Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We Must Look Like Total Cupcakes to Non-Cyclists!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 10:13 AM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I started out my morning commute as normal. Got into my riding gear, packed my work clothes and lunch...tooled in because my legs felt tired from yesterdays run. I swiped my keycard to get into the bike room and noticed the black Fuji Team Lite that shows up on occasion that’s never locked. I locked my bike, swiped the loading dock card terminal and I'm in. The young black chick at the security desk whom I’ve never spoken to enthusiastically greats me for the first time, "Hiiii". I literally looked over my shoulder to make sure she was talking to me. She must have been because I was the only one there. She says "at least yours is black" and for an instant I thought she meant my skin color as some sort of “inside” racial comment, so I'm like huh? Then says while laughing her arse off , "the guy who works for Such & Such was wearing bright orange" referring to his riding gear.

I’m assuming that it must have been the guy with Fuji Team Lite as most of the bikes in the room are Kmart Specials. I'm not sure why she found his kit so funny, perhaps he rode commando and was showing “his goods”. I think we all know how cycling shorts other than black or dark blue can be revealing. I tried to defend him by explaining how cycling gear can be wild and that bright colors help with visibility, but I don’t think she heard me over the laughter. Personally I ride low key to work saving my flashy gear for group rides. It reminded me of all the strange looks I got on the elevator this past winter when I tucked my wind pants into my PI shoe covers. No big deal really, it just has me wondering what we must look like to non-cyclist.

Last edited by FormerBMX'er; 04-20-06 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-20-06, 10:27 AM
DIZZAH
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think all that laughing should tell you.
Old 04-20-06, 10:47 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking more like fruit loops.
Old 04-20-06, 10:50 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We look like total femmes. Hence the signiture from a quote from MST3k.
Old 04-20-06, 11:06 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
use to bother me, many years ago.
Now I just figure I enjoy something,bicycle riding ,that most have forgotten about or have 0 comprehension of the joy, serenity, solitude and how you can ride anyway and anywhere ya want, slow,fast, compete, anything!, all up to you.
Old 04-20-06, 11:15 AM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I remember meeting my wife at the mall after work because she wanted my opinion on something before she bought it. I commuted by bike that day and the mall was really busy. I was clicking through it in my clipless shoes, carring my helmet and wearing a lycra kit. Talk about self concious. I noticed that a lot of the ladies, young and old, were checking out my "Boonen" No one was laughing, not that I could hear, but it sure felt awkward
Old 04-20-06, 11:24 AM
VeloLisa
Isaiah 40:31

Bikes: 2009 Trek Madone WSD, 2005 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel SE, 2007 Fuji Absolute SX flat-bar roadie, 2005 Dahon Boardwalk 7 folder, 2009 GT Avalanche MTB, 1996 Trek 920 (beater bike) and last but certainly not least 1974 Schwinn Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sweet, non-cyclist husband agreed to drive 3 1/2 hours to take me to the Sea Otter Classic in Monterey. As we were driving in to the parking area, he spotted a couple of guys on road bikes and started laughing. I said, "What's so funny?". He says, "Look how gay those guys look. They're both dressed alike." I started busting up laughing and I go, "Babe, they're dressed alike because they're on the same bike team and that's their team kit."
"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood." - Susan B. Anthony 1896
Old 04-20-06, 11:38 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just end up feeling like a giant perv...seriously, bike clothes feel like I'm just wearing underwear.....might be that I wear boxer briefs norrmally...beats me. Either way, I feel naked.
Old 04-20-06, 11:38 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Ha.
Old 04-20-06, 02:15 PM
mellowdave
Красный Октябрь

Bikes: Kona Major Jake - CX/Gravel Kona Jake The Snake - Commuter, Pinarello Galileo - RoadieAF, Niner Air 9 - HT MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get in touch with yourself and move on.

Old 04-20-06, 02:21 PM
Namenda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mellowdave
get in touch with yourself and move on.

Just not in public, 'kay?
Old 04-20-06, 02:28 PM
Mach5871

Bikes: 2005 TCR Composite Limited, 2005 OCR 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think about his all the time when I buy cycling jerseys. Coming from a military background it was tough to get used to the bright colors and wacky designs. I usually wear black cycling shorts and a solid color jersey with a couple of exceptions. I have to believe that cycling as a hobby, sport, or competitively is growing in profile every year, so more and more people accept the gear as the standard look of cyclists. I love to ride my bike and in the end don't really care what people may think about us.
Old 04-20-06, 02:29 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Tequila Joe
...checking out my "Boonen" ...
My wife found his green kit during last year's TdF ...uh...enjoyable.

I used to stop by my high school during after school rides way back when. I always got a lot of eybrow movement and impressed grins from the girls. I enjoyed it.

Do we look gay? Yes. Let's face it...our best riders wear rainbow jerseys...it's not like we hide it.

Old 04-20-06, 02:29 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was living in Miami and had to drive about 30 miles to go MTBing. There was a Home Depot there and I needed a new tool box. So I figured "what the heck" and went in. After about 5 minutes in the store I was so uncomfortable with the stares that I left.
Old 04-20-06, 02:33 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's face it: in roadie kit we look like a missing member from the Village People.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 04-20-06, 02:37 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Thought this story might fit as well....last year I was super geeked to find that Primal Wear Pink Floyd dark side of the moon jersey on sale. Being a fan and loving the specific album I was in heaven.

...until I noticed that it got me a lot of attention on the first century I rode with it on. It wasn't just, "nice jersey"...it was more like "NICE jersey <blip on the gaydar>".

It wasn't until I got home that I realized that it was the rainbow in the art that was drawing the attention (these guys weren't Floyd fans and had never heard of the dark side of the moon...that was my first clue).

While I find that kind of attention strangely flattering, I just didn't find myself donning the jersey for nearly as many rides as I had intended.

Old 04-20-06, 02:42 PM
Albany-12303

Bikes: 4 Bikes: A Trek 2300,Old Nishiki lugged frame with sora/Campy wheels, Giant ATX-880 MTB & 2005 Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to commute to work today (we are down one car - my van died, and my Wife wanted to use the remaining vehicle). But I convinced her to let me use her car today.

I have traffic court at 6 PM and there would be no time to go home and pick up the car. I figure that it would be unacceptable to show up at a small village courtroom dressed in my lycra and Sidi's. The judge would likely double my fine for looking like a fairy!
1999 Giant ATX 880 MTB
Old 04-20-06, 03:20 PM
hiromian
Gios my baby

Bikes: Gios 96, Mercier 72, Peugeot 74 X 2, Sears full suspension High rise banana seat, Kona 94, CCM Rambler 70s.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tequila Joe
I remember meeting my wife at the mall after work because she wanted my opinion on something before she bought it. I commuted by bike that day and the mall was really busy. I was clicking through it in my clipless shoes, carring my helmet and wearing a lycra kit. Talk about self concious. I noticed that a lot of the ladies, young and old, were checking out my "Boonen" No one was laughing, not that I could hear, but it sure felt awkward
Wtf is a Boonen?
Old 04-20-06, 03:25 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by hiromian
Wtf is a Boonen?
A large Belgium that wears a Rainbow jersey. See also: "Cycling God", "Freak of Nature", "Next Doping Investigation Target", "Nicknames for One's Trouser Equipment"

Old 04-20-06, 03:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Please, somebody post the photo for hiromian.

Somebody once wrote on these forums that the coolness factor of bike kit is like the pull of gravity: it decreases in inverse square to the distance from the bike.
Old 04-20-06, 03:43 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Try this one...

Old 04-20-06, 03:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
And notice that he's not holding up his hands to say "Victory!" but "this is how long it is when I'm really excited!"
Old 04-20-06, 04:06 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by caloso
And notice that he's not holding up his hands to say "Victory!" but "this is how long it is when I'm really excited!"

My laughter is disturbing all of the surrounding cubes now....you will be sent a bill for lost time....

Old 04-20-06, 04:12 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Bikes: 2021 TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a Suarez "USA Kit" that looks like a giant U.S. Flag last Summer. I've worn it on a few Summer rides and specifically on Fourth of July weekend. Being a former Marine, I'm fairly patriotic you know(I have the primal wear USMC cycling jersey also). Anyways, women usually whistle, make cat calls or say"Nice a**!" A few have laughed that "Your a fairy" laugh..it's true. I've even been slapped in the butt once by a girl in the passenger side of a car(that was actually scary! I almost crashed I was so startled!) But anyways, It's usually the guys who act like tools and say derogatory things. I love cycling though and I really don't care what other people think of how I choose to dress to participate in the sport I love. It's there problem not mine.

Also, someone above mentioned going "commando." Duh.... you mean there are fellas who actually wear there boxers or briefs under their riding shorts!? When I try on a pair of shorts with them on, I'm like "Wow this is really uncomfortable! Glad I don't have to ride like this." But to each his own...I always go commando when cycling. :-)
Old 04-20-06, 04:12 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I saw an outfit yesterday that I think look far worse than our kits by a mile...ever seen a kayaker walking around with their spray skirt on???? They look like some character out of Alice in Wonderland!!!! I tried to Google for images but couldn't find a single picture of one actually on a person. They look dorky and they know it!

** Apologies in advance to any kayaking enthusiasts on this board **

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.