Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is the Shimano BB-RS500-PB simply a BB86?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 09:47 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts

I am doing a bunch of upgrades on my bike and I am thinking about replacing the BB-RS500-PB BB. I have looked it up and the BB type just gives the part number for the BB, not the type. This will be used with a Shimano Ultegra R8000 crank. From what I gather a standard BB86 will work? What recommendations do you guys have for that BB? CeramicSpeed?
Old 10-19-20, 10:31 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
"The BB-RS500 is a Tiagra level press fit bottom bracket for BB86 frames and will work with all Shimano Hollowtech II cranksets."

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Shiman...Bottom-Bracket

It depends on your frame. If your frame is BB86, this will work. If not, we can talk.

i'm not sure why you'd go for the tiagra version when the dura ace version is just a bit more, but then again there is no information out there on what you get for your money. So I wouldn't sweat it.

I might get bashed for this, but if you have ceramicspeed money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd recommend this: https://www.hambini.com/product/bb86...ottom-bracket/

Plastic/nylon BBs like the shimano are great if you have a bad frame. But over time, the plastic casing gets crushed and can cause creaking or excessive wear on the bearings. The Hambini BB is much, much stiffer. It acts as a structural reinforcement for your frame and you will (most likely) feel a difference. The bearings are top notch too. Each of his BBs has tons of 5 star reviews and I can personally vouch for their quality. Hambini isn't a very likable guy but his bottom brackets are impossible to beat if you can afford them.

If not that, then my second recommendation would be BBInfinite, which is the same concept but cheaper. My third recommendation would be Wheels manufacturing which brings the reliability and ease of installation of threaded BBs to your pressfit frame.

Last edited by smashndash; 10-19-20 at 10:38 PM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 10-19-20, 10:35 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
"The BB-RS500 is a Tiagra level press fit bottom bracket for BB86 frames and will work with all Shimano Hollowtech II cranksets."

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Shiman...Bottom-Bracket

It depends on your frame. If your frame is BB86, this will work. If not, we can talk.

i'm not sure why you'd go for the tiagra version when the dura ace version is just a bit more, but then again there is no information out there on what you get for your money. So I wouldn't sweat it.

I might get bashed for this, but if you have ceramicspeed money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd recommend this: https://www.hambini.com/product/bb86...ottom-bracket/

Plastic/nylon BBs like the shimano are great if you have a bad frame. But over time, the plastic casing gets crushed and can cause creaking or excessive wear on the bearings. The Hambini BB is much, much stiffer. It acts as a structural reinforcement for your frame and you will (most likely) feel a difference. The bearings are top notch too. Each of his BBs has tons of 5 star reviews and I can personally vouch for their quality. Hambini isn't a very likable guy but his bottom brackets are hard to beat if you can afford them.

If not that, then my second recommendation would be BBInfinite, which is the same concept but cheaper. My third recommendation would be Wheels manufacturing which brings the reliability and ease of installation of threaded BBs to your pressfit frame.

Maybe I didn’t word it correctly. That is the BB that is on my bike now, and I want to replace it. It’s safe to assume my frame is BB86 seeing as that is what’s installed on my bike now right?
Old 10-19-20, 10:40 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
Maybe I didn’t word it correctly. That is the BB that is on my bike now, and I want to replace it. It’s safe to assume my frame is BB86 seeing as that is what’s installed on my bike now right?
Yes. As far as I know, if you have a road bike that is pressfit and has a Shimano-made bottom bracket, you have BB86. The model name you indicated seems to be BB86. You can also use a ruler to measure the shell width (86.5mm) and shell bore (41mm) very easily.

If you list your frame it would be easier to verify, probably.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 10-21-20, 11:10 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
It's a bb86. get a bb86. that's why we have standards.