Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Options for project bike build

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 10:25 AM
mbe820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been watching bike building videos and reading stuff on rivendell site, and have become interested in building a bike. I want to build a bike I could could use for commuting and riding on paved MUP. A frame that could fit wide tires would be nice. Currently I have a fixed gear bike.

Ideally I'd like a surly, soma or the like frame. But around 600 for just a frame is a little much for a first time build.
Where could I source a frame and parts? Obviously I could try craigslist but there are not many good options by me. Ebay, but i don't really know what to look. The brand name stuff(surly ect.) doesn't get much discount.
How much should I expect to pay for the small parts, any tips on sourcing small parts?
Old 01-13-23, 12:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by mbe820
I've been watching bike building videos and reading stuff on rivendell site, and have become interested in building a bike. I want to build a bike I could could use for commuting and riding on paved MUP. A frame that could fit wide tires would be nice. Currently I have a fixed gear bike.

Ideally I'd like a surly, soma or the like frame. But around 600 for just a frame is a little much for a first time build.
Where could I source a frame and parts? Obviously I could try craigslist but there are not many good options by me. Ebay, but i don't really know what to look. The brand name stuff(surly ect.) doesn't get much discount.
How much should I expect to pay for the small parts, any tips on sourcing small parts?
That can open up a lot of questions. If you know what you want then get it, Surly, Soma, whomever make decent frames that will last a long time yes they do cost money everything does cost money but it can make a great bike and something that you will have and be able to change for decades or not.

In terms of small parts they could cost .01¢ to $2000+. It all depends on what part but your local shop has got them or can get them for you easily. Plus they can help you figure out what parts you want and need for the build

If you are interested in cycling and working on bikes and you want discounts then work at a shop for a while and you can get discounts because you work in the industry.
Old 01-13-23, 02:05 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
... 600 for just a frame is a little much for a first time build...
Correct. You'd be much better off buying an old used bike and building off of that. Once you've done up a few of these, you find out what your preferences are. Then you are ready to buy your expensive frame and do your 'dream build'.
Old 01-13-23, 02:48 PM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
Go to your local bike co-op and buy a frame set for a song. Find a nice used wheel set and learn how to true the wheels. Also pick up used handlebars, stem, seatpost, crankset,etc.
Buy new entry level Shimano shifters and derailleurs.
Once you are done, do it again and again until you can do it with your eyes closed.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 01-13-23, 02:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

$ 600 for a Surly frame is pretty good deal. Those frames are so versatile and practical and can be build in so many different ways, it's totally worth it. As for components, you could try going with mid grade and lower budget components for some parts of your build. Here are some examples:

Sun Cr 18 rims, very cheap and very durable
Surly hubs or Shimano hubs are cheaper than Dt Swiss or Hope hubs
Cane Creek or FSA head sets are way cheaper than Chris King head sets and just as long lasting and reliable
Square taper bottom brackets and crank sets are cheaper than outboard bearing bottom brackets and crank sets.

One thing you should not skimp on is brakes...Mechanical brakes will be cheaper than hydros. if you decide to go with mechanical disc brakes get either Avid BB7s or TRP Spyre, those two brands of mechanicals are the best.and their cost is reasonable...Those are just some ideas is you're looking for a budget build.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-13-23, 04:08 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
The bike craze during the pandemic drove used prices through the roof, which makes the exercise of building from the ground up a pretty pricey proposition. I agree that buying a used complete bike (with a frame you like) and then salvaging parts from the bike, sourcing new/used where you can't salvage, and then re-building is probably the most economical way to go. Keep an eye on Craigslist, Ebay, and other used bike platforms (online and local) and be patient.
Old 01-13-23, 07:28 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Where you get the parts depends entirely upon what parts you’re looking for.

Building a bike frame-up is fun; but depending on what spec you’re building to, and how “dressed “ the frame comes, it can get a lot more expensive than you initially expect.
Typically, I estimate that a full build from scratch is about 30-50% more than buying a complete bike of similar specs.

Big pieces like wheel sets and and even shifter/derailleur groups can often be easily acquired, but the small parts like headsets, saddle/seat post, cable “jewelry “ and any other little bits of finishing kit can add hundreds of dollars to the build, $10-20 at a time.

Blank-sheet builds work best if you have a very specific plan, or centerpiece components that you want to build around. “A wide-tire commuter “ is a pretty generic design brief that could be satisfied by any number of off-the-rack bikes.

I you don’t have any really specific requirements in mind, a good place to start is a late-model used bike that’s about 80% of what your finished concept; try to find one that’s as complete as possible; Stuff like tires and handlebars are easy to change; it’s all the little pieces that can nickel and dime your build to a halt.
Starting with a mostly complete bike also saves you the time and energy on getting it functional, and lets you put your resources into what will make it “yours “
Old 01-17-23, 06:01 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts

I've bought several used Waterfords. They are a great deal on ebay, especially if you are looking for rimbrakes.
Old 01-17-23, 06:29 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Personally, I'm going to be building up a bike myself in the spring. I will be getting almost all of my parts off of Taobao (Chinese domestic version of AliExpress) as I've had good experience buying bike parts there in the past.

I'll be keeping the cost of the groupset low by going with a Chinese groupset from Sensah (who makes very good groupsets at a price much lower than Shimano or SRAM) and putting more money into the frame and wheels to start - I will be getting a custom titanium frame from Waltly, who do custom frames for very reasonable prices (they've quoted me US$1200 for frame plus carbon fork). The way I see it, groupset can always be upgraded later, but a good frame will last for many, many years so spending more money on that is worth it.