Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seat Post Issues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Seat Post Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 10:45 AM
Bikeman1928

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat Post Issues

hey guys we have an issue We have an OCC Schwinn stingray bike with no original seat, well we have a large regular bike set that looks good for the frame size wise but the issue is the Regular sized seat posts are too small for the seat tube but with the tightening clamp thingy being so far down the frame i'm not sure a shim will work any advice would be welcome, also considered contacting a local blacksmith to see if he could possibly widen an already existing tube as it seems to need to be half again as large to fit.
Old 09-30-20, 11:34 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
You can find used seat posts for the Schwinn Stingray on Ebay and other places. Google. There are also reproductions made for it. Here is one such seat post: https://luxlow.com/products-page/sea...ser-bike-size/

Here is another great source...
Let Me Google That
Old 09-30-20, 12:49 PM
Bikeman1928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I 'm not sure I made what I'm trying to fix clear enough I'm not talking about a Vintage stingray I'm talking about the Stingray Orange County Chopper Bikes produced in the early 2000's it has a smaller (20IN) fat wheel on the back and a larger regular (24in) wheel on the front and resembles a motor cycle we have a train load of seat posts but their all too small and the clamp is located under the cross bar that runs up to the fork.

it looks similar to a motor cycle and came with a bucket almost Banana type seat which we didn't get with the bike, instead we have a large regular bike seat that will work however the Seat posts we have about twenty in all are all to small to fit in the frame properly.

Thank you though If i were looking for a vinatge stingray piece that would have helped a bunch.
Old 09-30-20, 12:58 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The fact that you do not have the correct size seatpost means that you have to measure what size you need. Bike shops have a tool designed to measure the inside diameter of the seat tube. With this information you will be able to search for the correct size seatpost. You have to have the correct size so that the post will be properly supported by the frame where it passes through the top tube
Old 09-30-20, 01:01 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
There is no such thing as a "regular size" seat post. The most common sizes vary from about 25.4mm up to 34.9mm in .2mm increments. Measure the internal diameter of the seat tube and buy the correct size post.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 09-30-20, 01:57 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
measure the inside of the seatpost accurately and precisely. the only seatpost that will fit is the size that matches the inside of your seat tube within 0.1mm. there's very little wiggle room there. if it's too small by 0.1 mm, you won't be able to clamp it down. if it's too big by 0.1mm, you'll have to hammer it in and it will be a giant PITA to pull back out when you need to.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 09-30-20, 02:55 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts

Any bike shop will have one of these. Just drop it in the seat tube and look at the measurement. No blacksmith needed!
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-30-20, 03:55 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I have a bunch of seat posts in my garage. Where do you live?
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 09-30-20, 04:57 PM
Bikeman1928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we are the local bike shop LOL we live in a rural area where bicycles are seen as children's toys mostly the nearest bike shop is 200 mi away in Independence Mo.
Old 09-30-20, 04:58 PM
Bikeman1928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
North central MO.
Old 09-30-20, 05:01 PM
Bikeman1928

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we have seat posts for Most bikes mountain bikes racing bikes regular cruiser's three speeds and children's shingle speed bikes tehri all similar in size this what i meant by regular size this is easily half again as big as our largest post..
Old 09-30-20, 09:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
As the OP might be understanding seat post "correct" size is not a rigid formula of spec quantity. When a manufacturer (and that's not the brand on the frame more often these days) specs a bike they do it with whatever fits their needs and not what the after market, the LBS or the consumer has available. Sure with bike that are sold within the LBS channels more specs are published, and held to... But the masses of bikes sold through non LBS channels are not constrained by the feedback system of your LBS/brand dealer relationship.

When dealing with a crushed down clamping section pf the frame the first thing is to reestablish the clamp area to round and OEM size, or second to not disturb a post's fit within the seat tube below the clamp. Untill this is done any "measurement" is mere speculation. I'll add that a sizing tool with many diameter steps is fine for the amount the step fits within. Inn other words for the top , aprox, half inch but worthless for the rest of the post's fit. They are good for driving off the scourges of the earth though (borrowing a funny from the UBT catalog years ago). Andy