Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Minor everyday aches & pains

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 01:01 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

2017 is turning out to be a good cycling year. It was a mild winter and I'm riding more than I have during any time in the last 4 years.

Although my overall well being is excellent, I'm enduring more minor pain and stiffness, especially in the first hour of the day, than I remember from any other time. I'm using a recovery protein drink after most rides. I'm able to work out without performance related discomfort.

I'd like to know if some stiffness and minor aches are inevitable or if something can be done to reduce this condition. Any suggestions?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-22-17, 04:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
At 59 I can't remember a day since 2001 that I didn't wake up aching, or several times throughout the night. But that's mostly due to injuries from a car wreck, and nagging stuff associated with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and psoriatic arthritis.

Only time I'm not aching -- or at least not aware of it -- is during a bicycle ride and for a few hours immediately afterward when I feel invigorated. Best incentive I have to get moving again -- remembering that it gets better after I'm warmed up on the bike.

I pop ibuprofen like candy. Wish it wasn't necessary but nothing else without a prescription works. Tylenol/acetaminophen doesn't do a thing for me. Aspirin is a little effective on very minor aches. I can get muscle relaxers and stronger prescription pain relievers but I try to minimize using those because they make me drowsy and lazy.

Soaking in a hot bath with epsom salts works. So do muscle rubs -- the stuff with salicylates, menthol, etc. Maybe it's the rubbing and improved circulation that really helps, I dunno. Don't care as long as it helps.

I avoid prescription meds because I've seen how complicated it can be with multiple prescriptions interacting. I've been a caregiver on and off for almost 30 years for my grandparents and mom, and have a background in nursing. Often we've had to talk with doctors about changing or dropping prescriptions because of interactions and side effects. I'd rather keep that to a minimum. I'll probably need blood pressure meds eventually -- runs in the family and even with diet and exercise occasionally my BP spikes unusually high. And I'd like to try Armour Thyroid rather than synthetic -- might help with the Hashimoto's, since the synthetic does nothing for me. But when I've take beta blockers and calcium channel blockers before I've felt sluggish, drowsy, dizzy and achy.

Regarding diet, supplements and lifestyle changes, nah. Tried everything, from sensible to hippie guru holistic voodoo stuff. Hardly anything made any difference that couldn't be attributable to placebo effect. I cut out wines since the sulfites seemed to aggravate some aches and pains, especially sinus headaches. But that may be coincidental. I prefer beer anyway. And I don't drink much of any alcohol, just a beer or two after a ride, often with friends after casual group rides.
Old 05-22-17, 04:51 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
My doctor recommended Alieve, or a generic naproxin, which seems to work for the joint pain. Yoga works to keep the muscles loose.
Old 05-22-17, 08:20 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
A hot shower first thing in the morning helps me. And then a brisk walk to catch the bus.
Old 05-22-17, 08:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Welcome to life after 50, where you start to learn anatomy, as various body parts announce their presence. Suddenly parts that you never knew you had start protesting and demanding attention. Give it a few more years, and you'll know more body parts than a 2nd year medical student.

Free education is just one of the fringe benefits of getting older.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-22-17, 08:39 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I was definitely having conversations with my body when I got out of bed in the morning, it seemed to increase exponentially once I turned 65 (67 now). I too was popping Nsaids every day just to get by. Cycling helps, because it helps stretch out my back as I ride in a somewhat aggressive posture; this is the opposite of what I thought when I first started riding again. I always see "seniors" riding upright. That just made my back/hip aches worse.
The other thing that helps is I take Celadrin (Costco sells it). I'm not a supplement fan and I don't accept the idea of fantastical "remedies" but I tried it on a friend's recommendation. A year later and I take Nsaids once a month, maybe, when my sciatic nerve is irritated. I ran out of Celadrin and it took two weeks to get my resupply and I noticed the difference immediately after I stopped and again two days after I resumed. It might help you, it might not. My philosophy was it couldn't hurt and if it worked, cool. Well, it worked for me. I was very concerned about taking so many Nsaids because of liver and kidney damage potential.
I suggest trying Celadrin or some off the glucosamine/chondroitin supplements and see if they help. time to get on it is now, before it gets too bad.
Old 05-22-17, 09:51 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Well yeah, that first walk to the bathroom I'm a little stiff. I'm always a little sore from some activity. I used to train so hard that I had trouble sleeping from the muscle pain, but that was 10 years ago or so. Either I don't push it as hard now or I've finally gotten in decent shape. It helps me to do at least these three activities: cycling, hiking, and weights - downhill skiing or snowshoeing in winter. I skip one of those for a couple weeks and I start to go downhill. And I stretch and roll my lower back every morning after I've been up for about an hour. That helps too. So I don't think it's gotten noticeably worse from 50 to 72, but it certainly isn't like it was at 25 either. Something's always going blewie and I'm always trying to figure out how to fix it. That kinda holds my interest.
Old 05-23-17, 01:26 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Late 60's I'm pretty much free of general aches. But I have a bad memory . . . .I forget about the stuff I write here . . . . .
All you over 50's, DON'T go getting yourself a hernia . . . . a week after the op, I'm feeling loads better. Another 3 to go before I get semi serious . . .just wondering how to get on and off my bike without . . . . even the thought is painful
Old 05-23-17, 03:50 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Welcome to life after 50, where you start to learn anatomy, as various body parts announce their presence. Suddenly parts that you never knew you had start protesting and demanding attention. Give it a few more years, and you'll know more body parts than a 2nd year medical student.

Free education is just one of the fringe benefits of getting older.
Good one. I concur 100% and I'm 73.
Old 05-23-17, 05:19 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Although my overall well being is excellent, I'm enduring more minor pain and stiffness, especially in the first hour of the day, than I remember from any other time.
In addition to the hot shower and brisk walk ... a good mattress and pillow help. It is worth spending money on those things.

If you haven't purchased a new mattress in the past 10 years ... it's time to go shopping!

Go to a few good mattress shops, ask questions, try them out, take your time and choose something that you think will work for you.

Then start pillow hunting.
Old 05-23-17, 06:04 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
In addition to the hot shower and brisk walk ... a good mattress and pillow help. It is worth spending money on those things. . .
Yeah, I'll second that. One of the best things I ever did for my back.
Old 05-23-17, 12:29 PM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I guess aches and pains are a sign of "maturity" I will be 64 this summer and I am also feeling assorted aches and pains. Last Thursday I didn't have enough time for my normal ride so I went out for a quicker and shorter ride and I felt great afterwards until about 5 hrs later when I literally got a pain in the ass. I am doing the smart thing and take it easy for a little bit. Anyway if my day starts with me seeing green of the grass instead of grassroots I am going to have a good day
Old 05-24-17, 02:49 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
At 59 I feel it in the mornings. Hips, thighs and lower back stifnness. Soon after the day gets moving I'm ok. Active lifestyle is the cause but I really really like the effects. As a Type1 diabetic my A1C is 6.7-7.5, BP is 102/60....that is the payoff.
Old 05-24-17, 04:57 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
FWIW, I'm 55 and bike commute 3-4 days a week year-round with one or two weekend rides. My legs and back are stiff most mornings regardless of whether I rode the day before. I missed two and a half weeks last winter with an additional week off in early spring, and it made no difference. I am to the point now if I sit through a movie I am stiff standing up.
Old 05-24-17, 05:56 PM
nashvillebill

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wake up a lot of mornings feeling sore or just plain rotten. Then I remind myself "hey, at least you woke up!"
Old 05-24-17, 06:41 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Did anyone mention a regular stretching routine?
Old 05-24-17, 07:07 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Much and all as rydabent irritates the hell out of me with his heavy duty promotion of recumbents, I have to agree with him on his view that if you stay still you rust. If I sit for any period on a tractor, Gator, car or even the chair at home, I stiffen up. If I keep moving, it's not such an issue. Getting out of bed in the morning is fine, though. Stretching can help (although I have been remiss lately on that, but am returning to it during my gym visits).
Old 05-24-17, 07:17 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
At 78 I have had minor aches and pains for several years. It may seem trite but I just plain ignore them as much as possible. If you just keep moving, they pretty much go away. Some of us seem to be able to, and I guess some cannot.
Old 05-24-17, 09:54 PM
tajar66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It seems I woke up the day of my 40th and everything hurt. Several nagging old injury things are making thier presence known. Staying active does help. We did the sleep number bed that helped quite a bit. I guess getting old is not for the weak.
Old 05-25-17, 01:31 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
It's interesting. I'm 63, and for me it's just been the last couple years that "aches and pains" have been more than just something after major exercise. But I try to only take naproxen or ibuprofen maybe once or twice a month since it's bad for the liver. I had lower back problems in my 40s, but that's actually been better in the last few years.

What surprises me is I lift in the gym 3 times/week plus cycling 3 times a week, but doing a day of yard work, or spending a few hours working on the car and I really feel it the next day.

I pretty much quit running due to knee pain, but now when I run the knees are OK but it really gets my hips.

scott s.
Old 05-25-17, 03:16 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Did anyone mention a regular stretching routine?
No, I think your are the first. Odd? Stretching is the key I think. I used to do it with karate and I certainly do it with cycling. We use some serious muscles and they tend to shrink back after sustained use, this is where a lot of the stiffness comes from and it can also cause joint pain as the muscles are connected to the bones etc etc.

I think stretching is not done by many because it's boring and I often forget myself before a ride but I think an easier way if you can figure it out is to incorporate it into your other activities. Take the calf stretch below, I can do this while waiting for the jug to boil or when reading texts on my phone or writing up the log book after a ride.

Similarly before a ride there are plenty of things we do that can incorporate stretching. Just think of how you check the pressure in your tires and you'll realize you can squat or bend from the waist with feet wide apart and legs straight to do it. Both will stretch muscles. The bottom line for me is if I try to do a stretch and it's hard/painful or there is limited movement, then I know I should be doing it.

Leg Stretches: Improve Flexibility
How to Stretch Your Legs: 13 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Old 05-25-17, 09:56 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I wake up, have coffee, then shower. I do my stretches in the shower (anti-slip floor mat). The heat makes it much less likely I will offend some tight muscle and do further injury. I've been doing it for about a year now (a hot yoga teacher told me to try this, not "hot" like attractive, but one of those high-heat classes). I couldn't touch the floor when I started, now I'm almost able to place my palms flat. The few stretches I can't do in the shower due to space I do right after while my body is still warmed up.
Old 05-25-17, 10:15 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
I wonder how many of you with all the aches and pains are on statins? I went on them briefly (optional, as my arteries are clearer than average for my age), and within a few weeks, started having aches and pains in places I never had before, and much worse aches and pains where I had minor pains before. I stopped taking them, and the aches and pains disappeared. I've read where statins can affect tendons and the like ... I wonder.

Old 05-25-17, 10:49 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
No statins here.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-25-17, 11:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
No, I think your are the first. Odd? Stretching is the key I think. I used to do it with karate and I certainly do it with cycling. We use some serious muscles and they tend to shrink back after sustained use, this is where a lot of the stiffness comes from and it can also cause joint pain as the muscles are connected to the bones etc etc.

I know Trappist monks who sleep on mats for 60 years. No soft pillows or mattresses.

They do lots of manual labor in the five factories, guest house and farm they run and augment it with Ti Chi and yoga type exercises. Many of them are active into their 90's. Just lost one who was 103.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.