Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

fall = losing my mojo

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

fall = losing my mojo

Old 09-23-20, 04:37 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
fall = losing my mojo

days shorter, cooler just feels harder to motivate self to ride.
how do you cope ..
Old 09-23-20, 05:10 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I am slowly starting to transition back to my indoor trainer and Zwift. Not due to the cold yet but lack of sunlight when I get home from work. Outside on days off.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 09-23-20, 05:29 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I set what I call soft goals. Miles, hours, days, etc. I would like to reach, but if I don't, it's ok. Honestly, I usually do not need anything to motivate. I love riding my bikes, it is one of the best things in my life. Also, being comfortable on rides is more motivating to me than avg. speed, length or duration of a ride. Stopping for breaks for whatever reason, or no reason.
Old 09-23-20, 05:30 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Fall...or whenever....my Mojo is affected by weather. Too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy, etc. I'm a suck when it comes to riding conditions.
Fortunately, I don't mind riding my stationary bike. It's parked in front of a tv in the basement and allows me to catch up of some mind numbing shows.....
Old 09-23-20, 05:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I thought @thehammerdog had just taken a bad fall, causing him to back off on aggressive riding. That's happened to me in mountain biking. Now in my 60s, I'm not nearly as reckless as I was in my 40s.

As for autumn, it's my favorite time of year to ride. The air is cooler and significantly drier in the DC/Virginia area. That's a huge factor for my enjoyment. I love fall because the scenery gets transformed from lush green with its loamy scents and dull insect buzz to varied colors, cool breezes and the first whiff of leaves decaying.

Not so sure about mojo, but I hope that this helps the discussion. PG
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-23-20, 05:45 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I thought @thehammerdog had just taken a bad fall, causing him to back off on aggressive riding. That's happened to me in mountain biking. Now in my 60s, I'm not nearly as reckless as I was in my 40s.

As for autumn, it's my favorite time of year to ride. The air is cooler and significantly drier in the DC/Virginia area. That's a huge factor for my enjoyment. I love fall because the scenery gets transformed from lush green with its loamy scents and dull insect buzz to varied colors, cool breezes and the first whiff of leaves decaying.

Not so sure about mojo, but I hope that this helps the discussion. PG
I love the fall, and actually ride more. For winter, I like to switch bikes to something slower and hit the woods.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 09-23-20, 05:45 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
.... lack of sunlight when I get home from work.
Indeed! Already I am having to eat quickly as soon as I get home from work if I want time to ride for an hour afterward. This won't go on much longer.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-23-20, 07:59 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
how do you cope ..
feel the same
Old 09-23-20, 08:02 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I use my bike to commute. This at least keeps me motivated to do a minimum number of miles most days. The weather has to be really atrocious (I have a velomobile for snow and bad weather) to keep me from riding.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 09-23-20, 08:09 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
how do you cope ..
This is how I cope.

Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-23-20, 08:13 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
how do you cope ..
SERIOUSLY >>> moved from NJ to FL in 1986. Things were awesome until Prostate Cancer whacked me down in 2015 and treatment began with a bilateral orchiectomy. Believe me when I say that it took the snap out of my legs and poured molasses over my mojo.

A little PSA about making sure that y'all should keep tabs on your PSA.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 09-23-20, 08:18 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Yeah, I was just noticing that it was a month and a half since I switched back to only riding SS and I’m riding significantly longer rides and a bit faster, but I think the perfect riding temps and beautiful weather have a lot to do with it. Our trails are so pretty now that I just want to keep riding and ride every single day.

Riding SS mostly means not having to think about shifts and less dust/grime collected by the chain.

In winter, when everything is grey and brown (and sometimes white) and it’s cold, that’s when I will probably be content to get out, get in some decent work and get home before my fingers are numb.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-23-20, 08:25 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I set what I call soft goals. Miles, hours, days, etc. I would like to reach, but if I don't, it's ok. Honestly, I usually do not need anything to motivate. I love riding my bikes, it is one of the best things in my life. Also, being comfortable on rides is more motivating to me than avg. speed, length or duration of a ride. Stopping for breaks for whatever reason, or no reason.
I think I'm reaching this stage on a philosophical level. Riding has become more of an anti-depressant than it used to be. I enjoy it for the rhythm of the pedals, the sights, sounds, and smells around me. Different rides bring different sensory gratifications.
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 09-23-20, 08:53 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
how do you cope ..
depends where you are I suppose. We’re starting to see fall temps here in central NC - mid-50s in the morning, peaking ~70. Time for knickers and arm warmers. Perfect cycling weather. Helps that I’m working from home - I can get a ride in as soon as there’s enough light, and just work a little later in the evening

Last edited by Litespud; 09-23-20 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-23-20, 08:56 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I'm finding this plus the whole region having been incinerated isn't helping.
Old 09-23-20, 09:01 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I love the fall, and actually ride more. For winter, I like to switch bikes to something slower and hit the woods.
Same here. I'd rather ride in the fall, without the summer heat/humidity-whether road or trails.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 09-23-20, 09:12 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
how do you cope ..
I take shorter rides, as cooler weather takes more out of me fatigue-wise. Also, I tend more to gravel roads with less traffic, as the lower sun angle, more shadows on the road, more wind make it less safe to ride paved roads with lots of traffic. Also it's the time of year I stop thinking about speed/ training, and just enjoy being out in the blessedly bug- free fall air.
Old 09-23-20, 09:21 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
After all the extreme heat and still ongoing forest fires, I am looking forward to real fall weather but that does not arrive in So Cal until November if at all.
Old 09-23-20, 09:49 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
This is how I cope.

nice boat.....😀
Old 09-23-20, 10:02 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
how do you cope ..
There are a few factors that combine to motivate me to bike to work year-round, in all weather including snow.

I guess my main motivation is "smugness". Seriously. I may not be the fastest, the most stylish, or have the best and newest equipment, but I am riding when many others don't. I was missing too many days due to snow and ice in the winter, so five years ago I bought studded snow tires and I gained back all those "lost" winter days. I started to push my cold weather threshold down and I reclaimed even more days of riding. (I'm good down to 5F now).

Three years ago I experimented with DIY rain capes, fashioned one, that works, then another and now I ride on more rainy days, or days where it is likely to rain. ( I have always had adequate fenders on my commuter bikes.)

Then there's the "health" angle. I'm 58 and my daily 18 mile-round-trip ride keeps me healthy enough to enjoy life with better cardio, stamina and blood chemistry (like lower cholesterol). Riding also helps with my seasonal allergies...especially in winter. Sure, riding outdoors exposes me to grass, pollen and whatever (including smoke from fires), but after 15-20 minutes of riding my sinuses open up and drain, and it makes a positive difference.

Then there's the "endorphin factor". Riding just feels good! Okay, it's more than just endorphins, there's norepinephrine secretion, dopamine, and serotonin. All combine to give a pleasurable sensation, or "runner's high".

And I sleep better when I am cycling regularly.

And that ties into better mental health. Less depression, quiet time alone (alone with spoken word podcasts for me (one ear only). Freedom from stressful car-traffic (for the most part). And when there is stress and frustration in my life...mashing a bicycle pedal relieves it better than mashing a gas pedal.

Then there's the adventure and beauty factor. Fall colors, crisp cool air, pristine snow, not only traveling under my own power, but putting out enough heat to stay comfortable on my own. Riding home at night in the dark, during winter months I feel safer as I'm lit up from head to to and side to side. And on dark, quiet side streets I feel like a kid under the blankets with a flashlight.

Meeting the challenges of season and weather is just another hill to master.

Another big motivation for me was "The Year I Didn't Ride". In 2010 at 48 I suffered a bulging disk in my neck. I wasn't sure if I was going to ride again or not. Excruciating, unrelenting pain aside, the total physical inactivity brought all the things I enjoyed about cycling into focus through their absence. I gained weight, lost stamina, experienced sinus problems, became depressed, stressed and slept poorly. Getting back on the bike and getting in shape enough to ride to work took a few months, and reconquering the hills here in Colorado Springs took even longer, but I got back to where I was.

I guess that "fight" to get back has really been my main motivation over the last ten years. No one and nothing is going to keep me off the bike if I can help it...And as I approach my 60s I feel as if I am at least "cheating death" and old age, if not actually fighting back against them.

The motivational secret of biking to work is that you only have to have enough motivation to get dressed and ride 5 minutes. After that, if you don't feel like riding, it is more of a hassle to return home, change into your street clothes and drive, or take whatever transit you take to work. Not to mention the lost time. The same with returning home.

So those are my motivations for riding year-round in all weather...or perhaps the reasons to have me committed to an institution.

Everybody is different and you will have to find your motivation or motivating factors.

And if you don't ride in all seasons and weather conditions, that's okay, too. Most people don't.

Just ride your ride, and enjoy what you do.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 09-23-20, 10:28 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
nice boat.....😀
Thanks. Notice the name?
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-23-20, 11:38 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
how do you cope ..
I find someone to tell me to HTFU...
HTFU!! You're welcome.
Old 09-23-20, 11:47 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
going to be more aggressive this year during the fall season as I am picking up attire that should ideally help with the cold & moderate wetness. Once it starts snowing, I'll be rerouted indoors.
Old 09-23-20, 11:48 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've actually found that I want to get out more. Cooler weather in the mornings, yet I still sweat a bit. When it starts getting too cold I'll put my bike on my trainer and spin on it in the morning.
Old 09-23-20, 01:24 PM
Rhondito

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
This is my favorite time of year to ride - it makes my soul happy! After our brutal, sweltering summers in Mississippi, it's nice to be out in cooler temps and less humid air.
My favorite routes take me through roads canopied with huge oak trees and they're so pretty when the leaves change.
I do hate that it gets dark earlier but thankfully my work schedule allows me to get out with enough time to ride in the afternoons.
Likes For Rhondito:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.