Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Handlebar bag suggestions needed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 09:43 PM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
Handlebar bag suggestions needed...

I'm looking for a handlebar bag. I don't need anything huge. This is for single day events. Not bikepacking or anything. I do want something that will fit between standard drop bars and still give me room to use the drops, and I would like something that hangs below the bar so I can still use my computer with the out front mount.

I welcome any and all suggestions.
Old 08-18-20, 04:15 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
From what I've seen, there are three or four basic ways to attach a bag at this location.

You can just hang a bag from the handlebar. I've tried one of these and have up on it. It tends to flop under the bar and I find this pretty useless.

There are the ones that hang from a steel support that cantilevers forward from the center of the bar. The old Cannondale handle bar bags are like that. The advantage is it's easy to move from bike to bike. But they're not big. I have one that I rarely use.

Some attach to the bar with a click-fix system. These can be pretty nice but they always stand to a couple inches higher than I'd like. I have one that I used to use a lot but I never really liked it. I won't replace it.

And finally there are the ones that require a front rack and decaleur. This is by far the most expensive type of bag, and the rack and decaleur may cost almost as much as the bag. But it's really the best way to mount a bag. I have two of these, both older models from Velo Orange that they don't make anymore. I use one of them all the time. If I needed to replace it I'd probably get the current model from Velo Orange.
Old 08-18-20, 08:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I am not suggesting a bag, but only mentioning how you can lower the bag using a second stem. But this means you need to have enough steerer tube for a second stem and you also have to have enough height that the bag will clear whatever is below the bag. And you need a stub of handlebar or a tube to go between the stem and bag bracket. I used a piece of PVC pipe on one of my bikes as this tube, but it cracked and broke, so I advise against PVC pipe.

Thorn also makes an accessory T bar that functions the same way, I used that on a couple bikes, but the shipping cost from the UK to USA these days is a bit high. On one of my bikes I only had 25mm of spare steerer tube, thus a second stem would not work but the T bar did.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessor...-222-mm-0-deg/

I just barely had clearance with a different one of my handlebar bags on this bike.

Old 08-18-20, 09:02 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
The Topeak Tourguide is a decent inexpensive option. I have one that I used quite a lot for a few seasons. The fixer has a spot to mount your computer, but probably not with the out-front mount. I can't think of anything that mounts to the handlebars AND hangs below the bar so you could use the out-front mount.
Old 08-18-20, 09:17 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
I have and love the Dill Pickle handlebar bag. Mounts securely just using straps, not too big, very clever design that does everything you need it to. It carries enough for a 400k when paired with a small under-seat tool pouch. But it also doesn't mount below the bar, so you'd need to attach your computer to the stem or something.
Old 08-18-20, 03:03 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
This one is not cheap, but it works wonderfully. You really don't need to run the elastic straps to the handlebars unless you're riding off-road and need extra stability.

https://www.ruthworkssf.com/store/p6...ht_Brevet.html

Ultralight Brevet bag on my Seven Redsky

Last edited by David in Maine; 08-18-20 at 03:09 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-18-20, 08:01 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
I have and love the Dill Pickle handlebar bag. Mounts securely just using straps, not too big, very clever design that does everything you need it to. It carries enough for a 400k when paired with a small under-seat tool pouch. But it also doesn't mount below the bar, so you'd need to attach your computer to the stem or something.
I use the dill pickle bag and it's a great handlebar bag. I just mount my wahoo on the stem instead of using the out-in-front mount. The garmin mounts are much better than the zip-tie crap that wahoo includes with their units, the garmin ones just need a bit of trimming to hold the slightly larger wahoo tabs.
Old 08-19-20, 02:04 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I love my Dill Pickle but won't really work with an out in front.

There's some options if you want to go small and work around the out in front getting in the way.
I'm waiting for one of these to arrive
https://seesense.cc/collections/acce...-sense-bar-bag

Rapha do a similar one:
https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/b...uct/BBA01XXKLP
Old 08-19-20, 02:31 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
This bike has an Acorn handlebar bag and tool roll.

Old 08-27-20, 03:12 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Could be worth keeping an eye on this: https://routewerks.us/
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 08-27-20, 07:36 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Banjo Bros Doesn't flop around.
Velophoria: Reviewed: Banjo Brothers Handlebar Bag
https://banjobrothers.com/collection...bar-bag-medium
Old 09-05-20, 11:08 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I have both a road runner burrito and small speedslev bag. I did replace the zipper pull on the speedslev with a rope one as the stock zipper bounced and made a lot of noise.

Both bags are nice, with the road runner having a better build quality, but at a higher price. I mostly just use them to hold my phone, wallet and sometimes a snack.
Old 09-06-20, 07:37 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I really like the Apidura Racing Handlebar bag.
https://www.apidura.com/shop/racing-handlebar-pack/
Not too big, but it will hold a fair amount. The two bottle/snack holders come in handy to eat on the go and also keeps the drink colder longer. I use aero bars, and it velcro's up to them nicely. Weighs in at 265 grams.
Old 09-07-20, 10:20 AM
XXLHardrock

Bikes: Some old CL beater

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I’ve been using the Swift Zeitgeist for a few months. It fits well in the 46cm drop bars. It’s really well made and the perfect size for me. It does push on the cables a bit which does affect shifting once in a while. If you use the optional foam spacer blocks it will hang slightly below the bars. My Wahoo is mounted on the stem.

This isn’t the most relevant picture but it’s all I have at the moment. Coffee break overlooking the mighty Fraser River.
Old 09-15-20, 03:18 AM
phenry24 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Paramount PDG-7, Peugeot PX10, Bridgestone MB-4, Kona Unit

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
road runner burrito
This is my recommendation, I’ve been using one of these now for a while and have been very pleased with it. Depending on your cable routing and how full you stuff it, it’s possible to achieve very little flopping around or rattling. It will interfere with some out front computer mounts, specifically in my experience K-Edge’s mounts that drop the computer below the top surface of the bars. But it plays nicely with mounts that put the computer slightly above the plane of the bars like the typical Garmin brand Garmin mount that comes with most of their computers. I’m able to fit two 700x35 tubes, a sizable multi-tool, patch kit, 2 tire levers, 2 co2 cartridges, a fiberfix spoke, 2 tire boots, a tubeless bacon strip repair kit, a small bottle of tubeless sealant, and a few gels/bars. If you’re not worried about packing away warmers/wind vest/rain jacket it’s a great size for any rides done during waking hours.