Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Threaded bosses on seatstays near rear v-brake bosses?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-24, 06:14 PM
urbanescapee

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Sojourn, 2012 Marin Four Corners, 2013 Soma Saga, 2014 Scott Spark 940, 2017 Brompton H6E, 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just picked up a 2020 Jamis Coda S2 for a steal ($50). He even threw in the lock he bought for $70 that was still new in the packaging. The dude bought it during COVID, rode it once or twice, then it sat on the balcony. Despite being outside for a few years, it’s in great shape.

While giving it a once-over today I noticed threaded bosses on the underside of the seat stays near the rear brake bosses. These are different from, and in addition to, the outward facing bosses normally used for a pannier
rack install. I couldn’t think of what they might be meant for. Then I looked at my 2014 Trek FX 7.2; it has them also. I worked as a bike mechanic for a few years around 2010-2015 and never remember seeing these. Anyone one know what they’re for?

Old 02-09-24, 06:47 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
It is a mount for a lock, like one of these.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 02-09-24, 08:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
It looks like a mount for a café lock (also known as a ring lock or wheel lock) Really quite a handy lock. I use the one on one of my bikes frequently. Highly recommend it, it is an ABUS 5750L without key retaining feature and your local shop can order them through ABUS all keyed-a-like to any plus or now x-plus key number or a whole set of locks meaning all of your locks are secure but only need one key so no futzing with different keys.
Old 02-10-24, 04:02 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Good answers, I did not know. The rental bikes in my city are equipped with a similar style, activated electronically. Prevents riding without renting, but useless in preventing theft. Homeless here steal them, cut the lock (probably with bolt cutters), ride off, rattlecan-paint the frame. I don't know if ridden just manual, or if they have figured out how to continue to charge and use as e-bike, and also disable gps locator.

Bike theft here is outta control. I see sketchy folks riding one bike and wheeling another really nice one beside it. I stopped locking my bike outside, period. Never leave bike for a second. All the stores I go to, let me wheel the bike right in; Grocery/supermarket, goodwill, Target, local government (not feds, can't get past metal detector and guards). If I can't bring my bike in, I walk or don't patronize the business.
Old 02-10-24, 07:30 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
If I can't bring my bike in, I walk or don't patronize the business.
I resonate with this. Also, a folding bike can make it easier to bring the bike in.
Old 02-10-24, 09:16 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
It may be for a fender bridge .

Old 02-11-24, 04:39 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I resonate with this. Also, a folding bike can make it easier to bring the bike in.
I tried that in earlier years. My Dahon Speed does not fold as quick as a Brompton, even longer if I need to take the panniers and trunk bags off, and doesn't roll well, and is heavy and bulky to carry folded. So roll it in, or nothing. I only need folding for occasional trips, however it's the other features of the bike that have me using it 100% of the time; Stepover frame, low CG, tons of cargo space.

Oh that's right, this isn't the Folder forum; I HIGHLY endorse folders, I don't need to fold it often, but when I do, it's a gamechanger. Especially for travel.
Likes For Duragrouch: