Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Possible PNX-10 purchase.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 08:00 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts

With any luck I'm going to look at what I believe to be an '81 Peugeot PNX-10 Super Competition on Saturday if it's still there. It's an hour and a half one way and I have something going on every night this week or I'd go after work. I know little to nothing about Peugeot except they're French. Is there anything I need to watch for? From the pics it hasn't had much TLC for awhile but it is complete and looks to be all original with the exception of bar tape. The pictures aren't the best but when I asked for better pics of the drivetrain the seller just sent me the same pics and said "come see it". I think he's a bit high on his asking price but he did state in the ad that it needed work so maybe he will negotiate realistically. Anyway, here it is and the page from the '81 catalog. The chainstays look pretty beat up, I'm hoping that's grease or road tar not scraped off paint.

Old 10-13-20, 08:39 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Murray Missile-

They are very nice bikes. Very quick, agile handling with quite good workmanship and that lovely, pearlescent white paint. The Ideale 2002 plastic saddle is an instrument of torture and should be immediately be sold to some naive bike restorer. Could be all English threaded but it's right in the transition period so check everything for French threads just to be safe.
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 10-13-20, 11:03 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 6,479 Times in 3,205 Posts
Looks pretty good. I usually know what's "in the money" before I look at a bike, so if anything pops up later (botched pedal, etc.), I'll be covered if I need to replace something or part it out to cover cost. I used to check for stuck seatposts and stems, but I don't even do that anymore unless I see a ton of rust and slammed quills. One thing I always do now is run my hand over the frame looking for dents and dings. They can be anywhere. The worst damage can be bulges right behind the head tube on both top and down tubes, so that's where I start. I still don't test ride any of them...
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-13-20, 11:23 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
no advice but i reckon that is a gorgeous bike
Likes For Soody:
Old 10-13-20, 11:43 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26409 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
...these 80's PX Super Comp's are nice bikes. As already stated, tighter and quicker than than the 70's decade, and the components are better. Not as much to replace if you want to ride it hard. They do dance around a little bit in situations like bumps or light rail tracks. On mine, it's not unusual to feel it sort of jump sideways a little sometimes in the back. But that's the nice springy road feel you want to absorb shock, so if you're not some "stiff bike so I don't lose any energy" compulsive, you'll probably enjoy it.

If you need to match the paint, It's most easily done in a two step process. first the closest white you can find (usually a shell white or a French white), then a pearlescent transparent over that. Testors sells one called "White Lightning."
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 10-14-20, 12:13 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Murray Missile

I would not drive an hour and a half, 100mi? without pics that you asked for, the seller knows you will be more invested once you drive all that way.

They obviously want you at a disadvantage, once you get there and see something a pic could have shown, they can say "you should have asked about that", I would sweat them out a bit more and tell them you're not coming without more pics. Just denying them is a huge red flag for me, with a high ask as well, this seller thinks they have the upper hand so this is not a amiable situation on top of the travel disparity.

All that being said, I am a fan of these but this seller is not on the up and up.
Old 10-14-20, 04:42 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
If you need to match the paint, It's most easily done in a two step process. first the closest white you can find (usually a shell white or a French white), then a pearlescent transparent over that. Testors sells one called "White Lightning."
That is great to know!
Old 10-14-20, 05:24 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by merziac
Murray Missile

I would not drive an hour and a half, 100mi? without pics that you asked for, the seller knows you will be more invested once you drive all that way.

They obviously want you at a disadvantage, once you get there and see something a pic could have shown, they can say "you should have asked about that", I would sweat them out a bit more and tell them you're not coming without more pics. Just denying them is a huge red flag for me, with a high ask as well, this seller thinks they have the upper hand so this is not a amiable situation on top of the travel disparity.

All that being said, I am a fan of these but this seller is not on the up and up.
You could be right but I'm not getting that vibe. From his FB page I think he's bucks up and just doesn't want to bother. High dollar house, cars, motorcycle. He's not a "bike guy", probably bought it in college or shortly after for exercise, rode it awhile then parked it.

About 20 bikes ago he might have had an advantage on distance but not now. I've driven farther than that and came home empty handed over a $50 difference. I've also used the drive distance to my advantage, especially on something that's been listed more than a week or so. Money talks, a buyer with cash in hand standing in your driveway carries more weight than some tire kicker on the internet. I'm sure if it's still there and I do get a shot it's going to be am interesting negotiation. Like I said, long drive or not I WILL leave without it if he's too hard nosed. I'm Scots-Irish, that's how we roll...... "deep pockets and short arms"
Old 10-14-20, 06:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I have a 1979 that I built up after repainting the frame. I was actually doing that one so I could experiment with materials and methods to be better prepared to paint the 1971 Jeunet that I'm doing right now. It turned out that the Peugeot is a fine riding bike, especially with sew-ups. Really, really great and beyond all of my expectations. It's one of my favorites to ride.

On the one shown, what's the seller's price? Also, it is a tall frame, so the number of buyers is more limited, good for you.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-14-20, 08:11 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim
Murray Missile-

They are very nice bikes. Very quick, agile handling with quite good workmanship and that lovely, pearlescent white paint. The Ideale 2002 plastic saddle is an instrument of torture and should be immediately be sold to some naive bike restorer. Could be all English threaded but it's right in the transition period so check everything for French threads just to be safe.
I sold the Ideale 2002 to just that restorer, I did tell him that the 2002 is aka asshatchet.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 10-14-20, 08:12 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
On the one shown, what's the seller's price? Also, it is a tall frame, so the number of buyers is more limited, good for you.
I rather not say at the moment. He's not insanely high, just a bit more than myself and a "trusted consultant" feel is appropriate given it's current state. It may still be there because he won't deal but more likely because of the condition in the pictures. I think my chances of bringing it home at a fair price are better than good though.
Old 10-14-20, 08:20 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I sold the Ideale 2002 to just that restorer, I did tell him that the 2002 is aka asshatchet.
If successful in my acquisition efforts my saddle will go on the shelf. Not sure what will replace it.
Old 10-14-20, 09:37 AM
Murray Missile 

Did some more digging and it looks like the guy is a flipper but mostly cars, motorcycles, furniture and BSO's. That explains a lot and now I can pick it apart with a clear conscience.
Old 10-14-20, 10:29 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I had and rode an '82 for a while. Nice bike, and my rear even liked the Ideale 2001 saddle.

The only issue I really didn't catch up front was that one of the plastic surrounds on a brake lever cable adjuster was cracked.

Pic of mine. It had its share of little paint imperfections and touches of rust, but overall a nice ride, if a little smaller than my usual.

Last edited by Ex Pres; 10-14-20 at 12:25 PM.
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 10-14-20, 10:38 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The 80s PXN 10 series are fine bikes and in some ways "better" than the 70s PX 10s. The parts as 3alarmer said are top notch (atom 700 hubs, spidel brakes, stronglight 106 crank, good bar and stem (atax philippe), and good derailleurs. In fact that rear derailleur can handle 30 teeth no problem. Also at least on my '82, the hubs are english threaded. I'm reasonably confident that the BB and HS are french threaded. Also this generation simplex drop out is better than the earlier ones because you can run a campy style RD if you want (it is threaded and there is a stop).

This is my '82 with a 6 speed 13-30 new winner freewheel:

Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-14-20, 10:53 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim
Murray Missile-

Been there ... done that / almost.

For what it's worth, here are my observations regarding my 1980 PKN-10:
1) BB threading is Swiss;
2) ride quality is superb;
3) craftsmanship is sub-par, compared with my same-vintage Bianchi, with braze splatter, a rear dropout brazing void, and paint that has not withstood the test of time;
4) versatile frame geometry easily accommodates 32mm tires
5) these frames run a bit long in the top tube, which was the main reason I gave mine to my son (it is 2cm too tall for me, but the "extra" 2cm of top tube length was a greater concern);

Erik and Henry waiting for their dad to give them a ride. My son is grateful for my triple chainring conversion, which provides a 35 gear-inch low.

6) bottom line: a PXN-10 of that vintage would be a delight, assuming it is in good shape and your size
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 10-14-20, 11:23 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by John E
Been there ... done that / almost.

For what it's worth, here are my observations regarding my 1980 PKN-10:
1) BB threading is Swiss;
2) ride quality is superb;
3) craftsmanship is sub-par, compared with my same-vintage Bianchi, with braze splatter, a rear dropout brazing void, and paint that has not withstood the test of time;
4) versatile frame geometry easily accommodates 32mm tires
5) these frames run a bit long in the top tube, which was the main reason I gave mine to my son (it is 2cm too tall for me, but the "extra" 2cm of top tube length was a greater concern);

Erik and Henry waiting for their dad to give them a ride. My son is grateful for my triple chainring conversion, which provides a 35 gear-inch low.

6) bottom line: a PXN-10 of that vintage would be a delight, assuming it is in good shape and your size
Appears to be a 24 inch, my "sweet spot". Good info on the TT length and brazing issues.
Old 10-14-20, 06:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Did some more digging and it looks like the guy is a flipper but mostly cars, motorcycles, furniture and BSO's. That explains a lot and now I can pick it apart with a clear conscience.
Hammertime!

Likes For merziac:
Old 10-14-20, 06:13 PM
merziac

You could be right but I'm not getting that vibe. From his FB page I think he's bucks up and just doesn't want to bother. High dollar house, cars, motorcycle. He's not a "bike guy", probably bought it in college or shortly after for exercise, rode it awhile then parked it.

About 20 bikes ago he might have had an advantage on distance but not now. I've driven farther than that and came home empty handed over a $50 difference. I've also used the drive distance to my advantage, especially on something that's been listed more than a week or so. Money talks, a buyer with cash in hand standing in your driveway carries more weight than some tire kicker on the internet. I'm sure if it's still there and I do get a shot it's going to be am interesting negotiation. Like I said, long drive or not I WILL leave without it if he's too hard nosed. I'm Scots-Irish, that's how we roll...... "deep pockets and short arms"
No worries, I get it, all in good fun.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-14-20, 07:50 PM
merziac

No surprise there, still a dick tude about more pics, info, clearly thinks his time is worth more than ours IMO.

Hopefully you can wind him up and drop him like a stone or grind him into a good deal, my expectations would be too grand to go there without more cooperation from him.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-15-20, 05:29 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by merziac
No surprise there, still a dick tude about more pics, info, clearly thinks his time is worth more than ours IMO.

Hopefully you can wind him up and drop him like a stone or grind him into a good deal, my expectations would be too grand to go there without more cooperation from him.
Dealt with a guy like him a few years ago on a Raleigh Prestige that was supposed to be mint for $350. In the picture it looked like it could be with new bar tape. While a decent bike in person it was not "mint" nor would it ever be but it would be pretty nice. He knew zilch about bikes and kept telling me how he should be asking a lot more. It was at leas 3 inches too tall for him so I knew he had probaly just picked it up cheap and thought he had a winning lottery ticket. I pointed out all it's issues and hit him with $200 absolute top dollar. His wife countered with 250. I said no, thanked them for their time and headed for the car. I got about 3 steps and they hollered "OK 200". 😎 Turns out his old boss gave it to him when he moved out of state.......so he still made out quite nicely and I was happy.

I'm not sure I'll even get that far on this deal now. Sent "Peugeot Man" a message yesterday that I might be able to make it Friday after work if he was available. His reply was "That might work." Nothing else. I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the aggravation.
Old 10-15-20, 06:46 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Did anyone notice the mid-80s Fiero bonnet badge in the first photo? See what he wants for that...
Old 10-15-20, 06:51 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by phil_gretz
did anyone notice the mid-80s fiero bonnet badge in the first photo? See what he wants for that...
$4,000.00 iirc.
Old 10-15-20, 07:00 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Let us know if you pick it up (the Peugeot, not the Fiero).
Likes For himespau:
Old 10-15-20, 07:16 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

I'd be interested to hear about either, or both, as a package deal for … $3750?
Likes For Phil_gretz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.