Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tubeless tire riddled with thorns - when to replace?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 02:55 PM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Bikes: 2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

I'm new to tubeless tires and they were a life-saver on a recent ride I did out in goathead country. Along the ride I pulled out a few goatheads as I found them in my tires and they sealed up nicely.

However, now that I'm home, I thought I'd take some time to go over my tires for any stragglers. On my front tire in particular, I had around a dozen or so thorns embedded into the tire which I removed. Some of them sealed up quickly, others took a few minutes to seal and made a nice puddle of sealant on the floor until I started putting some rags down. My tires are GK SKs in 700x43.

I'm wondering at what point would you replace a tubeless tire that's riddled with (mostly) pinholes? I'm a bit nervous that the next time I top up sealant that once the tire deflates, my next inflation with the compressor is going to result in sealant shooting out of 10+ holes in the tire all at once. Or is the sealant more solid as a plug than I'm thinking? Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-23-20, 02:58 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I think you will be fine - as long as it is holding the same amount of air day to day, week to week.

Its a thin layer of latex. Its not as sensitive as lambskin, but you know...
Old 09-23-20, 05:58 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Where is goat head country close to PDX? East of the cascades? I dealt with goat heads in CA, but never in OR.

I’ll make sure I am set up with an extra shot of sealant when I follow your track.
Old 09-23-20, 07:19 PM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Where is goat head country close to PDX? East of the cascades? I dealt with goat heads in CA, but never in OR.

I’ll make sure I am set up with an extra shot of sealant when I follow your track.
Yeah, I was just East of The Dalles - rode the Deschutes River Trail. I also posted a couple of the ride photos in the Gravel Ride Pics thread.
Old 09-23-20, 07:34 PM
TrackSmart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about the thorns. I had THIS in my bike tire for at least 2-3 weeks before I realized it was embedded. I remember the ride where I lost about 15-20 PSI on the way home. Somehow I missed seeing the nail head in the dark of the garage when I looked over my tire that evening. It held air perfectly until I pulled out the nail. Then I used one of those "bacon strips" to seal the hole and called it good. I rode that tire for another ~1000 miles before retiring it for other reasons (i.e. failing to hold sealant in the sidewalls after ~2000 miles, tread was still not fully worn out). My advice: Use some tire plugs if any of the holes are not reliably sealing after removing the thorns. And if you are not carrying one, get a tire plug tool. I use the basic one from Genuine Innovations, which cost about $7 and weighs about 5 grams including the tool, though there are fancier options out there.

Likes For TrackSmart:
Old 09-23-20, 08:34 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
What TrackSmart said.
Old 09-23-20, 09:34 PM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Thanks for the advice. I have a Stan's DART tool for larger punctures, but these are definitely not big enough to warrant that. I guess I was just a bit apprehensive when a few of the thorns removals would take 3+ minutes to seal (I'd remove the thorn, then rotate the wheel so the hole was at the bottom to ensure the most sealant was available).

Here's a photo of most of the little buggers. My tire is holding air well now, will keep an eye on it.

Old 09-25-20, 10:40 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Don't use a compressor and keep them aired up. That should take care of that.