Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Any tips on assembling a Poseiden X

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 07:17 AM
SkipII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm grabbing one of these, hopefully delivered later this month. I am planning to assemble it myself, even though my family is looking at me warily and muttering something about taking it to a bike shop.

I'm fairly handy in the garage, having rebuilt three cars and two motorcycles, but as a newbie to biking I thought I would ask if there are any things I should be aware of (or wary of!) as I unpack this thing and test my chops at bicycle assembly. I already know I will take the wheels to a bike shop to get trued up but everything else seems fairly straightforward.

As well, are there any simple, affordable mods that are worth making out of the gate? I'm still learning all the new terminology and aftermarket brands, but I am also going to assemble a wish list.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by SkipII; 09-30-20 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-30-20, 09:04 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
it should be no different from assembling any other bike, so general assembly guides should tell you everything you need to know. taking it to a shop will cost you $100 or more (which is fair, considering it's over an hour of labor to do it right), and will probably take several weeks because bike shops are swamped with labor right now. are you buying a complete bike from them, or assembling a bare frame? complete bikes usually come in the box 90% assembled, so you just need to attach some things and tune the brakes and shifting the same way you'd do for any other bicycle.
Old 09-30-20, 09:08 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Poseidon went to the trouble to produce several assembly videos for their bikes: https://www.poseidonbike.com/pages/installationvideo
watch the video that is relevant to your bike and post whatever specific questions you have that were not answered in that video.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 09-30-20, 10:30 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I've never heard of this bike before, but glancing at the video linked above it looks pretty straightforward. You basically need to attach the seat, handlebars, stem and wheels. This should be pretty straightforward for you, especially if you've done automotive work before.

I'd be surprised if you need to get the wheels trued. They're likely fine out of the box. I've had 2 bikes and 3 wheelsets shipped to me over the last 10 years and none of them needed to be trued, but stuff can get banged around during shipping so good to check.
Old 09-30-20, 10:46 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

with experience assembling hundreds of new bikes out of the box: wheels are usually true, but the spoke tension has been been "de-stressed" on new wheels. I recommend giving the spoke tension a touch-up after the first few rides, or preempt all that by stress-relieving the wheel before you take it out on the road (or trail).
Old 09-30-20, 12:27 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Setting up the mech disc brakes will likely require a bit of fiddling. Budget your time accordingly.
Old 09-30-20, 09:29 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
it should be no different from assembling any other bike, so general assembly guides should tell you everything you need to know. taking it to a shop will cost you $100 or more (which is fair, considering it's over an hour of labor to do it right), and will probably take several weeks because bike shops are swamped with labor right now. are you buying a complete bike from them, or assembling a bare frame? complete bikes usually come in the box 90% assembled, so you just need to attach some things and tune the brakes and shifting the same way you'd do for any other bicycle.
Shops around here charge $60 and are running about a week to get most things done. You get it done correctly the first time and a decent shop will check the common small stuff you may not realize are wrong out of the box like a loose headset, overtightened wheel bearings and poorly seared tire beads.
Old 10-01-20, 11:46 AM
SkipII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Easy peasy

Thanks, all. Yes, there is a video but I just wasn't sure if there was anything tricky about the dropped bar,. since the video is for straight bar.
Old 10-02-20, 06:47 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

there's nothing particularly different about fitting a drop bar on a new bicycle. install bar on fork, tighten bolts evenly to 5-6Nm.

fitting a bike wit a drop bar is another story, and should be the topic of another thread in the Fitting Your Bike forum.
Old 10-02-20, 08:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by SkipII
Thanks, all. Yes, there is a video but I just wasn't sure if there was anything tricky about the dropped bar,. since the video is for straight bar.
tops of the bar should be level with the ground. the hoods of the brake levers should be level with the tops of the bars.

Dont go full hobo and crank the bars up to the sky. It renders the brake levers useless in the drops, makes for some extreme wrist angles when riding the hoods, and simply looks bad. If you need the tops of the bars higher, raise the stem on the steerer. If you need the tops of the bars even higher, get a stem that angles up.
It will take a few days for the new stem to arrive, but you will have a bike set up properly in the end.
Likes For mstateglfr: