Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A memorable ride in this morning....

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 12:52 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts

Facebook reminded me it was on this date, March 23rd in 2012, in the morning that I resumed riding to work after a bulging disk in my neck changed my life in September 2010. I didn't ride for over a year, and didn't resume commuting until 8 years ago today.

I was in constant pain for four months, which then began to subside for longer and longer periods each day. I began walking, then running on the treadmill through the fall and winter to get my cardio up. Then I began shorter rides until I though I could make the 9 miles to work.

Here is a photo from that day in 2012, and again today!

I got to work and found out we will be on a reduced schedule effective immediately. Such is life in the time of Coronavirus.
That is snow atop Pikes Peak just above my helmet in today's photo.

2012:

2020:
Old 03-23-20, 01:31 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Nice, and congrats on getting back on 8 years ago and sticking to it.
Old 03-23-20, 02:01 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Congratulations on your back-to-riding anniversary!
Old 03-23-20, 05:50 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Facebook seems to know a lot about you.

Congratulations, on getting back on your bike.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 03-24-20, 09:35 AM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Great keeping at it! I wish that I was more in to bikes back when I lived in the Springs.
s that Quail Lake? Back in the 90's I worked just up the hill at Quantum in the old Cray building.
Likes For RoadKill:
Old 03-24-20, 10:42 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by RoadKill
Great keeping at it! I wish that I was more in to bikes back when I lived in the Springs.
s that Quail Lake? Back in the 90's I worked just up the hill at Quantum in the old Cray building.
Yes, it's Quail Lake. I work just across the "valley" from what was Quantum. When I first started working in 1992 it was Cray Super Computer, then Quantum, then Honeywell. It has been vacant for the last three years.

You may enjoy this video of mine from 2016...
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-25-20, 07:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
What treatment did you do for the disc? I had surgery in 1988, one month before my first kid was born. For months, I was unable to walk or stand or even think.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-25-20, 11:37 AM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by noglider
What treatment did you do for the disc? I had surgery in 1988, one month before my first kid was born. For months, I was unable to walk or stand or even think.
Through MRIs they determined the disc was bulging and not slipped, so they put me on steroids and anti-inflamatories. I went to a doctor of osteopathy who performed a quick adjustment, just like in the movies and tv...he held my arm behind me and braced my shoulder and twisted my neck. There was a small popping sound and the pain was gone...but for only 20 minutes.

Then they did a steroid injection in my neck and said two or three may be necessary. The first did nothing. A few weeks later the second seemed to help. I began experiencing short pain-free periods which grew by the week. And the build-up of pain was slower.

By the way, when I say pain...it was all in my left arm, from the bicep down to my middle finger-tip. My neck itself didn't hurt. WHen the original DO tapped the side of my neck, it felt as if he was tapping my fore-arm.

Had my condition not shown improvement, the next steps would have been a third steroid injection, followed by surgury if necessary.

Just as with your case, I was unable to walk, stand or think, but I had to go to work, as it was a small business, and my friend, the owner was dying of cancer and I had to run things. Lots of pain, lots of depression and no bike riding. I really don't know how I got through it, other than having a strong, capable, smart and beautiful wife.
Old 03-25-20, 11:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yup, referred pain is normal. My herniated disc was L5-S1, I.e. the lowest one. I had pain in my leg only. But my back was twisted, and people could see it when they looked at me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-31-20, 01:05 PM
PollyS8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Congrats! That seems so good, isn't it?
Old 04-03-20, 05:39 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I really don't know how I got through it, other than having a strong, capable, smart and beautiful wife.
That'll do it.
Old 04-05-20, 11:27 PM
KeepPedaling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Sick! Congrats on the recovery.
Old 04-06-20, 01:42 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
…Just as with your case, I was unable to walk, stand or think, but I had to go to work, as it was a small business, and my friend, the owner was dying of cancer and I had to run things. Lots of pain, lots of depression and no bike riding.

I really don't know how I got through it, other than having a strong, capable, smart and beautiful wife
Originally Posted by gaucho777
That'll do it.
I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
.BTW, my wife is a nurse, and she tended me well during my three month convalescence from my cycling accident [which included a fractured sacrum]

Our relationship was early on very bicycle-centered, including a cross-country cycling honeymoon, so she does not give me a hard time about continuing cycling.
On the other hand, as I recently posted:
Originally Posted by designengine
working from home sux.... I want an excuse to get out on my bicycle but escapism gets away from family duties.

Every time I open my laptop to work my wife gets anxiety and gives em some chores. probably because she knows Im going to shoot the **** on forums.. LOL
Off the pandemic topic, but about the wife's tolerance of posting to BF. Our relationship early on was very bike-oriented with touring, including a cross country cycling honeymoon in 1977. So she is very tolerant of my cycling, and knows I post to BF.

On a couple of occasions,
"snow storm coming, who's happy about it?" ...

Another major snowstorm is predicted for this evening (2/12). I wanted to ride to work for the first one on 12/8, but she usually chides me with “You just want to ride today so you can write about it to Bike Forums.”

So tomorrow morning we may well be within the throes of another snowstorm, with the plows out in force.
...I've also had the opportunity to meet Louis and he is a congenial and genuinely nice guy, and his avatar does capture his gentle nature.

A few months ago though, he changed the picture to the sinister and nasty-looking "Soup Nazi" character from Seinfield with the iconic tagline, "No soup for you."...

I was on Bikeforums reading a post from him and my wife passed by. She then chided me and asked what kind of information I was posting. She said "Look at that guy (Louis' new avatar); he could be a drug dealer!"

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-06-20 at 01:55 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: