Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

DL-1 wannabes from the bike share world (Social Bicycles)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 11:15 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts

This is not entirely C&V, but I always thought the Social Bicycles (SoBi) 3.0 (and later 3.5) models were heavily inspired by the Raleigh DL-1 and other loop frames of the early 20th century.

Just got these two donated from Boise GreenBike (one is from the Topeka Metro system) to the Bike Share Museum. I'll be putting up an article about them on the BSM site, but thought I'd share a few pictures. Nexus 3 rear hubs, Shimano rollers front and back. The Boise example is on record as having traveled 3,219.55 miles over 1,235 rentals since it was deployed in 2015.

The frame angles are a lot closer to a Raleigh Sports than the super-relaxed geometry of the DL-1, but the general spirit is there. 3-speed with an enclosed drivetrain (of a kind), and hub brakes. More or less what the DL-1 set out to do when equipped with a chaincase and rod-operated drum brakes.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-25-20 at 11:23 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 10-26-20, 10:26 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
cudak888 I agree with the DL1 influence. In this case, it is the loop frame or Ladies model. Where was the bike designed? I think anyone that takes on a share bike design project would have about the same design goals as when Raleigh was designing their DL1. So whether knowingly being inspired by the DL1 or just facing similar outputs, there are similarities.

One thing that I always wondered about bike share bike design is that I know they want to use parts that are not common and therefore vulnerable to theft and have low or no maintenance. On these bikes, they went with the shaft drive. It is a low maintenance design also precludes the possibility of the chain falling off. However, the cost of this design must be quite high. I like how they paired it with a 3 speed hub.

It looks like the frame is aluminum, and the handlebars/basket is steel. It's odd how things have changed. It used to be that the frame was steel and the handlebars were aluminum. I know they have their reasons. This could make a nice commuter bike if you don't have to ride too long. I guess that is the point.

It must have no flat tires. It was the one thing about the bike share bikes (in my case it was Lime) that made it difficult to ride for an hour or more. And the straight fork. ... And cheap seat. I know they have to put those solid rubber tires on them, but it makes me wonder how much better the bike would be if it were sold to me and I put good old fashioned pneumatic tires on it. It might make it enjoyable.

I'll have to check out your Bike Share Museum website to get more info.
Old 10-26-20, 11:10 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
cudak888 I agree with the DL1 influence. In this case, it is the loop frame or Ladies model. Where was the bike designed? I think anyone that takes on a share bike design project would have about the same design goals as when Raleigh was designing their DL1. So whether knowingly being inspired by the DL1 or just facing similar outputs, there are similarities.
Built in China, but designed entirely here in the US by the Social Bicycles team. The original team were a bunch of tech and bike nerds too - someone must have been into DL1's or Dutch commuters.

One thing that I always wondered about bike share bike design is that I know they want to use parts that are not common and therefore vulnerable to theft and have low or no maintenance. On these bikes, they went with the shaft drive. It is a low maintenance design also precludes the possibility of the chain falling off. However, the cost of this design must be quite high. I like how they paired it with a 3 speed hub.
I'm still not sure who made this particular shaft drive. The first few generations of Arcade-produced (France) CitiBike Miami share bikes use the same shaft drive with the huge, integrated BB assembly. CitiBike Miami's new #4000 series deviates though, as they're the first with chain drive.

It looks like the frame is aluminum, and the handlebars/basket is steel. It's odd how things have changed. It used to be that the frame was steel and the handlebars were aluminum. I know they have their reasons. This could make a nice commuter bike if you don't have to ride too long. I guess that is the point.
The basket and handlebar assembly is aluminum too. The only steel things on them are the forks. Had to cold-set one of the dropouts on the Boise bike due to rough handling in transit. No problem at all.

It must have no flat tires. It was the one thing about the bike share bikes (in my case it was Lime) that made it difficult to ride for an hour or more. And the straight fork. ... And cheap seat. I know they have to put those solid rubber tires on them, but it makes me wonder how much better the bike would be if it were sold to me and I put good old fashioned pneumatic tires on it. It might make it enjoyable.
The SoBis have conventional Kenda tires and tubes; none of the SoBi products ever ran solid tires. They ride just as good as any modern bike shop 3-speed; arguably better as they don't skimp on stem height. The Nexus roller brakes on both are a bit rough, but they're in need of a flush and re-grease. It's the only place where I'd prefer to see a disc (in front, at least), and once SoBi became JUMP, they did exactly that with their pedal assist 5.5 model.

Limes are their own curious beasts. First off, what looks like a straight fork is immensely raked (and 3+ pounds!), so they're not happy at low speed - but they have a ridiculous 28t front chainring, spec'ed regardless of whether the bike is a singlespeed, Nexus 3, or Nexus 8, which means you're always going slow and fighting the front end. I'm not that fussed about the solid tires as much as I am the band brakes. The slightest bit of rub from one of those bands makes riding a chore, and it's really difficult to get them not to rub while still providing good braking force.

However, I've also rebuilt a Lime using a wheelset and fork from a third-gen Spin. Drum brake up front and a roller in back, less rake in the fork. Made a huge difference. Some good tires would have made it even better.

I've put pneumatic tires on a second-gen Spin (which, unlike most share bikes, uses the English EA3 26x1-3/8" wheel size). Rides beautifully. Just had to drill the rims.

At any rate, the SoBi docked hybrids (they're not purely dockless as SoBi intended) like these 3.0s are considerably nicer and more carefully designed than most of the build-them-quick dockless machines. Also the only shared bike that I've come across so far with a threadless, sealed-bearing headset, which I'd argue is a major reliability benefit.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-26-20 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-27-20, 05:53 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Kurt, those shaft driven transmissions have always fascinated me. I've never been able to look at one closely. After the pandemic and on my next visit to Miami, I look forward to seeing and hopefully riding one as you describe all the inner magic. The ones on these Bike-Share bikes look beefy enough to survive a nuclear blast with no ill effects.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-27-20, 11:24 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Kurt, those shaft driven transmissions have always fascinated me. I've never been able to look at one closely. After the pandemic and on my next visit to Miami, I look forward to seeing and hopefully riding one as you describe all the inner magic. The ones on these Bike-Share bikes look beefy enough to survive a nuclear blast with no ill effects.
The roller brakes on both need to be serviced, so I should see the mount on the hub soon. Pretty sure the hub-to-shaft are simply angled gears - I've seen the hub-mounted gear on a wheel at one of the local shops.

Not sure I want to disassemble the shaft drive without a manual for it though. I'd rather not have to ring up CitiBike for parts

-Kurt

Old 10-27-20, 09:56 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Those look like the same model the bike share by me ( CDPHP Cycle! ) uses.

One of the group rides in the summer months in the area is a time trial, I had suggested everyone use these instead of multi-$$$ carbon fiber rocketships.

The consensus was everyone would need to REALLY get beered up first.
Old 10-28-20, 12:03 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by RandolphCarter
Those look like the same model the bike share by me ( CDPHP Cycle! ) uses.

One of the group rides in the summer months in the area is a time trial, I had suggested everyone use these instead of multi-$$$ carbon fiber rocketships.

The consensus was everyone would need to REALLY get beered up first.
CDPHP uses the slightly different 3.5 model (biggest external difference is the magnet on the right hand seatstay), but they're more or less the same.

It'd be both fantastic and hilarious to see a one-make time trial with these. Bicycle racing needs more humor like that.

-Kurt

Old 10-28-20, 06:10 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I ride the NYC Citibikes all the time. Sturmey Archer, Shimano, NuVinci, they're all good but a well adjusted NuVinci is a blast. I'd participate in a lunchtime race around Central Park if anyone's up for that.
Old 10-28-20, 06:40 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I'm still not sure who made this particular shaft drive. The first few generations of Arcade-produced (France) CitiBike Miami share bikes use the same shaft drive with the huge, integrated BB assembly. CitiBike Miami's new #4000 series deviates though, as they're the first with chain drive.
After the title description this had to be you.

As for the shaft drive, Brik Bikes looks like they used the same one. I have also found a technical description in Dutch about the technology but no link to the manufacturer of said drive shafts.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 10-31-20, 11:09 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

FYI, the Bike Share Museum story abut these two bikes are up, for those curious: https://bikesharemuseum.com/getting-social-bicycles/

The main profile page for each bike has yet to be created; I'll link them up when they've been posted.

Originally Posted by JaccoW
After the title description this had to be you.

As for the shaft drive, Brik Bikes looks like they used the same one. I have also found a technical description in Dutch about the technology but no link to the manufacturer of said drive shafts.
Going to look through this later tonight. Thanks, Jacco!

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888: