Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cyclists riding on the wrong side of the road....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 09:24 AM
Bop Gun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know why, but I see this fairly often and it really bugs the crap out of me. I've never seen a serious cyclist doing it, of course....I feel the urge to educate these folks for their own good but have never had the opportunity. Besides being terribly unsafe it is also against the law I think.

Anybody else feel the same way? Has anyone ever said anything to a wrong way cyclist in a tactful, non-threatening way?
Old 04-22-06, 09:40 AM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Riding against traffic is more dangerous than riding with traffic.....although I see you live in south Florida, so I guess you're screwed whichever way you go.
Old 04-22-06, 09:47 AM
Silverserpent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just two months ago we had a man killed on his bike he was riding the wrong way up the street and was run over by a car making a right turn the driver of the car never saw the guy. I've seen it too many times to count people making right turns don't look right before they turn and if your going the wrong way up the street guess who's not going to see you when you pull out in front of them.
Old 04-22-06, 09:49 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by carbonissimo
I ride against traffic every morning, early.
My experience on the bike has taught me to do so.
I have heard all kinds of words from other cyclists that like you, can't figure it out.
That's ok.
Why do you think you see this fairly often?
Sounds like you've never been hit from behind.
First, fewer than 10% of bike car accidents occur with the bike being hit from behind. Second, riding the wrong way causes a ton of problems. Number 1, is closing speed. If you're doing 20mph on a 45mph road,the closing speed against traffic is 65mph. With traffic its 25mph, a huge difference in reaction time and delta V in the event of an accident. Second, you force cars to pass whether its safe or not. They don't have the option of waiting until its safe. Third, cars making right turns will turn into you and never even look for you. I could go on an d on.

What you're doing is illegal, and it endagers my safety. A bike going the wrong direction in traffic creates a very dangerous situation for cyclists riding with traffic. 2 cars, 2 bikes going opposite directions on the same side of the road equals nightmare. Some one with a fancy italian bike ought to know how to ride it. I really hope you can drive your porsche better than you ride.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 04-22-06 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-22-06, 09:51 AM
(Y(L|S+
I like 3.14!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just gettng back into cycling and I still ride WITH the traffic flow. I know it is the "correct" way. But I think to myself that I really am putting a lot of faith in drivers. The same drivers I see gabbing on the cells, eating a whopper, or putting mascara on in the mirror. Kinda scary huh? But still, I go with the traffic. I see both points of view. A cyclist riding against traffic may be able to avoid a wandering motorist. Either way, a cyclist on the road is very vulnerable no matter which way they are going.
Old 04-22-06, 10:08 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
No,learn to ride. It's one thing for a guy on abeach cruiser at 7mph to ride the wrong direction, its another for someone doing 25mph on a De Rosa. You set a bad example, give cyclists abad name, and endanger other riders.
Old 04-22-06, 10:23 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
No,learn to ride. It's one thing for a guy on abeach cruiser at 7mph to ride the wrong direction, its another for someone doing 25mph on a De Rosa. You set a bad example, give cyclists abad name, and endanger other riders.
+1. And if beach cruiser guy sees a "hard core" cyclist riding with the traffic, maybe he'll start riding the right way too.

Part of why bikes are still on the road is because in most states they are still considered "vehicles." Try defending yourself in court after a crash when your VEHICLE was going the wrong way on the road. There'd be nobody fixing up your De Rosa for you then... You'd be SOL from a liability standpoint because YOU were the one breaking the law. You'd even have to pay for the damage to the car!

At least in the unfortunate event of getting hit from behind, there's recourse under the law in most places and I know that the driver would pay. Also, from a trauma/applied physics standpoint, I'd much rather get hit from behind than head-on if I had to choose.

DrPete
Old 04-22-06, 10:45 AM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Riding the wrong way endangers other cyclists too. There's one guy around here who constantly rides against traffic. We've nearly collided several times. Everytime I see him, I yell out, "wrong way!"
Old 04-22-06, 10:49 AM
rickkko
TREK 2300 owner

Bikes: '04 Trek 2300, '77 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most cyclists I see around here riding "the wrong way" are homeless types with huge garbage bags full of recycleable material hanging off their bikes.

Doesn't matter to me how people ride as long as they don't impede or the normal flow of traffic or unsafely distract drivers.

That said, I have noticed drivers don't take to kindly (use their horns or squeeze their space) to anyone, cyclists, skateboarders, inline skaters, etc. that don't go with the traffic even if they aren't a hazard.

..rickko..
Old 04-22-06, 11:00 AM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks Dr.
I choose not to get hit.
And the deadbeat driver without insurance ain't paying.
South Florida is unique in many aspects.

But I think some of you missed me saying I ride against..EARLY.
There isn't anyone on the road when I'm out EARLY.
When I'm in the daylight, finishing up my normal 100 mile Saturday ride, I'm riding with the traffic.

But I do appreciate all of your comments and positive thoughts.
I get a kick out of anyone telling me to learn to ride.Or drive.
Typical responses from typical people.
That's what makes this world go round.
As opposed to people who choose to get hit?
And the deadbeat driver w/out insurance ain't paying whether you're riding with or against traffic, so don't you think you'd be better off riding w/ traffic for the reasons stated in the above posts?

You probably do know how to ride your bike and car just fine, but it seems like your increasing the odds of hurting yourself or someone else --- even if you're out early. Be careful.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 04-22-06, 11:00 AM
Bop Gun

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Dr.
I choose not to get hit.
And the deadbeat driver without insurance ain't paying.
South Florida is unique in many aspects.

But I think some of you missed me saying I ride against..EARLY.
When I'm in the daylight, finishing up my normal 100 mile Saturday ride, I'm riding with the traffic.

But I do appreciate all of your comments and positive thoughts.
I get a kick out of anyone telling me to learn to ride.Or drive.
Typical responses from typical people.
Why ride against EARLY if there is no one on the road? If you say you ride WITH when there is normal traffic, it must mean that you feel it is safer, since cycling is logically riskier when there IS traffic. Therefore, riding WITH must also be safer when there is less traffic. So why, then, do you ever ride against? That makes no sense.
Old 04-22-06, 11:07 AM
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here we go again. Still won't listen will you carbonissimo?

I'm pretty it was you who started the same damn argument on a thread last year! I still remember how stubborn that guy was and how he still wouldn't listen with 30 member all telling him he's wrong.
Not to mention the govt cited information, it's illegality, and the concesus of every cycling organization, safety organization, govt lawmakers, and educational organization out there.

You really are an idiot. You got hit once from the back and suddenly you have the warped idea that's much safer riding against traffic. Sure it's much safer doing the exact thing everyone says you shouldn't do. Sure it's much safer doing the thing the drivers in the huge, thousand pound metal machine doesn't expect you to do. Sure it's much safer to risk your life playing chicken with ignorant drivers on their cellphones. Sure it's much safer cutting your collision time in half.
Old 04-22-06, 11:10 AM
Hanzo
Softcore Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickkko
Most cyclists I see around here riding "the wrong way" are homeless types with huge garbage bags full of recycleable material hanging off their bikes.
There's a lot of that here too. Many are just hilarious in the fact that they go out of their way to be a nuisance to motorists. They'll just randomly swerve across like 4 lanes of traffic, ride down the very middle line dividing the roads, rest aganist cars if they actually stop at lights. I'm amazed there isn't more fatalities then there are really. And whenever a car does honk at them they get all indignant and flip them off and yell obscienties at the driver or throw things at them. I was riding one time and some suv honking at two transcients on bikes that were way out in the lane so one of them rolls over and starts kicking the side of the suv as he was riding! I don't know why but I found it quite funny at the time.
Old 04-22-06, 11:14 AM
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go ahead and laugh it off with idiotic one phrase comments.

It's rich, arrogant ***holes like you who think you're smarter than everyone else who are giving cyclists a bad name and ending up in the hospital room, or even worse, the cemetary. Don't be giving us teen cyclists a bad example to follow. One day that nice carbon $3000 bike is going get wrecked.
Old 04-22-06, 11:51 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Then why do you need to operate your vehicle on the wrong side of the road?

No, different flavored coffee makes the world go 'round. Anarchy on the streets is what makes people go dead.

Wrong way cyclists force me out into traffic about once a month; thankfully, they're less stupid in Michigan.
Old 04-22-06, 11:52 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I ride against traffic every morning, early.
My experience on the bike has taught me to do so.
I have heard all kinds of words from other cyclists that like you, can't figure it out.
That's ok.
Why do you think you see this fairly often?
Sounds like you've never been hit from behind.
This is a very good troll. And all of you have fallen for it.
Old 04-22-06, 12:20 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Yeah, I was thinking that about five minutes after I replied. No one is actually this stupid.
Old 04-22-06, 12:34 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've seen a serious (full kit, and a nice bike) doing this...I have no idea why, but it was annoying me....he just waved and gave a howdy as he went past.

...it annoys me to no end, but at least most of them have the decency to hit the sidewalk when they pull this crap.
Old 04-22-06, 12:41 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We get guys like this all the time in the Commuting forum. Sometimes they're actually serious, but most of the time they're just stirring the pot. I think there are 3 active Sidewalks vs. Roads threads going on right now...
Old 04-22-06, 02:42 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
This is a fun topic because there are people who hold strong opinions on both sides of the issue. Most people haven't figured out why it's safer to ride with the flow of traffic.

As another poster indicated, only a small percentage of automobile/bicycle accidents are rear enders. By far the lion's share occur at intersections. If you ride opposite traffic, every single time that you approach an intersection (an intersection can also be a driveway or parking lot exit), you are coming from a direction the other road users don't expect.
Old 04-22-06, 02:57 PM
BikerJoeP

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Ultimate.....2003 KHS Flite 800......2002 Jamis Quest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea...it is like taking candy from a baby isnt it?
Old 04-22-06, 03:58 PM
nemonis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by (Y(L|S+
Just gettng back into cycling and I still ride WITH the traffic flow. I know it is the "correct" way. But I think to myself that I really am putting a lot of faith in drivers. The same drivers I see gabbing on the cells, eating a whopper, or putting mascara on in the mirror. Kinda scary huh? But still, I go with the traffic. I see both points of view. A cyclist riding against traffic may be able to avoid a wandering motorist. Either way, a cyclist on the road is very vulnerable no matter which way they are going.

You are still better off riding with traffic. If you are worried about the drivers coming up behind you, just get a mirror. Then you can check behind you and still have the benefits others have cited (closing speed, predictability, etc.). Not to mention, it is the law. If you are worried about drivers not seeing you, you can always wear obnoxiously visible clothes (I wear bright yellow on top). You may look like an idiot, but if they are laughing at you, at least they saw you.

God bless!
Wayne J.
Old 04-22-06, 04:09 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The intersections, as Retro Grouch said, are the key. Drivers check for traffic coming from one way when making that right turn. If you are going the wrong way, there is a very good chance you are going to get smashed and it will be your fault.
Old 04-22-06, 06:32 PM
H1449-6
Former grouch, now happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Correct.
Old 04-22-06, 07:53 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
What the....??

Anyone see a ghost?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.