Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anti Rust Treated chains any good ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-20, 12:30 PM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Is this type of chain worth the extra cost vs just a good lube and maintenance ? I see manufacturers offer them but not much info on them :
Old 10-10-20, 03:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I wouldn't pay extra for one. But I'm okay with my chain all gunked up with mess too. So I may not be a good model for your question.

Rust don't bother me either on the chain. If they last two or three years I'm happy, four to five years and I'm ecstatic. At least until I realize that probably means I didn't ride very much.
Old 10-10-20, 03:33 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
I've typically done a quality stainless/nickel chain, such as some models of the Wipperman Connex line (ie, the 11SX 11spd chain: click).

So long as frequent cleaning and good lube is done, I've never had issues with rusting, on a good-quality chain like this. Even with a couple of bikes having been stored in an outdoors-facing shed with, um, less than perfect sealing on the wall slats. Washing, drying, waxing the frame/bits, frequent cleaning and lubrication of the chain ... even in that sort of environment, the chain's hard to make a mess of. At least, in my experience.
Likes For Clyde1820: