Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

OLN sucks monkey balls

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

OLN sucks monkey balls

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 10:42 AM
JohnSFO
Rider

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OLN had it listed as starting at 5 on their website as well as on promos leading up to Sunday. I had my VCR set to start at 2 and end at 4 (here in California) and ended up missing the first hour. The generally worthless Comcast TV listing had it as being on at 5 as well...

Annoying for sure but am currently downloading the torrent of it (as well as Amstel Gold & F-W) and can watch it at my leisure...

**I fully appreciate and am grateful for the coverage OLN (and its sponsors) provides**

Last edited by JohnSFO; 04-24-06 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-24-06, 11:07 AM
Vinokurtov
Now Racer Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnSFO
**I fully appreciate and am grateful for the coverage OLN (and its sponsors) provides**
Someone actually gets it.

Koffee, your complaints remind me of the panhandler that got a fifty and complained that he wanted two twenty's and a tenner. Or do you have your Tivo set to record the commercials that the people who pay for bringing you the race would like you to watch?

OLN is the only network that makes an effort to bring you bike racing, and your response is to say they suck monkey balls because your gadget couldn't record it right, and you were too busy to check it out live?

Nice.

I'm sure if your boss/significant other gave you a gift and you said "Hey, this sucks monkey balls, you don't care about me and I deserve better because I'm me, I'm going to buy my own gift and find another boss/significant other" they would fall all over themselves in trying to improve.

Hey folks, fishing and bull riding pays the bills for OLN so they can show lower profit stuff like bike racing. That's how Uncle Sammy runs.

Last edited by Vinokurtov; 04-24-06 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-24-06, 12:03 PM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
OLN is so distraught over this TiVo snafu that they are changing their name....

.... no.... really! See this story that was referenced in another post on the roadie board.
Old 04-24-06, 12:38 PM
Namenda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After all the complaints you posted in Foo about your problems with cable TV and internet, Koffee, I'm finding it hard to accept that OLN is to blame for your missing the end of the race. FWIW, I don't use DirectTV. Sounds like a terribly difficult process...

I'm a cycling and hockey fan. Although I couldn't give a rat's patootie about bull riding, I think OLN is pretty decent. I can put up with fishing lure commercials, if I'm going to see bike racing when the commercial is over.

Monkey balls. Really, where do you get this stuff? Since when do mods become trolls?
Old 04-24-06, 03:03 PM
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, AT LEAST we have OLN.
Old 04-24-06, 04:19 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I don't know about unwatchable but it sure wasn't good...I felt like I was watching on regular cycling.tv again. I guess I am just happy to be able to watch...now if I could record it so I didn't have to watch it when they had it on...but I guess they have replay and their archive so I guess I have that too.
I contacted tech support at Cycling.tv, they were helpful, but they claim that the bandwidth was fine that day and the problem is with my ISP. I tested in at 843kbps, but the network performance was awful.
I can watch the replays without any problems, this means its a cycling.tv problem.

I hope they can get it working better. The coverage is MUCH, MUCH better than OLN.
They interview the directeurs during the race.
They have tech interviews with guys like Vroomen.
They actually tell you the HRs and gearing of the riders, as well as speeds. Much more tech info about the bikes, its like the commentators actually know what cyclists want to hear. They respond to email questions live.

No mindless segments on french cheese or salt harvesting.

Old 04-24-06, 04:29 PM
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, but there's so much to learn about cheese in France!
Old 04-24-06, 05:21 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zimbo
This is a Tivo problem, not an OLN problem. My Time Warner DVR box was smart enough to record the extra half hour.

--Steve
My Time Warner DVR box ended up recording L-B-L in three separate recordings, but it got the whole thing.

I have it programmed to recording anything called "Cycling" on OLN, and to record 30 minutes past the "official" end time.

But OLN still sucks monkey balls, for not televising the Giro!!!
Old 04-24-06, 05:45 PM
gvonne

Bikes: 04 Fuji Navada, 05 Specialized Allez, 09 Scattante CFR Team Red Platinum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling Torrents?!?!

Hey JohnSFO what did you type in to get your torrent? I've been trying to get cycling torrents for a while and couldnt find anything?
Old 04-24-06, 06:23 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You mean Versus sucks monkey balls.
Old 04-24-06, 08:16 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hello Koffee,

I can understand your angst about the telecast times and maybe I am a lot more anal than most -- OK, not maybe, definitely -- but I always check record settings against what my ReplayTV guide shows.

Also, I'm not sure how long you've been watching televised races from Europe, but I'll take almost anything versus where we were through the 1990s and into the early 2000s. Seeing same-day coverage of the European Classics is very recent thing and OLN is NOT a major network. (Heck, they show hockey and rodeo.)

Not that you shouldn't criticize (in a constructive manner), but if the ratings get any lower we'll be lucky to even get internet coverage.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 04-24-06, 08:48 PM
Mojo GoGo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
...all I got was friggin hockey. Hockey! Grrrrrr... I had to go to the internet to get the results, and of course, I would have preferred to see the ending, not read about it.

I gotta get me that cycling.tv premire subscription.

Koffee
Thank goodness OLN has it's priorities straight

Actually, if it was the Rangers game I agree with you - monkey ball sucking, otherwise, if it's that big of a priority watch it live instead of taping or Tivo.

Sorry for the tough love Koffee.
Old 04-25-06, 12:28 PM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
I contacted tech support at Cycling.tv, they were helpful, but they claim that the bandwidth was fine that day and the problem is with my ISP. I tested in at 843kbps, but the network performance was awful.
I can watch the replays without any problems, this means its a cycling.tv problem.

I hope they can get it working better. The coverage is MUCH, MUCH better than OLN.
They interview the directeurs during the race.
They have tech interviews with guys like Vroomen.
They actually tell you the HRs and gearing of the riders, as well as speeds. Much more tech info about the bikes, its like the commentators actually know what cyclists want to hear. They respond to email questions live.

No mindless segments on french cheese or salt harvesting.
cycling.tv quality varies from race to race for me. Sometimes bad, sometimes okay, once in a while good. Like you I contacted them and they told me the same thing. The day I contacted them they were showing a live premium race at 391kbps. The picture kept locking up on me. I tested my download rate five times on different internet test sites and averaged 1.2mbps while cycling.tv was streaming. So it was not a problem with my ISP. So I contacted them again and they said that they had so many people watching that it did indeed lockup sometimes on their end. That is also why they almost always only stream at 391kbps even on premium which is simply not capable of showing lots of images of fast moving objects clearly on a larger screen/display. Since I have paid for the year, I will continue to watch but if they can't improve the premium feed to where it does not stop temporarily on their end, I doubt I'll pay for another year. By the way, you can also see on their FAQ section a reference to the "check our guide to optimising your connection." That link tells you essentially nothing. Finally has anyone noted that the first couple of live races on premium were streamed at almost 800kbps and the free stuff was almost 400kbps. Now premium is usually live at about 400 and free live is usually less than 300.
Old 04-25-06, 01:31 PM
JohnSFO
Rider

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gvonne
Hey JohnSFO what did you type in to get your torrent? I've been trying to get cycling torrents for a while and couldnt find anything?
Liege-Bastogne-Liege: https://tracker.zaerc.com/torrents-details.php?id=5963

Fleche Wallonne: https://tracker.zaerc.com/torrents-s...e+Wallone&cat=0

Amstel Gold: https://tracker.zaerc.com/torrents-details.php?id=5868

Paris-Roubaix: https://tracker.zaerc.com/torrents-details.php?id=5767