Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What would be needed to convert this to a 1x11?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-20, 12:51 PM
montanasoftware

Bikes: 1970s Gitane Tour de France with double-butted Reynolds 531 throughout and Sport-Touring geometry; 1985 Cannondale racing; 1990s Fuji racing frameset with Reynolds 853 & Ultegra groupo; 1990s old "beater" Univega CroMo Mtn. Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hi: I'm looking at this used bike, but it's set up with a Gates belt-drive single-speed system:

Those are American Classic hubs from 2012 or 2013. Would I need a new rear hub? The frame is a 2013 REEB All-Mountain. Is a derailleur hanger available for that? What cassette, derailleur, and shifter would you recommend? I'd like to not spend much. This will be used for Bikepacking and mult-surface touring.

It's been a really long time since I worked as a bike mechanic, and everything has changed so much. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-11-20, 01:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Make it all different ?

A new back wheel, big range cassetter , Rear Mech, chainring. all the tools to take what's on there and more put something else on
+ the right dropout with the hanger for the rear mech, .. and the shifters,,

How about a Shimano Alfine 11 speed gear hub and leave the belt drive on it? Or Rohloff 14 speeds ?

To Know How Much (?) Ask the shop that will be doing the Work.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-11-20 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-11-20, 01:10 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
11 speed groupset a wheel and tools.
Old 06-11-20, 01:11 PM
montanasoftware

Bikes: 1970s Gitane Tour de France with double-butted Reynolds 531 throughout and Sport-Touring geometry; 1985 Cannondale racing; 1990s Fuji racing frameset with Reynolds 853 & Ultegra groupo; 1990s old "beater" Univega CroMo Mtn. Bike.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you for the responses. I was hoping to keep the existing hub and crank, add a cassette to the existing hub, a chainring to the existing crank, a bolt-on derailleur hanger (I think REEB has one), and keep the costs down. I'll do the work myself, but It's been a long time since I've dived into what solutions are on the market. Does anyone know if the hub pictured can accept a cassette?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-20, 01:40 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by montanasoftware
Thank you for the responses. I was hoping to keep the existing hub and crank, add a cassette to the existing hub, a chainring to the existing crank, a bolt-on derailleur hanger (I think REEB has one), and keep the costs down. I'll do the work myself, but It's been a long time since I've dived into what solutions are on the market. Does anyone know if the hub pictured can accept a cassette?

Thanks!
It's possible that that Gates cog is on a freehub cassette body. If that's the case, you could just swap it out for a cassette.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the case here. That looks like a regular cassette lockring.

Last edited by ljsense; 06-11-20 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-11-20, 01:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Was the hub a wide cassette driver and a bunch of spacers to put that 1 belt cog on?

what Specific hub ?, I can't guess.. too much bother..
Old 06-11-20, 02:40 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
That looks like it may be a single speed specific hub, so a full cassette may not fit on it. The dropouts are Paragon Machine Works sliders and you can get the drive side insert with a derailleur hanger from them. So, you'll need:

11 speed right hand shifter
11 speed cassette
11 speed derailleur
Narrow/wide chainring
11 speed chain
Drive side sliding dropout insert with derailleur hanger
I don't see cable stops or guides on the chainstay, so some zip ties or stick on guides
Possibly a new rear wheel
Old 06-11-20, 02:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,810 Times in 1,534 Posts
keep it single speed....it will build character in the hills

Old 06-11-20, 02:48 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

there could be an issue with shifter disc brake compatibility also, that would need to be checked out

Old 06-11-20, 06:31 PM
montanasoftware

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks again for all the replies. I got some better photos from the seller. The hub is American Classic, and the freehub is SRAM PG 1070.

So ... which cassettes will fit on the SRAM PG 1070 freehub? I've heard that all Shimano 10 and 11 gear cassettes will fit, but can anyone verify that?

Next step is to find out which chainrings are compatible with FSA cranks.

Thanks!

SRAM PG 1070 Freehub

Better view of the spacers
Old 06-11-20, 06:35 PM
montanasoftware

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
there could be an issue with shifter disc brake compatibility also, that would need to be checked out
Hi ... I'm sorry but I'm not sure where the incompatibility would be. Are you talking about the derailleur hanger? Location of the shifter on the handlebar? Sorry for being such a newb with this new stuff. I used to wrench in a bike shop, but the bikes I worked on are all considered classic road bikes now.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-11-20, 07:37 PM
squirtdad

Hi ... I'm sorry but I'm not sure where the incompatibility would be. Are you talking about the derailleur hanger? Location of the shifter on the handlebar? Sorry for being such a newb with this new stuff. I used to wrench in a bike shop, but the bikes I worked on are all considered classic road bikes now.

Thanks for your help.
ad bikes now.

Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]
no expert but if you are switching to a combined shifter/brake lever you would want to make sure the lever works with the existing brakes. If shifter is separate then no worries

Old 06-11-20, 08:44 PM
montanasoftware

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
no expert but if you are switching to a combined shifter/brake lever you would want to make sure the lever works with the existing brakes. If shifter is separate then no worries
Yes ... good point ... I think I'll go with the Shimano XT rear shifter standalone, along with the XT derailleur and cassette. That will be fine for the next few years at least. This bike is a good deal for a custom-made high-end steel frame with high end components and the geometry that I like. More than I planned on spending, but it's a long-term investment.

-Robert

Last edited by montanasoftware; 06-11-20 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 01:41 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I would leave it as is but purchase a Rohloff 14 speed internal hub. Then you can mess with rear cog and crank sizes to get the gear ratio that you need. I think that you have a very very sweet setup here and going back to a traditional chain set would be going in the wrong direction.
Likes For Elvo:
Old 06-12-20, 02:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
What type riding do you intend to do? If for road biking, I just don't see this as a good thing unless you are getting the bike for free. QR's on disc brake wheels aren't considered a great combination. Though for those that don't have to dissipate a lot of energy to stop their momentum, they'll probably be fine.

But for the price you are going to have to pay to put 11 speed on it, you should be able to find a bike already with it. Again, even if this bike is free.

And if the frame isn't light, then you'll probably dislike it when you max out your climbing ability if you ride a lot. I sort of got that way with the Paramount frame I put new 11 speed on.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-12-20 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 02:27 PM
ljsense

Thanks again for all the replies. I got some better photos from the seller. The hub is American Classic, and the freehub is SRAM PG 1070.

So ... which cassettes will fit on the SRAM PG 1070 freehub? I've heard that all Shimano 10 and 11 gear cassettes will fit, but can anyone verify that?

Next step is to find out which chainrings are compatible with FSA cranks.

Thanks!

SRAM PG 1070 Freehub

Better view of the spacers
The 1070 Sram thing is just a lockring that came with a 10-speed cassette. To tell what kind of freehub body you have under the spacers and cog, you'll have to take that off and slide out the spacers. If it's a 10-speed freehub body, you won't easily fit a 11-speed cassette on the existing driver. It can be done, but it involves various cobbles, such as machining off a little bit of the cassette's backside.

Things I don't know: whether this hub has interchangeable freehub bodies. If so, you could just pop off the 10 speed one and pop in an 11-speed one. DT Swiss hubs are modular this way, as are several others, but not all of them let you do this.

Second, the black part closest to the hub, I can't really tell what that is -- Is it a spacer that covers the freehub body and just has a flared shape? Or is it part of an unusual freehub body designed for single speed setups so you don't have to use a bunch of spacers?
Old 06-12-20, 02:38 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Someone has stated that 11sp Shimano MTB cassettes will fit into a 10sp hub.
Old 06-12-20, 04:39 PM
montanasoftware

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
I would leave it as is but purchase a Rohloff 14 speed internal hub. Then you can mess with rear cog and crank sizes to get the gear ratio that you need. I think that you have a very very sweet setup here and going back to a traditional chain set would be going in the wrong direction.
Yeah ... that would be an awesome setup, but, unfortunately, I can't afford it. A Rohloff SpeedHub costs more than $1,200.00 if I buy it used on eBay, plus the new spokes would add at least another $75. And that's not even dealing with the headache of trying to mate the Gates rear cog to the Rohloff hub. Replacing-resizing the Gates rear cog or front chainring would cost another $100+. I'm spending $2,800 for the enitre 2nd-hand bike, which is over budget already.

I can get a decent XT cassette, derailleur, shifter, chain, and chainring (11-50) for about $300.00 or less. The only thing I was trying to do in this thread is to figure out which of those replacement pieces will fit on the existing bike. I've gotten it all figured out now, so here is the info, in case someone else is looking for this in the future:

- A SRAM PG 1070 is compatible with Shimano MTB 10-speed and 11-speed cassettes, and is also compatible with SRAM 10-speed cassettes.
- Shimano drivetrain sets, including cassette, derailleur, shifter, and chain are available on ebay and amazon for decent prices.
- A replacement dropout with derailleur hanger is available from Paragon for $25: https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...mm-skewer.html
- The front chainring is 104mm BCD (bolt center diameter). I'll probably go with 30 or 32t. That BCD is for the FSA V drive crank on my bike ... other cranks may vary.

I plan to ride this bike on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route, which has more than 150,000 feet of vertical climbing over 2700 miles, sometimes over mountain passes as high as 11,000 feet. I definitely don't plan to ride a single-speed MTB, fully loaded with camping gear over that kind of terrain. Converting to a 1x11 setup seems to be the most practical, common-sense solution. Call me crazy, but I think it's perfectly OK to have a chain on a bike.

Last edited by montanasoftware; 06-12-20 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 04:49 PM
montanasoftware

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
The 1070 Sram thing is just a lockring that came with a 10-speed cassette. To tell what kind of freehub body you have under the spacers and cog, you'll have to take that off and slide out the spacers. If it's a 10-speed freehub body, you won't easily fit a 11-speed cassette on the existing driver. It can be done, but it involves various cobbles, such as machining off a little bit of the cassette's backside.
Yes ... that's just the lockring, but the Gates belt drive rear cog from 2012 can ONLY fit onto a Shimano-compatible freehub. Also, the shimano 10-speed cassettes and 11-speed cassettes are fully interchangeable.

Things I don't know: whether this hub has interchangeable freehub bodies. If so, you could just pop off the 10 speed one and pop in an 11-speed one. DT Swiss hubs are modular this way, as are several others, but not all of them let you do this.
Good point, but that won't be necessary, since we know the freehub is Shimano compatible.

Second, the black part closest to the hub, I can't really tell what that is -- Is it a spacer that covers the freehub body and just has a flared shape? Or is it part of an unusual freehub body designed for single speed setups so you don't have to use a bunch of spacers?
That's definitely a spacer that comes off.

Thanks for your attention ... thanks to everybody ... I appreciate the help.

Last edited by montanasoftware; 06-12-20 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 04:50 PM
montanasoftware

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Someone has stated that 11sp Shimano MTB cassettes will fit into a 10sp hub.
Yes ... they are fully interchangeable.

Wow ... Thanks again to everybody ... this has been a real learning experience for me. I hope that I'll be able to return the help someday when I learn more.

Last edited by montanasoftware; 06-12-20 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 05:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Sram has long wanted to get a big slice of Shimano's dominant market share, so they are among the many companies
making parts that are using their standards^....
Old 06-12-20, 09:54 PM
ljsense

I had no idea that 11-speed mtb cassettes fit on a 10-speed freehub body. I thought it was the same as road. That's good to know.