Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Sepp Kuss, the man

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-23, 04:50 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Sepp Kuss, the man

Sepp Kuss is "the man"

I know that he gets plenty of attention, but I have to say that he is even with all that one of the most underrated riders in the pro peloton. I think that this is mostly because he seems to mostly enjoy the status of being a helper rather than of being a team leader which he could easily do
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-31-23, 06:48 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
NBC/Peacock probably not happy he didn't take the red today.

I think he held back on purpose at the end so he wouldn't take the red jersey to keep pressure off Jumbo-Visma for now.
Old 08-31-23, 11:32 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake

I think he held back on purpose at the end so he wouldn't take the red jersey to keep pressure off Jumbo-Visma for now.
That would not surprise me. He is the ultimate team player
Old 09-01-23, 05:09 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Time for GC Kuss! He was smiling and smoothly going to the finish line, Lenny Martinez really dug in after Kuss to get the leader jersey! Can't believe he has almost three minutes over the majority of the field. More mountains this weekend let's see if Martinez can hold that 8 second lead. Soler could try to catch red but he's 43 seconds back from Sepp!
Old 09-01-23, 08:58 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Time for GC Kuss! He was smiling and smoothly going to the finish line, Lenny Martinez really dug in after Kuss to get the leader jersey! Can't believe he has almost three minutes over the majority of the field. More mountains this weekend let's see if Martinez can hold that 8 second lead. Soler could try to catch red but he's 43 seconds back from Sepp!
Color me doubtful. Do we know how he would do in the ITT? His times generally aren't so great, but riding as a domestique, I'm not sure he's ever giving 100% on them.
Old 09-01-23, 09:37 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
If he gets the fire in his belly, he can ride. Remember the Tour of Utah? He rode strong there in conditions that weren't strictly climber (as well as soaring when it was!) It will probably take some real convincing by the J-V staff that he needs to do that so we will see.

I think staying out of the red as long as possible is probably his/JV's best move,
Old 09-01-23, 11:31 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Jumbo Visma have been telegraphing this move for a while, I think. Note Roglic's pre-race comment that 'if you want to win the Vuelta, you take Sepp Kuss.' Obviously we can't know the true dynamics within the team, but they really seem to have an ethos of sharing success and Kuss has more than earned his share of the spotlight.

It's a regular part of Jumbo's strategy to put a satellite rider in the break, often Van Aert, but yesterday it was half the squad, and Kuss never took a pull, at least as far as I saw. Not really anything any other team could have done about it either.

The TV coverage yesterday was very disappointing for what it did not show: not only the breakaway's various formations, but apparently the first break included Thomas De Gendt, one of my favorite riders!

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 09-01-23 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-01-23, 12:45 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Hopefully he gets a run for the win supported by the team, or as one of several prongs, at Liege or Il Lombardia. Or some of the Ardennes classics, etc.

If J-V sweeps this year he's a legend.

There's a lot of ground between climbing super domestique and GC rider. Let's be giddy over celebrating his results and impact, not about re-labeling him to some [mis-?] perceived aspiration.
Old 09-01-23, 04:01 PM
GrainBrain

Whoa whoa whoa, I'm certainly not trying to mis-label or interpret any aspirations - we have already established that Kuss' main objective was to take the stage, give out high fives and chug Cría Cuervos. So beats the heart of the Durango mountain biker. Plus it connects way more with his fan base to win on these mountains. I certainly was inspired to go out and peddle a bit yesterday after that win! I would hate to see him cruise wheels and stay out of the wind. GC Kuss
GC Kuss
I'm just saying everyone had pain faces on that climb - except for Kuss and Roglic. I wonder if Kuss will target the tourmalet, and other notable climbs in his career? GC Kuss
GC Kuss
He's been really coming into form throughout the season, claiming he feels better then after the giro. Going to be really exciting to see how things go this Vuelta! Angliru and Tourmalet loom on the horizon! GC Kuss
GC Kuss
Stage 10 TT looks very technical, so there's time loss and injury potential, probably not worth it when he's on this great form and can claim notable climbs - there are many winners of the Vuelta but only a few champions atop those mythical mountains. GC Kuss GC Kuss GC Kuss GC Kuss GC Kuss

​​​​
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 09-01-23, 04:15 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
If he gets the fire in his belly, he can ride. Remember the Tour of Utah? He rode strong there in conditions that weren't strictly climber (as well as soaring when it was!) It will probably take some real convincing by the J-V staff that he needs to do that so we will see.

I think staying out of the red as long as possible is probably his/JV's best move,
Was there any even halfway world leading competition at that Tour? Because otherwise how can you use that performance and say it means it's good enough for a grand tour? Because right, "riding strong" is not his watts/kg but compared to the field there.
Old 09-01-23, 04:17 PM
GrainBrain

****ing angels Bro

From cyclingnews - GC Kuss
Ineos Grenadiers were not the only GC team facing crash trouble on Friday, as stage 6 winner Sepp Kuss came within a whisker of a bad fall at some 10 kilometres to go. The Jumbo-Visma racer was back on his bike quickly, but he said it had been a near miss. “I’m ok, there was a crash in front of me and I had nowhere to go but I didn’t really hit the ground and luckily I could get going fast enough,” he told reporters afterwards.
​​​​​​​GC Kuss ​​​​​​​GC Kuss ​​​​​​​GC Kuss
Old 09-05-23, 11:04 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
It's definitely very exciting to have a fellow American racing at this level!
Likes For HeyItsSara:
Old 09-12-23, 09:38 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
I wonder how many American fans JV will lose when they finish cannibalizing Sepp.
Old 09-12-23, 10:28 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I wonder how many American fans JV will lose when they finish cannibalizing Sepp.
The shine is dulling a bit today.
Old 09-12-23, 10:51 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
The shine is dulling a bit today.
Yup.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 09-12-23, 11:49 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I like Sepp Kuss, a lot. But he's in a dark warehouse, with two guys he thinks are friends; standing on a sheet of plastic.
Old 09-12-23, 01:19 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Vingo was ill the first week of the race. He's better now.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 09-12-23, 03:05 PM
robertc3

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Secteur Sport, 2021 Giant Talon 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Vingo was ill the first week of the race. He's better now.
Not a better teammate that is for sure.
Likes For robertc3:
Old 09-13-23, 04:21 AM
Jughed

Originally Posted by robertc3
Not a better teammate that is for sure.

I really have not dog in this fight, so take this for what it is, just a question.

Do teams/riders typically gift a Grand Tour to one of the domestiques? Has this happened in the past?

Allowing Kuss to win would be a gift. Not saying its right or wrong, but it is what it is. The strongest man wouldn't be the winner.

And no, I'm not a big fan of Vingo or TJV.
Old 09-13-23, 04:47 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
For SURE this one.
Old 09-13-23, 07:20 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
I'm a little disappointed in JV taking so much time back in yesterdays stage (16). I appears that he is racing for himself rather than lending support to Kuss. Had it been the other way around Kuss would have taken the reins and led JV up the final stage until he dropped back. Not so with JV, which tells me it's all about him. It kind of sucks. I like both of them but Nomadmax is right. He's (Kuss) all by himself and they are chipping away at him. If I were Kuss, I'd fight like crazy and do whatever it takes to keep the red on.

Last edited by Breadfan; 09-13-23 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-13-23, 08:43 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Sounds like the team just wants the win and doesn't care who gets it. As long as they don't start squabling, it might work. Better than when "he who must not be named" claimed to be part of a 2 leader team in the TdF anyway.

Old 09-13-23, 09:18 AM
Jughed

Originally Posted by himespau
Sounds like the team just wants the win and doesn't care who gets it. As long as they don't start squabling, it might work. Better than when "he who must not be named" claimed to be part of a 2 leader team in the TdF anyway.
Looks like the team is just toying with everyone else and scooping up all the wins with the 3 leaders.

TVJ is on another level - make what you want out of that statement.

OH screw it - I won't beat around the bush. Them there are some doping MF'ers.
Old 09-13-23, 09:25 AM
robertc3

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Secteur Sport, 2021 Giant Talon 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
I really have not dog in this fight, so take this for what it is, just a question.

Do teams/riders typically gift a Grand Tour to one of the domestiques? Has this happened in the past?

Allowing Kuss to win would be a gift. Not saying its right or wrong, but it is what it is. The strongest man wouldn't be the winner.

And no, I'm not a big fan of Vingo or TJV.
Gifting a grand tour to a domestique, not that I have seen. But this isn't gifting him the race. It is racing him as the leader the way that he has always raced for the other leaders. He didn't attack his teammates to take red. He was in the right break on the right day and things broke for him. Then he has had some excellent days in the mountains and a solid TT. He is the leader of the race, isn't being threatened by any other teams. He own team should support him just like they have required that he support the other riders when the roles were reversed.
Likes For robertc3:
Old 09-13-23, 09:33 AM
GrainBrain

Oh my that was crazy. Roglic trying to explain himself but Kuss just saying "I had a weird feeling - but if I'm dropped I'm dropped". Vingegaard wtf you not waiting up for Kuss? Thanks Landismo!

Forget you Vingegaard you can't out descend an ex mountain biker from Durango. Good luck in the tour next year buddy!
Likes For GrainBrain:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.