Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dented top tube on a triple-butted frame - bicycle seat. Repairable?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-20-20, 08:32 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts

So I came across one of my dream bikes, in my (rare) size (66cm / 26 in.), for cheap (€30 / $35), but... somebody mounted a child seat on the middle of the frame somewhere in the past and seriously dented the frame.

It's a 1993 Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller, the Dutch market version of the Miyata 1000 that was more common in the US. They came with oversized triple butted chromoly tubing on the frame, unicrown forks and all the cool stuff you would want on a vintage tourer.
Would this be repairable? I think you could go a long way with frame blocks but most likely this would need some attention from a frame builder.

I would love the technical challenge of this but is it safe? Or can you only tell when you've already put some time and effort in it?

Pics:

P.s. I know the size would be good for me but I seem to pick out mistreated big frames some times.

Last edited by JaccoW; 10-20-20 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-20-20, 10:51 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I'm struggling to see how such a bike could be my "dream bike" given it will either look like crap or cost literally a small fortune to fix.To me a "dream bike" or "dream anything" has to look and function almost perfect. Otherwise it's a nightmare. But of course one man's trash is another man's treasure and there are some who live for a challenge. And that would be a challenge.

For $35 US dollars get it if you have a place to store salvage bike parts for maybe forever. Perhaps someday a decent frame will come along needing all of the other goodies you salvage off this machine.
Old 10-20-20, 11:21 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,534 Posts
I would suggest posting in framebuilders forum https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuilders/

certainly top tubes can be replaced, but I doubt with a miyata triple butted tube but cost and pretty much total repaint needed

another possibility is use it for just a daily driver, but not loaded touring

PS I like miyatas currently have an 84 and 85 teams)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-20-20, 12:29 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I would suggest posting in framebuilders forum https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuilders/

certainly top tubes can be replaced, but I doubt with a miyata triple butted tube but cost and pretty much total repaint needed

another possibility is use it for just a daily driver, but not loaded touring
Thanks for the tip, I posted it there as well.

Koga-Miyata is slightly different from Miyata but there is a lot of overlap. Check out the Show us your Koga-Miyata!-thread for some background info I gathered there.

I have a Koga-Miyata SilverAce with similar tubing as a daily driver but this one could be more of a replacement for my Batavus Randonneur GL or as a gravel alternative.

Originally Posted by Thomas15
I'm struggling to see how such a bike could be my "dream bike" given it will either look like crap or cost literally a small fortune to fix.To me a "dream bike" or "dream anything" has to look and function almost perfect. Otherwise it's a nightmare. But of course one man's trash is another man's treasure and there are some who live for a challenge. And that would be a challenge.

For $35 US dollars get it if you have a place to store salvage bike parts for maybe forever. Perhaps someday a decent frame will come along needing all of the other goodies you salvage off this machine.
There is no accounting for taste but do you think a Miyata 1000 is a cool bike? The Koga-Miyata Randonneur (Extra) is the Dutch market equivalent and this WorldTraveller is the upright version of that one. I don't mind a respray (this paint job isn't my favourite) and for €30 I don't mind a challenge and a small chance of getting it up and running again for many more trips.
It's a hobby for me and this model, like the Koga-Miyata Randonneur, RandonneurExtra, Traveller, Terraliner and Globe Traveller are all at the top of their game for classic lightweight steel rides.
Old 10-20-20, 01:50 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

I get it about being a hobby I really do. I have hobbies and know that somethings cost more than they should, collections have a way of getting out of control.

I also know there is a trash to treasure mindset and sometimes more satisfaction is derived from taking a basket case and turning it into a pearl. But to speculate the cost of having a frame builder replace the tube and then repaint the frame then what are you looking at cost wise? Is the bike that rare that it would be satisfying to put all that money into it when a diligent search maybe in more rational times, might yield a specimen that is way nicer and costs less? I don't have a clue because that is not my personal hobby. But I do say this as an individual that could apply a quality factory like paint in my garage myself and still not convinced it's a good idea, just my opinion.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 10-20-20, 01:50 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Rotate that child‘s seat 90 degrees and squeeze the tube again .
Likes For Kovkov:
Old 10-20-20, 02:25 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Still having cast a negative opinion on the matter, if I was faced with this decision I would get it, it's only $35 and you never l know. I have fishing lures that I don't use, have never used and will never use but are a certain color pattern or size I wanted to complete a collection and I paid way more than $35 for them. Get it and stuff it under the bed.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 10-20-20, 03:13 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Here are some videos of how to roll a dent out of a tube. Cheapest and least destructive of paint repair (sometimes) that I know of. I would think Rotterdam would have some skilled frame shops that could do this but if you want to try it yourself you can buy the proper aluminum clamps. https://www.google.com/search?q=roll...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 10-20-20, 03:55 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Thomas15
I get it about being a hobby I really do. I have hobbies and know that somethings cost more than they should, collections have a way of getting out of control.

I also know there is a trash to treasure mindset and sometimes more satisfaction is derived from taking a basket case and turning it into a pearl. But to speculate the cost of having a frame builder replace the tube and then repaint the frame then what are you looking at cost wise? Is the bike that rare that it would be satisfying to put all that money into it when a diligent search maybe in more rational times, might yield a specimen that is way nicer and costs less? I don't have a clue because that is not my personal hobby. But I do say this as an individual that could apply a quality factory like paint in my garage myself and still not convinced it's a good idea, just my opinion.
I appreciate your input, don't get me wrong. And I hear what you are saying, this will never be worth the money I put into it.

I certainly have a tendency to take basket cases and turning them into pearls. (Example 1, Example 2, Example 3) And I have certainly had to toss a frame because I only realized a year later somebody puttied over angle grinder holes. It's a learning fee, and the KM RoadAce taught me a lot so I could find the SilverAce later.
But yes, these are still expensive around here. An earlier ladies model with the one-step-below Hardtlite FM-2 tubing is going for €350, the mens version being €450 or more.

I won't be pouring big money into it just yet but it will be worth the €30 to see the bottom bracket dynamo operated by a downtube lever on the seatpost.
Somebody is picking it up for me on thursday so I will probably have something fun to look at during the weekend.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 10-20-20, 09:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
A used dented bike that someone didn't care about is not my definition of a dream. A dream would be getting a custom bike in steel or titanium. I get it NL pride and I bet is a lot lighter than some of classic stereotypical "dutch" bikes but I don't know that I would want to spend the money to repair it. Koga is still making bikes including the World Traveller and you can do a semi-custom build with them which may get you closer to proper height?
Old 10-21-20, 01:51 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I would say that it is an excellent parts bike, and a great opportunity to try out tube reshaping. So if the latter does not work out, the former will.

One thing I have found is that once you take an action, other people around you are more likely to start offering related stuff, so this can only improve your chances of discovering a frame in great condition.
Old 10-21-20, 03:02 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by veganbikes
A used dented bike that someone didn't care about is not my definition of a dream. A dream would be getting a custom bike in steel or titanium. I get it NL pride and I bet is a lot lighter than some of classic stereotypical "dutch" bikes but I don't know that I would want to spend the money to repair it. Koga is still making bikes including the World Traveller and you can do a semi-custom build with them which may get you closer to proper height?
Perhaps I should have said the model is my dream project bike. I like working on bikes and I enjoy the challenge of a ratty bike for cheap over a pristine example that I would feel bad about modifying.
At worst its a bad looking, but great riding bike.

Originally Posted by Geepig
I would say that it is an excellent parts bike, and a great opportunity to try out tube reshaping. So if the latter does not work out, the former will.
One thing I have found is that once you take an action, other people around you are more likely to start offering related stuff, so this can only improve your chances of discovering a frame in great condition.
My thoughts exactly. At worst I can part it out and get my money back that way.
And even if the dents are beyond repair it's a good opportunity to try the fit of one of these.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 10-21-20, 03:43 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I have an 85 1000 and love it. Top of the line production touring machine of that era. As for the dent in the TT, take that idiotic child seat off the bike and ride it. You will be amazed at how tough steel tubing really is and I am certain there are thousands of mile left in that frame before a repair becomes necessary.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 10-21-20, 09:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If you want to make it right, then have the top tube replaced. Down tube too if it was damaged. Otherwise, Bondo or some other auto body filler, sand it to shape and paint it. I'd advise against doing any jumps or trick riding.
Old 10-21-20, 10:26 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
The OP came for advice on removing the dent in his top tube and not a debate on whether this bike was his "dream" bike or not. He is the only one that can answer the question.
The bike is black, so the paint will not be an issue to match well enough, if I wanted to remove the dent, I would "tap" down the highs created by the clamp and fill it with a plastic filler, sand paint, and enjoy it...if you can make some wooden roller blocks you could also roll the dent out...it will still need filler and after all, it's your dream and not others!
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 10-21-20 at 06:26 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-22-20, 06:52 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

I'll have the bike in my hands in a few days, we'll see how bad it is once I remove the clamps.

The general consensus on the framebuilders subforum is that if I remove the carrier it would probably be alright to ride, even in this condition.

@xiaoman1 talk about dreams and people start thinking about theirs.
It's alright, people are entitled to their opinions and even if they disagree I might still find some truth in it. Or a general warning. I won't pour money into this bike until I have fully inspected it and have fixed the most glaring problems with it. And if it's unrepairable I will strip it for parts and make sure nobody else will think of repairing it.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 10-22-20, 08:23 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Kovkov
Rotate that child‘s seat 90 degrees and squeeze the tube again .
That is exactly what I would do!!! But do so gently and slowly. Triple-butted tubing would be thinnest mid tube so you may see some level of success . There's probably a more sophisticated, professional method but I'm sure it would involve significant cost. Since your investment at this point is only 30 Euros, you've got little to lose! If your attempts to squeeze it back into relative roundness fails, strip it down and sell the parts and perhaps even come out ahead Euro-wise!
Likes For sovende:
Old 10-23-20, 01:49 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Got the frame today and it looks like this might be salvagable. The dent is hardly visible without the child carrier but there is some bulging when checked with a caliper.
Made a project thread in the C&V section for those wanting to see more pictures and how the un-denting goes in the future.

Slightly dented on top

Barely dented below

29mm tube in the rear

31mm around the dent

27 up down around the dent

Spider underneath

But all in all a great basis for a project.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 10-23-20, 04:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
My 79 Schwinn Varsity was a 26" frame with a long head tube like yours and typical of that periods larger frame sizes. However the wheels on that are throwing out my perception of scale on that thing. Are they 650b? My Varsity was 27" wheels.

Dent really isn't that noticeable with the extra saddle off. But I did notice the front shifter on the seat tube now. That's the oddest thing. As much as the phrase "I've never seen that before" bothers me, I'm going to say... I've never seen that before!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-23-20, 06:38 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Iride01
My 79 Schwinn Varsity was a 26" frame with a long head tube like yours and typical of that periods larger frame sizes. However the wheels on that are throwing out my perception of scale on that thing. Are they 650b? My Varsity was 27" wheels.

Dent really isn't that noticeable with the extra saddle off. But I did notice the front shifter on the seat tube now. That's the oddest thing. As much as the phrase "I've never seen that before" bothers me, I'm going to say... I've never seen that before!
No they are 700C with 28mm tyres. But I hear you on the ratios.

The shifter is for the bottom bracket dynamo. Koga put them on all their touring bikes at the time.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 10-24-20, 08:42 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Now that you have the seat off it actually looks good!

Glad you got it and wish you the best of luck.
Likes For Thomas15: