to me. I can have it fixed and ride it and the problems will all go away! I will take really good care of it.