Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I think I'm in trouble. 300k this Saturday

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 02:38 PM
reneuend
RiverCity

Bikes: Trek Pro 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't ridden since last Thursday due to Spring chores and the job: Painting house, Garden, and yard work, and longer hours at the workplace. Previously, I was riding 20 miles per weekday, and a couple 40 milers. Now, I have a hilly 300k brevet this Saturday on the same route I did the 200k, but further out.

On the plus side, I have 20 hours to complete it.

On the minus side, it took me 11 hours for the 200k and I bonked after 95 miles. Also, it was sunny last time and this time the forecast is rain. I'm also going to be carrying a little more weight.

It really doesn't matter, I'm going to ride this even if it puts me in an early grave. I will be posting pictures with my new hand-built camera mount.

I guess I really don't have a question (nerves) except maybe what you would do in my position. This will probably open it up for some interesting responses.
Old 04-25-06, 02:42 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Eat a lot, drink a lot, pace yourself, find a really big guy to hide behind.
Old 04-25-06, 02:43 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it - by now, you either have the fitness to complete it or you don't.

Oh yeah, don't forget to eat.
Old 04-25-06, 02:44 PM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would eat a lot. After the ride I would have some ice available for my sit bones and the areas around my sit bones. Then I would have a beer. Or six.

Have a great ride!
Old 04-25-06, 03:01 PM
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do forget a good breakfast and a night of sleep.
Old 04-25-06, 03:16 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Eat a lot, drink a lot, pace yourself, find a really big guy to hide behind.
HEY! I resemble that remark!

No seriously just avoid black cats, don't walk under ladders, don't open any umbrellas indoors, and toss spilt salt over your shoulder....

...and eat, eat, eat early and often. Make the "bad bonk go bye-bye". Say that 5 times fast.

Good luck! Remember that we do this for fun when you're 250K in and drenched to the bone....

Old 04-25-06, 03:26 PM
Extort
Dagger Boy

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the Solvang Double last month it rained for 45 miles, and I actually improved my riding time because I was riding harder to get out of the rain...
remeber to eat and have the rain jacket on before the downpour starts...
Old 04-25-06, 04:04 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDTrain
Do forget a good breakfast and a night of sleep.
Out of all the brevet stories I've read online, a good nights' sleep before the event seems to be hard to come by.
Old 04-25-06, 04:09 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear it said that it is actually the night before the eve of the event that matters. Good luck out there and let us know how it goes. You can knock this thing out.
Old 04-25-06, 04:20 PM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck. Remember that with your fitness you can cover practically any distance so long as you take it slowly and eat a gel/bar every hour or so.

Get a good nights sleep and embrace the pain!!!!
Old 04-25-06, 05:19 PM
reneuend
RiverCity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
find a really big guy to hide behind
Ha! In the last brevet, I had 2 guys ride with me and we were the last 3 in! They told me they weren't going to ride this one. I think I'm on my own this time!

Originally Posted by Cromulent
Then I would have a beer. Or six.
Yeah. I was kind of thinking that myself!

Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
Out of all the brevet stories I've read online, a good nights' sleep before the event seems to be hard to come by.
I didn't sleep before my last one and I have to get up at 4am to make it to the start. So, you're right. I won't be sleeping much.

Originally Posted by Sawtooth
I hear it said that it is actually the night before the eve of the event that matters. Good luck out there and let us know how it goes. You can knock this thing out.
Thanks Sawtooth, I think my best chance of any rest will be 2 nights beforehand.

Originally Posted by Mingsta
embrace the pain!!!!
Its something I b**tch about after each long ride, but then the next day I'm ready to do it again! I guess roadies are weird that way.

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Remember that we do this for fun when you're 250K in and drenched to the bone
Ha! Now thats something to look forward too! That reminds me...I'll have to bring something to cover my camera if it rains and something to clean the lens with should it be wet roads.

Thanks everyone. Looks like its unanimous that I'll be sleepless, in pain, drenched, and that I'll find out if I'm really fit enough for rides like this! No matter the outcome, you'll see ride pics.

I have my rainjacket in my handlebar bag, cytomax, mocha-flavored clif shots(sounds and looks gross but actually very good), 2 tubes, tools, 2 headlights, helmet light, rear light, camera, Ibuprofin.

The only thing I haven't decided on is type of dog supressant. There are a lot of dogs on this route. I know there have been a lot of suggestions on detering dogs, but I like the idea of a CO2 airhorn that someone was going to try out on this forum. I just wonder if it worked for them. I've got plenty of weight and might just outrun or run them over!
Old 04-25-06, 05:25 PM
Extort
Dagger Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is going to rain, you might want to pack additional tubes and maybe a spare tire. Me and a buddy went through 8 tubes and one tire because all the junk on the road washes to the side of the road...
Old 04-26-06, 05:18 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by reneuend
I haven't ridden since last Thursday due to Spring chores and the job: Painting house, Garden, and yard work, and longer hours at the workplace. Previously, I was riding 20 miles per weekday, and a couple 40 milers. Now, I have a hilly 300k brevet this Saturday on the same route I did the 200k, but further out.

On the plus side, I have 20 hours to complete it.
But that's only 9mph average speed. You should be able to do that easily if you pace yourself and ensure good nutrition before and during the ride.
Good luck!
Old 04-26-06, 06:27 AM
reneuend
RiverCity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
But that's only 9mph average speed. You should be able to do that easily if you pace yourself and ensure good nutrition before and during the ride.
Good luck!
Ahhh! Good point. I wonder why I never calculated that out?

OK...Its no longer a question of whether I can finish or not, its more on my condition when I finish. But thats a small matter. Thank you for pointing this out. Now I feel better!
Old 04-26-06, 06:48 AM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbo load for weeks on end... Seriously, Good Luck for a successful ride!
Old 04-26-06, 07:26 AM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
All the brevets average out to 9.3 mph. The 1200k's average out to 8.3 mph for the 90 hour option.

But...you have to stop, and you have to sleep - at least on the 1200k's unless your name is Scott Dickson or Saunders Whittesley and can click off a 1200k in under 45 hours. Just be sure to pace yourself, eat and drink regularly, be as efficient as possible on and off the bike, and you should be ok.
Old 04-30-06, 07:18 AM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ok, it's Sunday morning...are ya finished yet?
Old 04-30-06, 07:52 AM
reneuend
RiverCity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
Ok, it's Sunday morning...are ya finished yet?
Ha! I was wondering if anyone would be knocking!

My daughter has been sick since Thursday and we weren't able to get her temperature down below 103. So, off she went to the doctor's Saturday morning while I watched our other 2 kids (one of these is also sick by the way). Talk about bad timing. I called Johnny Betrand, the ride coordinator, and told him I had to bail. I'm registering for a 300k up in Columbus, OH on May 20th. The plus side is that I'll have pictures of the Columbus ride, and pictures of the Lexington ride when I return for the 400k on June 3rd.

The ride in Columbus starts at 6am. It will probably take 3 hours to get there. I'll need to be there 1 hour before it starts. - That means I'll have to leave at 2am! Ha! I guess I won't have to worry about sleep! As someone mentioned, get my sleep in before the eve of the ride!

At least now I've got a little more time to prepare.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Stay tuned!
Old 04-30-06, 08:01 AM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ah....that sucks, but at least you have a little more time to prepare now and that you have your priorities in order (I'm sure some people would've still gone and left the wife home to deal with everything). Be sure to get a couple long rides in (100+ miles) before the 300k, and you should be even better off.

I would also add to NOT do any really hard efforts or anything where you greatly stress the body when the rest of the household isn't feeling well.....you'll become susceptible to catching whatever they had/have.
Old 04-30-06, 11:51 PM
Extort
Dagger Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry that you could not make it to the event, but with kids it can be difficult always being able to ride for an entire day. I am looking forward to seeing the photos from the May and June rides, those should be great rides!