Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Well crap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 08:33 PM
Imabmwnut

Bikes: Giant Roam 3 Kona Esatto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well crap!

Hey folks. My name is Layton and I've been watching and doing a little posting on here for a bit now. Last October I had a Leiomayosarcoma removed from my colon. This type of cancer is very rare and very aggressive. I also had a small spot on the upper lobe of my left lung. I was referred to MD Anderson in Houston. 3 weeks ago we did a lung biopsy and it and the 5 lymph nodes were positive for Adenocarcinoma. Lung Cancer. The "Good news" it isn't the Leiomayosarcoma. We will return to Houston on the 8th of July to see a radiologist and an oncologist. I'm 22 days from being eligible to retire. I'm pretty close to having my house paid for. During all of the testing I found out that other than the tumor I'm in good health. So that is a plus as far as the chemo and radiation goes. My wife and I rode the Katy trail in May and we just bought new mountain bikes. I'm not looking for sympathy. Just a little good vibes,prayers,and support. I'm kinda lost and don't quite know what to do with myself. Thank you if you took the time to read this. Layton.
Old 06-28-16, 08:41 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One day at a time, one step at a time. Get rid of these tumors. Retire. Look around. Ride your bike. Look around some more. Things will start falling into place.

Get well first!

PS: I live in Houston. Drop me a PM if you'd like a change of scenery, even to go out for a cup of coffee. You need 50 posts to send PMs but you are nearly there.
Old 06-28-16, 09:16 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Cancer sucks. I know this all too well. I thought of the treatments as being like climbing a hill. Just keep plugging away and eventually you're over the top and enjoying the downhill.
Old 06-28-16, 09:21 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
A few good vibes heading your way from the Midwest. Hang in there. Ride when you can.
Old 06-28-16, 10:23 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Good Luck! Know thst well crap feeling too well. I had cancer 12 years ago and afterwards got back into biking after a long hiatus. I only had surgery and radiation but the latter was tough because it was in my throat. But now I am commuting over 30 mi round trip and doing longer weekend rides. Hope you have equal success and a quick recovery.

Best wishes
Old 06-28-16, 11:04 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Best wishes for an effective treatment!
Old 06-28-16, 11:33 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
Thoughts, prayers, vibes coming your way.
Old 06-29-16, 04:20 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prayers and i am sure no one on fifty plus will mind anytime you want to post about your illness and just vent.
Old 06-29-16, 05:38 AM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Everyone at the Mag Outpost is sending you all the good vibes and well wishes we have for successful treatment, and an a long and enjoyable retirement.

If it helps to know, my dad and his next door neighbor went through a very similar situation to yours. They both fished together for years after retirement. It was almost comical for a long time. I'd call home and ask where Dad was, the answer was almost always the same.
Old 06-29-16, 05:43 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm sure it all sounds scary but keep a positive attitude, do what the docs tell you, and ride your bike.
When you're feeling down, read my signature.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-29-16, 08:58 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Keep a positive attitude. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way. We're dealing with a cancer situation in our immediate family as well. Hope things go well for you.
Old 06-29-16, 09:17 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Hang in there Layton. It sounds like you have a great medical staff on your team so that's great. Just keep focusing on the future.
Old 06-29-16, 07:54 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Pulling for you Layton.

I dealt with early onset Chronic Leukemia spring of 2015, but the illness and treatments played with my head for 2 years. I got some riding done, but way off my usual yearly. Modern medicine is just that and there are better treatments for most everything now, and getting better. Find and believe in your doctors and know that you can survive.

I'm back at swimming these past 8 mos. as well as riding this year better then the past 10 and it's all my attitude that I'm in a sort of remission and need to make use of the time. And feeling great. It can happen.

One thing I learned while undergoing my monthly treatments was that EVERYTHING takes a back seat to that. Work and riding. I was trying to stay "normal" and get in some mt. and road riding and with one stupid fall, cracked a kneecap 2 days before treatment#3 of 6. My Doc kind of yelled at me and said "you end up in the hospital and you get to reset the clock and start all over again, you want that ." It put things in perspective.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-30-16 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-29-16, 09:10 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Souse and I are both cancer survivors.
She's had breast cancer, carcinoma on the face, leg and back.
I had prostate cancer.
At ages 83/81 we still ride tandem several times a week, plus I get out another several days a week on my single bike.
Hang in there . . . grown' old is not for sissies!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image1.jpg (98.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-29-16, 09:52 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Kind of depends on the particular type of cancer and the treatment plan. I told my doctors during my treatments that I intended to ride my age in miles on my 53rd birthday which came after my intensive chemotherapy and a few weeks into my radiation treatments for my throat cancer. A few weeks later the pain was so intense and I was so weak from weight loss that I probably couldn't have done the ride, but with my Dr.'s concerned blessings, collaboration with my nutritionist, support from my family and friends and hard headed determination on my part, I rode a moderately hilly 54 miles (one to grow on).
Old 06-30-16, 05:57 AM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Prays and good vibes headed your way!

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 06-30-16, 08:16 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
I've not had cancer (yet), but my wife did. I did all the research, planning, and support.

A great resource for information and support for virtually all kinds of cancer:

www.acor.org

Check it out and join an email list.

Last edited by Biker395; 06-30-16 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-30-16, 08:23 AM
SA_Brak

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sucks, here's to a speedy recovery! Best wishes.
Old 06-30-16, 09:36 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Best of luck to you, Layton. That's a tough diagnosis.

Look into the drug Tarceva. It works for some people who have a particular genetic make-up, known as the EGFR mutation, of their lung cancer. Non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) with EGFR is a genetically distinct form of lung cancer. It's usually found when tested for in patients who have never smoked, patients with adenocarcinoma, people of Asian origin and females - but not always. That was the case with my wife, who had three of the four attributes.

In fact, make sure you're tested for your specific type of cancer. There are new drugs and treatments all the time. When you know all about your cancer, research (and ask about) what treatments are available. In other words, be prepared to be an advocate for yourself.

One more thing. Always ask your wife or a friend to accompany you to each and every meeting with your doctors. Ask them to take notes or to record the session. A friend would be best. Why? You and perhaps your wife are not going to hear what your doctor tells you the same way someone else will. Your thinking is going to possibly be clouded for a while and you may not remember exactly what a doctor tells you. It's best to have someone else to also make note of what's said by the people guiding your treatment.
Old 06-30-16, 05:30 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Imabmwnut: Wishing you the very best--stay positive!
Health is everything!
Old 06-30-16, 05:44 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist

One more thing. Always ask your wife or a friend to accompany you to each and every meeting with your doctors. Ask them to take notes or to record the session. A friend would be best. Why? You and perhaps your wife are not going to hear what your doctor tells you the same way someone else will. Your thinking is going to possibly be clouded for a while and you may not remember exactly what a doctor tells you. It's best to have someone else to also make note of what's said by the people guiding your treatment.
Really, really good advice.

Its easy to get wrapped up in the emotional aspect of the disease and diagnosis and not comprehend what the doctor is telling you. I know this well. Having somebody who can listen with less emotional involvement is really helpful as you can ask afterwards, questions you wish you had asked when you were sitting there in the doctors office.

As well, do not trust some of what you read on the internet. It's often times dated material and you have no way to verify the accuracy. Once you find a good and trusting doctor ask then where to find additional information. They will know (or should know) whats current and applicable.

And thoughts are with you.
Old 06-30-16, 07:37 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Layton, we will offer up prayers for you. Prior to my retirement, I rode quite a few road miles in NWA. It's a beautiful place. My wife is a cancer survivor for a little over 5 years, no problems. I just met a new cycling friend who goes to MD Anderson once every three weeks for chemo. We've ridden together three times so far. He's a good cyclist and is doing well.
Old 06-30-16, 08:05 PM
Imabmwnut

Bikes: Giant Roam 3 Kona Esatto

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your warm replies. I was having some anxiety problems Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday and today were better.gonna skydive and ride the bicycles this weekend. Thanks again.
Old 06-30-16, 08:40 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
'Positive Waves', Baby!

Yeah, what can I say -- I'm an oddball...

Oh, and a cancer survivor!!

Old 06-30-16, 11:13 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Imabmwnut
gonna skydive and ride the bicycles this weekend. Thanks again.

That's the ticket!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.