Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding at the Grand Canyon?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 06:39 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have no idea what's the most appropriate subforum for this but here goes nothing! Long story short, on the way to a conference, we're thinking of stopping by the Grand Canyon for a few days, having never been there. We'll have our folding bikes packed in suitcases for some riding at our final destination but wonder about possibly riding in or around the GC. Anybody have good info on this? We'd be going during the last few days of July. TIA.

Oh, BTW, what we had in mind was to rent a car and car camp, IIRC, at the "South Rim" because the "North Rim" camping situation isn't right for last-minute plans (i.e. it's all booked).
Old 06-26-06, 01:31 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check with the park service. Also check about forest closures due to wildfires. There was a funny story about some guys who rode their Mt. bikes into the canyon when the govt. had a "shut down". They did not count on the fact that the rangers at the bottom could not get out. Got arrested & lost all their expensive bikes.
Old 06-26-06, 02:24 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer to camp in the S. Kaibab Nat'l Forest just outside the park on the south side. It's free and almost a "camp anywhere" situation. Once you cross the nat'l park boundary, it gets much more complicated. For camping short notice in the park, go to the back country office to see what they have available. There are some great places to go inside the park that aren't always used, but it won't be the Bright Angel Campground, for sure. July isn't exactly the greatest time to hike the canyon, but it'll still be packed.
Old 06-26-06, 03:31 PM
SA_Brak

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get all the information on camping at this link: Grand Canyon Camping
I checked a random date at the end of July and there were reservable sites available. But if you want a reservation make one soon. The Back Country sites inside the park are for backpackers and I don't believe that is what you are interested in. You won't be able to bike to them. Also notice that there are non-reservable sites so you can always check it out and if full you can backtrack and try 10-X just outside the park.

All the paved roads are open to bikes. As a matter of fact, the Hermits Road is not open to traffic other than shuttles so this would be a great way to see the canyon. With all the congestion in the park, a bike is a great way to get around.
Old 06-26-06, 07:58 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
As I recall, no wheeled vehicles (including bikes) are permitted below the rim of the Grand Canyon. Foot travel only except for mules allowed on the Bright Angel trail. There are mountain bike trails on the north side of the Grand Canyon in the national forest.

You could certainly ride your folding bikes on the road along the south rim, though traffic may be pretty heavy.

You might check the National Park web site www.nps.gov for other options.
Old 06-26-06, 09:12 PM
Pedal Wench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The road out to Hermit's is just open for shuttles, bikes, and cars that have overnight permits to park at Hermit's Rest, so it would be a great road to bike on, and the views are perhaps the best in the park. And, the hike down Hermit's trail is one of my favorites - very few people compared to the crowds on the 'corridor' trails, especially Bright Angel. That being said, if you only have time for one hike, the one down South Kaibab to Cedar Ridge is the one to do. Beware - there is NO water on this trail, and it will be brutally hot, because in order to get those spectacular views, there is practically no shade either. You can bike out to the trailhead, which is at Yaki Point. www.kaibab.org is another great resource for info.

Since you've never been there, I'll add one more bit of advice -- allow twice as long to hike out as you take to hike in, especially if you have no experience with desert or canyon hiking.
Old 06-26-06, 09:43 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench
The road out to Hermit's is just open for shuttles, bikes, and cars that have overnight permits to park at Hermit's Rest, so it would be a great road to bike on, and the views are perhaps the best in the park. And, the hike down Hermit's trail is one of my favorites - very few people compared to the crowds on the 'corridor' trails, especially Bright Angel. That being said, if you only have time for one hike, the one down South Kaibab to Cedar Ridge is the one to do. Beware - there is NO water on this trail, and it will be brutally hot, because in order to get those spectacular views, there is practically no shade either. You can bike out to the trailhead, which is at Yaki Point. www.kaibab.org is another great resource for info.

Since you've never been there, I'll add one more bit of advice -- allow twice as long to hike out as you take to hike in, especially if you have no experience with desert or canyon hiking.
This is all great advice. The only trailhead I've ever used several times at GC south is in fact Hermits trail - all five times starting in Feb/Mar with snow and later enjoying low-80s at the bottom But its not this cool in the summer of course, so beware the further down you go the hotter and the later in the day the hotter, so hiking up in the afternoon could be, as pedal wrech says, brutal in the summer.

Also some of the rim trails are pleasant if you don't want to walk down toward the heat, you can't ride on them, but they make for a nice stroll.

There could be afternoon thunderstorms this time of year thru Aug. too. Beware of lighting strikes on the rim, quite common.

I think it would be a great pleasure to ride on the west road to hermits and back, even a few times, nice rolling hills, fanstastic views. The road east of course allows private cars, but in the (off seasons) I've been there have not been crazy busy - the road in and the areas around the parking is always packed though.

Al
Old 06-28-06, 08:39 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info! As it turns out, the advice about wildfire closings was accurate: the North Rim is closed because of a fire. We were going to the South Rim anyway, but still, go figure.

I don't do too well in the humid heat. I wonder how I'd do in the drier heat of the canyon? I will be cautious anyway (I'll have 170oz water in Camelbak bladders to carry with me...).
Old 06-28-06, 09:23 AM
O-Town

Bikes: Seven Axiom Steel, Surly LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget the sun tan lotion.

The heat in the desert is MUCH different than the East Coast heat/humidity. You tend to loose water much faster when it is dry and hot. A Camelbak and two water bottles on any ride over an hour is a good idea. You may not use it all but better to be safe than sorry.

Have fun!
Old 06-28-06, 09:41 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I have these little Coppertone sport bottles of sunscreen that clip to my Camelbak or biking backpack or hiking backpack via caribiner. Very handy for long rides or hikes.
Old 06-28-06, 04:01 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by O-Town
The heat in the desert is MUCH different than the East Coast heat/humidity.
Right now there are daily thunderstorms on the south rim which has kept the temp 5-10deg cooler (80-90), but the humidity in the 75%+ range.

Al
Old 07-02-06, 01:32 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An update, here. We've changed plans and decided it was too complicated to make a GC trip a side-trip to our current plans. However, we're thinking of going to the GC instead in October for an extended Columbus Day weekend. It looks like the cost will not be much different (it might even be cheaper to go in Oct). How does the BF advice change given our change of plans? Regardless, we may not even bring bikes, because the possibility of hiking from one end to the other is more realistic now (i.e. we might be able to get the right permits).
Old 07-02-06, 01:46 PM
Pedal Wench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OCtober is an incredible time for the GC! Cooler in the inner gorge, and not much snow yet on the North Rim. When making your plans, though, check on when they plan to close the North Rim for the winter. If you need help planning a rim-to-rim, let me know. I just finished a rim-to-rim-to-rim a few weeks ago! Get your permit application submitted now!