Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Installation of new seat

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Installation of new seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-20, 12:12 PM
burtd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Installation of new seat

Hi. I'm looking to get a new seat for my 1990 Trek 1100 (to help prevent a sore butt). I found one that I like but cannot seem to find details about how it attaches to the bike. Do these things tend to be pretty standard?

I'm not allowed to post links yet on this forum, but you can Google "Bike Saddle Wide Large Cycling Noseless Soft PU Seat Accessories for Bicycle" to see the seat I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Burt
Old 06-23-20, 02:53 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
That saddle has standard rails. Usually the seat post has a clamp built into it, sometimes there's a separate clamp that'll have to come off your old saddle. You'll need a 5 or 6 mm Allen key for the former, a 14 mm combination wrench or socket for the latter.

Sometimes the clamp is a struggle. Some have complex adjusting mechanisms. Sometimes there's a hidden plate above the rails that needs to come off, but try rotating that plate 90 degrees first if you have one. Take a photo of the clamp before you take it apart.
Old 06-23-20, 03:02 PM
burtd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Andrew for your response.

I just realized that my original post did not make it clear that I have not actually purchased the seat yet. Do you think I should go ahead and order it? You're saying it has standard rails. Does that mean you're pretty sure it'll fit my bike?
Old 06-23-20, 03:39 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I don't know anyone who has installed a noseless saddle and liked it. the more miles/kilometres they ride the less they like the saddle. A fair bit of steering is done subconsciously by pressing a thigh slightly against the nose of the saddle. If I were you, I'd go to a bicycle shop and see if I could get one that has an exchange policy if you don't like the saddle.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-23-20, 05:49 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It is counter-intuitive but a thickly-padded saddle is generally not very comfortable. Here is an article with a lot of information you may find useful: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
Old 06-23-20, 06:07 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I owned a noseless saddle and it didn't appeal to me so I sold it. They guy that bought it from me loved it and this was his second one, so there are people who like these.

As for installing it, they go on like all other saddles and you won't have a problem. The advice given above about installation was very good. The beauty of any saddle is if you don't like it you can always change it back to what you had or buy something else. Good luck.
Old 06-23-20, 09:44 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
If you haven't bought it yet, don't. I agree with that advice. Those things are horrible.

If there's a bike coop in your area, look in their bins. There are probably a couple of similar used saddles in there that you can try out for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
Old 06-24-20, 11:29 AM
burtd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your input. Much appreciated!