Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Winter air in the tyres . . .

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-20, 04:38 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts

Can't believe I'm writing this. All summer (such as it is in N Blighty) I've had to pump my tyres up like twice a week or so. A pain, really is. 'Cos if you don't, you bottom on the rims, and don't go so quick. It's hard on the old nether regions when one does that.
Come winter, I've not had to touch the pump. Now, I'm not going to expand on the physical properties of cooler air, but I'd ha thought I'd need more of it in the tyres, and possibly in me when I'm riding . . . .
Any explanation? It's been months since I've pumped, and am kinda wondering if something is seriously amiss . . . . . . .
Old 01-09-20, 05:43 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Crap this reminds me, I still have the summer air in my tires. I better get it swapped...
Old 01-09-20, 05:54 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
'Tires lose air normally through the process of permeation, the council says. "Changes in outdoor temperature can affect the rate at which your tire loses air. This change is more pronounced in hot weather. Generally speaking, a(n automotive) tire will lose one or two pounds of air per month in cool weather, and even more in warmer weather." '

Which is different than,

'Every time the outside temperature drops 10 degrees Fahrenheit, the air pressure inside your tires goes down about one or two psi. Drivers should check their tire pressures frequently during cold weather, adding enough air to keep them at recommended levels of inflation at all times.'

From - https://www.drivers.com/article/354/
Old 01-10-20, 07:32 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
...Any explanation?
No, but I've noticed this myself. Since I keep my bikes outside in an unheated shed, and I commute year-round, it's nice to not have to stand in the cold and top off the tires most mornings. I can usually wait till I get to work and do it indoors where I store my bike.
Old 01-10-20, 08:54 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Just my take-nothing to back it up, but: tubes/tires are more flexible when warmer, and they will more easily stretch, which allows the "pores" to open more, allowing more air to escape. If cold, they are "harder", so less air is able to escape. Think of the tires/tubes as water--when frozen, water will roll over and off of the ice, if in a liquid state, the water will go right into and through the water it is being poured into. At least, that's my take on it.
Old 01-10-20, 07:42 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Just another source to add to post 3.

"For rubber, permeation is the rate at which small molecules of a gas or liquid transfer through a rubber compound." and "Temperature is another factor that complicates permeability. Typically, the higher the temperature, the higher the rate of diffusion."
from - https://www.applerubber.com/hot-topi...ber-compounds/
Old 01-11-20, 04:32 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
'Tires lose air normally through the process of permeation, the council says. "Changes in outdoor temperature can affect the rate at which your tire loses air. This change is more pronounced in hot weather. Generally speaking, a(n automotive) tire will lose one or two pounds of air per month in cool weather, and even more in warmer weather." '

Which is different than,

'Every time the outside temperature drops 10 degrees Fahrenheit, the air pressure inside your tires goes down about one or two psi. Drivers should check their tire pressures frequently during cold weather, adding enough air to keep them at recommended levels of inflation at all times.'

From - https://www.drivers.com/article/354/
I lose more air in winter than summer.
Old 01-12-20, 09:26 AM
fuel0707

Bikes: Lauf True Grit; Trek Madone, Domane and Checkpoint; EMB-505

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
So many factors affect this. If you're running tubes, the material of the tube is a factor. I have latex tubes on one of my bikes and those lose noticeable pressure just overnight when sitting in the garage. On the other hand, well-sealed tubeless tires tend to hold pressure much better than any of the wheel sets with tubes in the garage.