Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Considering the '21 Kona Sutra - Clyde concerns

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 09-18-20, 09:14 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts

Okay, so. I pretty much really like my current bike, but I've been really lusting over the Kona Sutra (NOT the LTD) and was thinking of ordering one of the '21 models from my local bike shop.

I'm mostly wondering if any Clydes have ridden one of the newer Sutras and what your thoughts are about the bike?

I guess my main concerns are...
1. Drop bars. Last time I rode with drop bars was in the mid-90s, and I weighed WAY less than I do now. (currently 6'/340#, carrying a beer belly). I'm worried that the ride will be uncomfortable due to my gut getting in the way. But I don't want to switch to a cruiser bar like my current bike has, because the Sutra just wouldn't look right to me - YES, I am really that vain.
2. Bar end shifters. Never used them. They seem straightforward enough, but it seems like maybe I'd want to switch over to a more conventional brake lever/shifter combo set up, whatever those things are called.
3. Weight limit. I have to believe the Sutra, being a touring bike, would be fine for my use and be okay with hauling weight. Couple of panniers out back, handlebar bag, fat guy rider. If nothing else, the cromoly frame should be fine, may have to upgrade wheels?

Anyway, chime in if ya got any thoughts.
Old 09-18-20, 11:35 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I, 6’4” 270 and test rode the Sutra LTD last year. Really liked it and the 1x11 drivetrain over the touring version your considering.

Ability to run 50mm wide tires is a BIG benefit for Clydesdales.

I thought the Stack and reach on the drop bars was a little long for me. Had I purchased the Sutra I would have used a riser and a shorter stems get it more comfortable.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 09-18-20, 12:24 PM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
Okay, so. I pretty much really like my current bike, but I've been really lusting over the Kona Sutra (NOT the LTD) and was thinking of ordering one of the '21 models from my local bike shop.

I'm mostly wondering if any Clydes have ridden one of the newer Sutras and what your thoughts are about the bike?

I guess my main concerns are...
1. Drop bars. Last time I rode with drop bars was in the mid-90s, and I weighed WAY less than I do now. (currently 6'/340#, carrying a beer belly). I'm worried that the ride will be uncomfortable due to my gut getting in the way. But I don't want to switch to a cruiser bar like my current bike has, because the Sutra just wouldn't look right to me - YES, I am really that vain.
2. Bar end shifters. Never used them. They seem straightforward enough, but it seems like maybe I'd want to switch over to a more conventional brake lever/shifter combo set up, whatever those things are called.
3. Weight limit. I have to believe the Sutra, being a touring bike, would be fine for my use and be okay with hauling weight. Couple of panniers out back, handlebar bag, fat guy rider. If nothing else, the cromoly frame should be fine, may have to upgrade wheels?
The trick with drop bars is to get a bike with a substantially upright geometry, which is generally what you are going to get by default on a touring bike. I wouldn't think your weight would be a problem on any quality steel touring bike either. If you order a new one, ask the LBS you order it from to *not* cut the fork stem until you have been fitted onto the bike. That will allow for maximum stem height available to get you into a riding position that works for you before they lop off any length.

As for shifters, both the Trek 520 and the Surly Disc Trucker come with brifters by default. If you are inclined against bar-end shifters (I don't blame you, personally don't like them), you can consider those. If you want mountain bike-style brake levers and shifters "out of the box", you are going to have to buy a bike that comes with a flat bar or variant (trekking bars, etc.). One option there if you don't mind ordering it is the Vivente Anatolia, which comes with Humpert Hornbars along with lots of other goodies (dynamo hub with lights, fenders, the best rear rack on the market, etc.).
Likes For jfoobar:
Old 09-19-20, 05:25 AM
a_d_a_m

Appreciate the insight, folks.

Originally Posted by Toadmeister
I, 6’4” 270 and test rode the Sutra LTD last year. Really liked it and the 1x11 drivetrain over the touring version your considering.

Ability to run 50mm wide tires is a BIG benefit for Clydesdales.

I thought the Stack and reach on the drop bars was a little long for me. Had I purchased the Sutra I would have used a riser and a shorter stems get it more comfortable.
That's close-ish to how my current bike is set up - 1x drivetrain, wider tires, and I'm already running a stem riser. I'm not sure the 3x drivetrain will get me much faster, but I have to believe it will. At the very least, it should make hills easier, and that's something I struggle with at my weight.

Originally Posted by jfoobar
One option there if you don't mind ordering it is the Vivente Anatolia, which comes with Humpert Hornbars along with lots of other goodies (dynamo hub with lights, fenders, the best rear rack on the market, etc.).
That Anatolia is a sharp bike, but the Sutra is already way more than I thought I'd ever consider spending on a bicycle!
Old 09-19-20, 08:27 AM
a_d_a_m

For comparison's sake, this is the bike I'm currently riding.

The basics:
1x drivetrain, Brooks B17, cruiser bar w/stem extender, mech. discs, 26x2.1 Continentals.

Part of me says "love the one you're with" but the other part of me really thinks I'll make more miles (and more enjoyably) on the Kona.
Old 09-19-20, 02:51 PM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
That Anatolia is a sharp bike, but the Sutra is already way more than I thought I'd ever consider spending on a bicycle!
Yeah, and to be clear I have no experience with them at all. I have not even seen one in person (to my knowledge). Alee Denham (CyclingAbout.com) mentions them glowingly in his most recent "best touring bikes to buy" video. Out of curiosity, I went hunting for reviews on them and those that have them (mostly Australians) seem to adore them. They also seem like a very good deal considering what you get for under $2000 USD plus another $200ish for shipping. The risk, obviously, is that you don't get to ride it first.

Personally, I just bought one of the new Surly Disc Truckers but have only done local rides on it so far.
Likes For jfoobar:
Old 09-19-20, 04:13 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
The Sutra was on my "want to buy" list. It's a very nice bike, I liked it more when it came with a chrome frame.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 09-19-20, 09:01 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Appreciate the insight, folks.

That's close-ish to how my current bike is set up - 1x drivetrain, wider tires, and I'm already running a stem riser. I'm not sure the 3x drivetrain will get me much faster, but I have to believe it will. At the very least, it should make hills easier, and that's something I struggle with at my weight.
[size=33px]!
[/size]

A question I’ve become fond of asking is, “would you rather be fast or would you rather be comfortable?”

If a 2x or 3X gets you the wide range And low gearing needed for touring, than that might be your ticket. Go to one of the online gear ratio calculators and find out what that gearing will provide.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 09-22-20, 05:22 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by Toadmeister
A question I’ve become fond of asking is, “would you rather be fast or would you rather be comfortable?”
Comfort, always! But a little extra speed sure would be nice.
Old 09-22-20, 09:53 AM
a_d_a_m

It helps to have a friend who owns a bike shop.

He offered to pre-order a Sutra for me with no obligation; the thinking is that if I test ride and do not like the bike, he will have no problem selling it.

So, I guess it's coming...sometime.