Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

🤔 Do I actually need to carry a repair kit? 🤔

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

🤔 Do I actually need to carry a repair kit? 🤔

Old 10-24-20, 01:19 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger
I have no doubt whatsoever I could learn how to do it. But all the crap I'd need all the sudden and have on me at all times? The tube, the pump, the levers... and a place to put them, That's what seems like a PITA.
So attach them to the bike. For example:

The saddlebag has a multitool, a set of tire levers, a Park GP-2 glueless patch kit, and a spare tube. My pump is next to the front water bottle, mounted on the same bolts that hold the water bottle cage.

The actual PITA is calling someone to pick you up because you couldn't just fix the problem on the go. It's not difficult to fix a puncture.

Originally Posted by Ironskillet
anyone have any good recommendations for a good small pump that can attach to a bottle cage?
I'm fond of the Topeak RaceRocket HP, which is what's in my photo above. It's quite small and weights less than 90g, and aesthetically "blends" better with a bike that most pumps do when mounted alongside a bottle cage. It has a very narrow cylinder, so it takes a lot of pumps to bring a tire up to pressure, but I don't find this to be much of a problem: the threaded chuck is on a rubber hose, so it's easy to pump very rapidly without worrying about damaging the valve stem. And since the cylinder is narrow, it's not difficult to achieve reasonably high pressures if desired.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 10-24-20, 01:22 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I always carry a repair kit an as a ride captain on club rides would help others with repairs.
Many new riders don’t know how to do the basics. An it helps them learn how to do the simple things.
Old 10-24-20, 02:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironskillet
anyone have any good recommendations for a good small pump that can attach to a bottle cage?
I have a Lezyne Road Drive that came with a bottle cage mount (as in goes between the frame and the cage). I haven't had to use it on the road, having not had a flat since I gave up on CO2 inflaters.

(knock on wood)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-24-20, 02:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
I always carry a repair kit an as a ride captain on club rides would help others with repairs.
Many new riders don’t know how to do the basics. An it helps them learn how to do the simple things.
Years ago, I used to ride with a club, and on one ride I flatted. Before I knew what was happening, the Simonetti brothers, Carlo and Luca, had snatched my saddle bag and pump, swapped out the tube, and were finishing pumping it up. Fastest tire fix I'd ever seen, outside of NASCAR!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-24-20, 02:18 PM
BenBoozer

Bikes: 2020 Domane SL 5, 2016 Crossrip Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts
Heck, some bikes make it easy to carry your kit. The downtube on my Domane SL5 contains my spare tube, c02, tire lever and tools, its always there. I don't even use my saddle bag any more.
Old 10-24-20, 02:23 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I ride about the same amount of mileage you do. But I also always like to be prepared. Therefore I always carry a spare tube, patch kit, pump and multi-tool. I've changed tubes on the fly on a few occassions. I don't like to rely on other people. Once a stick got stuck in my rear derailleur and it snapped clean off rendering the bike completely unrideable. The one time I needed someone to give me a ride no one was around. I walked the rest of the way home. Not too long but it just goes to show you, learn to rely on yourself. Self reliance is liberating.
Old 10-24-20, 02:37 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I carry flat-fixing stuff for any ride outside (easy) walking distance from home.

There’s no guarantee that assistance is available when I need it.

If I leave the bike for later retrieval, there’s no guarantee it’ll be there for me to pick up. And as a commuter, that’s a real nuisance. Well worth getting my hands dirty to avoid that.
Old 10-24-20, 02:43 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Not a lot of flats, but half from overnight twits breaking bottles on the MUP, combined with early morning commutes. A little late beats way late.... Flats happen....

I started 8 years ago paying way too much for the privelege of knowing nothing bike related. Between the good folks here and Youtube, I've saved on all but the more involved repairs
Old 10-24-20, 03:00 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I personally would not ride without knowing how to change tubes or patch a flat. I’ve called my wife once in the last four years and that was because I was < 3 miles from home, it was 90 deg and I was soaked. My Domane is tubeless, so I carry two CO2 carts and my mini pump (habit). My Roubaix saddle bag has a patch kit and spare tube in it, plus I’ll carry a second tube in my jersey pocket. The mini pump goes back on the water bottle cage mount.
Old 10-24-20, 03:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
You're fine without any tools. To be clear, however, DO NOT CALL ME IF YOU GET A FLAT! I will not come to get you.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-24-20, 03:05 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
I usually carry a small multi-tool, phone, credit card, and a twenty dollar bill, which will pretty much solve any issues I have on a ride. Then again, my wife and I, and most of my friends are retired, and they all have pick-ups or vans, a flat is a good excuse to get together for breakfast, lunch, or a beer. Of course I’m buying.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 10-24-20, 03:29 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Personally, I'd say that if you feel lucky and well-supported you are spot on with not wanting to acquire and carry stuff that you may never need. Pay no attention to the pessimists that prepare for things that never happen to good folk, like flats, broken chains, slipping seat post, etc.
Old 10-24-20, 03:29 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
i carry a spare bike attached to my back. can never be too prepared.
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 10-24-20, 03:51 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,823 Posts
Cycling is not good exercise, I hear, but walking is. Don't' bring tools or tubes.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-24-20, 03:56 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
i carry a spare bike attached to my back. can never be too prepared.
I think you'll find carrying a pump and a means to repair a puncture is not even close to carrying "a spare bike". But ,hey, go without the very minimum if you want.
Old 10-24-20, 05:42 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Why bother carrying a heavy water bottle? Hopefully someone will be standing by the road just waiting to give you free water.......
Or you can call someone to come give you a drink.
Old 10-24-20, 05:44 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Love it! Next time I'm finding it hard to go uphill with a loaded bike, I can call my friends to carry the stuff up and I can pick it up to go down the hill.
This is bloody brilliant! Nothing like expecting one's friends to come bail you out because you can't be bothered even with the basics.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 10-24-20, 06:00 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've only done the "call of shame" once so far. I was riding gravel down a hill one evening, racing to get back home before dark. I hit some large flat rock in the middle of the road, too late to swerve or miss it, and I heard the hiss from the front tire and knew I was going flat. Had it not been getting dark I'd have just thrown a new tube in, but I didn't want to ride unfamiliar gravel in the dark with a not-very-bright headlight. So I called my wife who came out and picked me up. I ended up having not one but two sets of pinch flats in my tube. Nowadays, though, I have better headlights so should it happen again I'll just fix it on the side of the road, though I still don't ride much gravel in the dark.
Old 10-24-20, 06:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have no doubt whatsoever I could learn how to do it. But all the crap I'd need all the sudden and have on me at all times? The tube, the pump, the levers... and a place to put them, That's what seems like a PITA.
Doesn't take up that much room

This is all i carry and I go on many 50+ mile solo rides.

Most shops have basic mechanic classes for free or a few dollars. If you're doesn't, then suggest they do it.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-24-20, 06:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Threads like these I’m still surprised people don’t learn how to do this when they were, like, eight or ten, and there are actually classes and even practice
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-24-20, 06:25 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Threads like these I’m still surprised people don’t learn how to do this when they were, like, eight or ten, and there are actually classes and even practice
What do shops charge for labor to replace a tube?

BTW, it takes me maybe 5 minutes to replace the tube on the side of the road. How much time does someone waste driving to the LBS, waiting and driving home?
Old 10-24-20, 06:27 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
Anyone that rides a bike should know how to fix a flat. I think my Dad showed me how to do it when I was 7. I am not one to carry a bunch of tools around but do not go anywhere without what I need to fix a flat. It is pretty easy to swap a tube and refill a tire and the parts and tools you need are about as expensive as that Uber ride you take and way less expensive than replacing the bike that you left locked up hoping it would still be there when you got back.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 10-24-20, 06:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
It's called the "call of shame" for a reason.

Spend $40 on a kit, watch a youtube video, and then fix your own flat tire when it happens. It's part of being a cyclist.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-24-20, 06:58 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9524 Post(s)
Liked 6,266 Times in 3,454 Posts
Dude, levers ($7), tube ($8), CO2 inflator and cartridges ($20), and saddle bag ($15) is a small price to be prepared. It ain’t rocket science.

You’ll pay more than that buying your friend dinner after he picks you up.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-24-20, 06:59 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...e+bicycle+tube

Likes For GlennR:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.