Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Torque Wrench for Crank Fixing Bolt?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-20, 08:26 AM
Dean Ngan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys I'm new to this forum

So basically I went to the mechanic today to get my squeaky drivetrain checked and they took out my crankset (Shimano 105) to regrease it.

After they were done they put it back, but to my horror, they did not use a torque wrench to tighten the left crank arm fixing bolts (sorry I couldn't post a picture as this is my first post) as mentioned in the instructions: "The two left crank arm fixing bolts should be tightened at the same time rather than each fully tightened separately. A torque wrench should be used to check that the tightening torques are within the range of 12 - 14 N·m {105 - 122 in. lbs.}."

What they did was they just used regular allen keys to tighten the bolts in an alternating manner. I rode the bike afterwards and they did not seem to be loose.

What I'm concerned about is whether they overtightened it, and whether that would cause any problems now or in the future.

Should I be worried about this? Any advice would be very much greatly appreciated

Thank you so much in advance Cheers!
Old 09-14-20, 08:37 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
if the mech is using an allen key that's 4in long, I doubt that he'll be able to over torque 12-14 Nm. You don't really need to use a torque wrench for metal stuff unless you're a gorilla.
Only time I'd even think about using a torque wrench is for the following carbon items: stem, handlebars, steerer.

Having said that, I don't use a torque wrench myself, at all. But I do have a good feeling what 4 Nm feel like in my fingers when using an allen key. Generally, using 2 fingers firm pressure gets you close to 4 Nm, and that's all you really need, carry an allen key for the first few rides in case components slip so you can re-tighten. Thru trial and error, you'll soon learn just when enough is enough.

The mechanics, having wrench a lot, they know how much is enough. No reason to distrust a mechanic with even a few months of experience in torqueing bicycle bolts. This isn't rocket science.
Old 09-14-20, 08:42 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
They should use a torque wrench. You should check it to ensure it's not too tight or too loose.

Over the winter I serviced my bottom bracket and used a torque wrench to reassemble. On my second ride the left crank arm fell off.

The flange on the alloy fixing bolt sheered off.

Th torque spec is printed on the fixing bolt in ft-lbs and Nm. I must of set my torque wrench to ft-lbs but used the Nm number, so I over torqued it.

Luckily I was not out of the saddle when it came apart.

So i replace the part, torqued it to the correct number and have 3000 miles since.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-14-20, 08:46 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Technically they should use a torque wrench, but when someone does it for a living they are usually pretty good getting it within range by hand. I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 09-14-20, 09:02 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
They should use a torque wrench. I disagree with the assertion that people who do it for a living are good at feeling a torque range.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 09-14-20, 09:20 AM
aclinjury

The thing about "precision" (and I use this term loosely) tools is... if you use them, you have to regularly calibrate them.
So to those who preach using a torque wrench religiously, how often do you calibrate them?
I'm guess... never?
Old 09-14-20, 09:23 AM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by topflightpro
They should use a torque wrench. I disagree with the assertion that people who do it for a living are good at feeling a torque range.
how do dentists screw down implants and crowns? Do they use any torque wrench? Nope. They go by feel. Tight enough is tight enough. When in doubt, just err on the softer side and bring an allen wrench for the first few rides.
Old 09-14-20, 09:28 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by aclinjury
The thing about "precision" (and I use this term loosely) tools is... if you use them, you have to regularly calibrate them.
So to those who preach using a torque wrench religiously, how often do you calibrate them?
I'm guess... never?
I have a friend that owns a machine shop and I give them to him to have checked yearly.

Since I build a half dozen engines a year, I take care of my tools.

Old 09-14-20, 09:36 AM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by GlennR
I have a friend that owns a machine shop and I give them to him to have checked yearly.

great that you have access to resources that can calibrate free for you.
What about for those home bicycle mechanics who don't have such free access?
I'm sure they're not going to want pay a fee to calibrate? Fee could be more then the worth of their tool.
I have a friend who runs a professional calibration business; they calibrate expensive things like Fluks and o-scopes, equipments in the tens of thousands. You'd be surprised that if left to their own, many of these equipment owners would almost never bother to remember calibrate their stuff, and they use their tools on a daily in much more critical applications. You'd think they'd be religious about their calibration.

But my point is that, if you're going to use cheap "precision" tool (yes, a bicycle torque wrench is cheap stuff) and you don't plan to calibrate it regularly, then you might as well just go by feel, err on the soft side, and bring an allen wrench for the first few rides.
Old 09-14-20, 09:55 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I'm sure they're not going to want pay a fee to calibrate? Fee could be more then the worth of their tool.
I have a friend who runs a professional calibration business; they calibrate expensive things like Fluks and o-scopes, equipments in the tens of thousands. You'd be surprised that if left to their own, many of these equipment owners would almost never bother to remember calibrate their stuff, and they use their tools on a daily in much more critical applications. You'd think they'd be religious about their calibration.

But my point is that, if you're going to use cheap "precision" tool (yes, a bicycle torque wrench is cheap stuff) and you don't plan to calibrate it regularly, then you might as well just go by feel, err on the soft side, and bring an allen wrench for the first few rides.
Its foolish to go by feel and "assume" you have the torque you want. Most machine shops can check and adjust the calibration on your torque wrench. Its an easy thing for them to do. There are several in our town that do. Not hard to get it calibrated locally. I have my torque wrenches calibrated yearly.
Old 09-14-20, 10:06 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

I work on aircooled VWs as a hobby for the past 45 years and have seen more M6 studs ripped out of the magnesium engine case from owners tightening them by "feel". Luckily I found a source for m6/m7 step studs since the m6/m8 don't leave enough material in some places.

I bet 99.99% of bike shops use the Park or Shimano torque wrench and never have them calibrated. But I bet they are a lot close than 99.99% of those that do it by hand.

Also having the "right" torque wrench is important since most are less accurate at the extremes. That's why I have 4 of them.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-14-20, 10:37 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Not mentioned so far is the importance of making sure that both bolts are tightened to the same torque value. Even if the calibration of the torque wrench is off a bit, the bolts will have been tightened equally which is very important
Old 09-14-20, 11:33 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 1,198 Times in 690 Posts
Torque

Originally Posted by Dean Ngan
Hi guys I'm new to this forum

So basically I went to the mechanic today to get my squeaky drivetrain checked and they took out my crankset (Shimano 105) to regrease it.
Welcome to BF.
Sometimes it's just nice to work on your own stuff.
For the cost of a torque wrench, you get a lifetime of comfort.

I'm an IT guy... I tell customers "if you don't trust your IT guy, get a new IT guy"

Same could be said of your bike mechanic.
I trust me to reach for the torque wrench every time.
Re-cabled my bike this weekend, I know all the cable pinch bolts are at the correct torque.

Barry
Old 09-14-20, 11:48 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Do you know of the bar and stem bolts at the correct torque when you're racing down a hill at 45mph?

Trek sells a 5Nm torque key for $20 that will check the bars, stem, seatpost and brake calipers.
Old 09-14-20, 11:59 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts

I don't spend much time on the Samba anymore -- glad to see you still have a hand in it!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-14-20, 12:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
That doesn't follow at all. A torque wrench that might be 10% out is still way better than a person who might be up or down 50% depending on how they're feeling that day.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-14-20, 12:04 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
A torque wrench that might be 10% out is still way better than a person who might be up or down 50% depending on how they're feeling that day.
Or over tighten and it snaps. That's usually the case.

OUCH
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-14-20, 12:25 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
So to , how often do you calibrate them?
I'm guess... never?
I’ve got a length of flat bar with an 1/2” square hole cut at one end and a 3/8” hole at the other. I attach the bar to the torque wrench so that it protrudes horizontally, support the wrench on a table and hang what I consider a known weight off the other end of the bar and see what happens.
While I’m not going to be printing any calibration certificates anytime soon, I’m reasonably confident that differences in thread friction have a greater influence on the torque I’m actually getting than the error in the tool as such.
How often - I haven’t logged that. When the mood takes me. When waiting for an application of epoxy resin to cure. Or the chain wax to melt. About yearly I’d say.

Last edited by dabac; 09-14-20 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-14-20, 12:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Reading a service/overhaul manual they give you a torque specification. To follow directions accurately,
You need a torque wrench offering the same numbers .
Thereby, "How Tight" is assigned a Standardized Number..
Old 09-14-20, 12:36 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 1,198 Times in 690 Posts
Tighten until it snaps, then backoff 1/2 turn.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 09-14-20, 04:42 PM
Dean Ngan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone! :)

Thanks so much for your advice everyone, really appreciate it

​​​
Old 09-14-20, 07:08 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
how do dentists screw down implants and crowns? Do they use any torque wrench?
Mine sure does. If yours doesn't, wow!
Old 09-14-20, 07:14 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by philbob57
Mine sure does. If yours doesn't, wow!
So did mine... he's my brother-in-law.
Old 09-14-20, 07:30 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Or over tighten and it snaps. That's usually the case.

OUCH
Working on an old KLR 650 motorcycle years ago I was not using a torque wrench and fighting a water pump bold, I was not dealing well that day and that may have been the issue, but a torque wrench would have prevented the little snap of the shaft that the 10mm threaded end lived on. I can still feel that little snap. Luckily I was able to find that shaft on eBay for a reasonable price.
Old 09-15-20, 12:33 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
How does one calibrate a torque wrench, and how far off from the displayed number can they actually be?

I own several different varieties, the one I use the most on my bike for seatpost, stem, handlebars, etc is similar to this one:
https://www.parktool.com/product/adj...Torque%20Tools

I also have another larger one that I bought at a hardware store that measures torque at higher levels for things like cranks.

It's never occurred to me to be concerned about the calibration on either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.