Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

One bike vs multiple bikes?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

One bike vs multiple bikes?

Old 06-18-19, 10:53 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Is it a sign from the universe that I spotted six Surlys on Saturday? They're not common here, so six was a surprise. Two Disc Truckers (a local young couple), two Cross Checks (two young women riding from Seattle home to San Diego, desperate for a beer), a Karate Monkey (parked on the sidewalk), and another I couldn't ID (also parked on the sidewalk).

Nah, it's probably just coincidence.
Old 06-20-19, 07:19 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Our space is larger than most. I keep one in the apartment, one in the building's bike room, and two in the basement. I'm lucky to have this much space and tolerant neighbors and wife. The bikes in the basement might violate the fire code (blocking a path of egress), but so far, so good.
that is impressive from my limited understanding of NYC and the limitations on space. thanks for the answer Tom!
Old 06-20-19, 12:58 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
that is impressive from my limited understanding of NYC and the limitations on space. thanks for the answer Tom!
I'm not offended that you only asked Tom about what he does. No, really, I'm not...

Buuut, just FYI, some of us go through such machinations as subletting a 2BR apartment as a 1BR, just so that we can keep the second room for bike storage/workshop. But, nobody asked me, so...
Old 06-20-19, 03:56 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Sorry about that @robertorolfo what do you do? 🥴
Old 06-20-19, 04:43 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I had a hybrid, sold it and bought a road bike. Put thousands of miles on the road bike, and then bought a hybrid to have as a second bike. Now I find myself riding even more than with just one.

Road: distance rides, fitness rides, exploring rides. Rides that go better with bike shoes and an aerodynamic position and efficient riding.

Hybrid: Commuting, riding with the kids to the park, shopping - for when I need a rack and prefer not to need bike shoes. Aerodynamics doesn't matter as much, nor does efficiency.
Old 06-20-19, 07:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
@RidingMatthew, perhaps one important point is that New York is a huge city with a wide range of experiences. There are some zones with single-family houses, though fewer than most cities. Most apartments in Manhattan are small, but I grew up in one with three bedrooms. My wife and I live in a converted warehouse loft, much bigger than the average apartment. I think we have 1,400 square feet of interior space, which is the same as a small house. It has some compromises, just as every place does, but we are also very lucky.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-20-19, 08:22 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

I was not trying to smart Alec just figured I would ask Tom based on his posting about riding this bike today and a different tomorrow.

Originally Posted by noglider
@RidingMatthew, perhaps one important point is that New York is a huge city with a wide range of experiences. There are some zones with single-family houses, though fewer than most cities. Most apartments in Manhattan are small, but I grew up in one with three bedrooms. My wife and I live in a converted warehouse loft, much bigger than the average apartment. I think we have 1,400 square feet of interior space, which is the same as a small house. It has some compromises, just as every place does, but we are also very lucky.
I know but also just have a picture in my mind based on tv shows or books I have read. I know exactly an accurate depiction of all of NYC.

1400 is a lot of square footage! Either way it is very different than my home in the suburbs in the Triad of North Carolina 😃
Old 06-22-19, 11:57 AM
m.t

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of bikes
Old 06-24-19, 03:44 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

As Tom said, everyone has a different situation, and different parts of the city have different characteristics. When I moved in with my GF, I decided to sublet my old apartment rather than simply give it up. I sublet it for the same amount as the rent (it's illegal to profit in these situations), but I told the tenant the one small "bedroom" would be for my 'stuff,' which I would occasionally have to come to take care of. That tiny bedroom now houses a few of my bikes, as well as my workstand and tools.

I keep the bike I am currently using in the apartment with my GF (she allows this), and on some occasions there are two there (like if it is going to rain and I bring in my rain bike for use the next morning). There is also a bike storage room in the basement of a building across the street from my current apartment with the GF, and I keep two bikes in there, plus the GF's bike.

There is a fair bit of logistics involved when I feel like switching bikes, but luckily my old apartment is just a few blocks away, and I've gotten pretty good at shuttling a second bike around the neighborhood (meaning riding one bike while holding the second bike alongside).
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 06-24-19, 08:15 PM
hch389

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to be quite the hypocrite here, but I think n-1 is the optimal for some people and how I try (though rarely successful).

I've got a hybrid (bought when my road bike was stolen), a road bike (to replace my road bike that was stolen). I commuted to school on both, and commuted to work on gravel with the hybrid. Stopped using the road bike since Michigan roads suck.
Then, I got a hardtail, which could be good for snowy commutes but yet to try.
Finally, I got a gravel bike, to go on fast fast gravel rides with a group. I tried once on my hybrid and barely hung in there. Tried again on my gravel bike and hanging with the group was 25 beats/minute(heart rate) average easier! Now I want to commute on the gravel bike since I now experienced how much faster it is.

So... I want to commute with all of these bikes depending on weather and work location, but kind of wish I could get rid of them all except for the gravel bike and hardtail to simplify my apartment clutter.

N-1!! I've only sold 1 bike in my life, 1 stolen, and have 4 now. Selling is hard since there's so much emotional attachment.
Old 06-25-19, 07:40 AM
golftdi

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
N + 1 also applies to guitars.
And amplifiers.
And pedals.

Just saying.
Old 06-25-19, 10:17 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by hch389
N-1!! I've only sold 1 bike in my life, 1 stolen, and have 4 now. Selling is hard since there's so much emotional attachment.
That is a good point, but I promise you, if you put your unused bikes on craigslist at a competitive price (compared to comparable bikes on CL) and sell it, after it's gone you will not miss it, or worry about whether you didn't get enough money for it. The way the human brain works is it stresses out about these kinds of things beforehand, and afterwards they forget the pain. (This is why women can have more than child)

If it helps, if you find yourself nostalgic about a bike you got rid of, comfort yourself thinking it's happier being ridden than sitting around being unloved. And if you STILL wish you had that bike back, you can probably buy the same bike again if you search hard enough, maybe 1 or 2 years different, or a different color.
Old 06-26-19, 03:37 PM
robertorolfo

Plot twist: I received an email memo yesterday from "building management" informing us that some bikes had been recently stolen from the bike storage area. My GF was pretty alarmed, but I told her that we probably didn't have much to worry about. I'm familiar with a lot of the bikes that are in there, and my '86 Lotus Legend and her 1960's Schwinn Breeze aren't exactly the most expensive bikes there (even if you consider that you get both of them if you cut just one lock). Sure enough, our bikes were fine.

Not that this makes me happy or anything, as the thought of someone stealing other people's bikes still pisses me off. What's crazy is that this storage area is in the basement of a parking garage that has video cameras all over the place. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but hopefully they will find the person responsible.
Old 06-26-19, 04:02 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

@robertorolfo that is pretty crazy. I hope that technology helps them identify the perpetrator! Glad yours are safe.
Old 06-26-19, 04:09 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I think if you're self sufficient for maintenance, and have space for a spare bike, it can come in handy when you have to wait for a part or find time to make a repair. It's also fun to ride a bike that's devoid of the typical commuting / shopping accessories, and can be stripped down to the bare essentials.
Old 06-26-19, 04:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My N is 4 right now (trike, MTB, BIL's roadie, Dad's Paramount) and should go to 3 starting in August when I put the trike up for sale

...Not counting tandem, wife's two bikes and scooter, kiddo's bike and scooter, toddlers' balance bikes, Big Wheel, Cozy Coupe, Bob twin jogger, Cougar twin trailer, or the "Little Tikes Perfect Fit" which is a bad stroller masquerading as an un-ride-able tricycle
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-26-19, 09:59 PM
KingOfTheHill

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have way too many according to my wife, and she may be right.

Three road bikes
One gravel bike (cheap one from the Performance going out of business sale)
One full suspension MTB
Two rigid single speed MTBs (I LOVE my SIR9 with carbon fork)
One hardtail MTB
Another hardtail MTB that was converted to around town duties with a rack and Wald baskets
One cheap hybrid my neighbor gave me

I do commute on the road bikes and gravel bike so they see plenty of use. My MTBs I’ve been neglecting for a few months but that will change real soon.
Likes For KingOfTheHill:
Old 08-29-19, 02:43 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
They say, “variety is the spice of life” and I tend to agree. At the moment I have 7.
Old 09-01-19, 07:16 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
I have just purchased my second bike. I am in college and room in my apartment is not plentiful, but i couldn't pass up the opportunity. My first bike is a 1973 Schwinn Le Tour that I use as a daily commuter. However i just bought a 1985 Fat Chance Mountain bike. The price was too cheap to pass up. The Fat needs some serious work, and I didn't bring many specialty bike tools ill need like a crank arm remover etc. So there is my view on more than one bike, I have more than one but its dead weight for now.
Old 09-02-19, 09:11 PM
Paul Ko

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think at least two bike needed...road cycle and MTB !!
Old 09-03-19, 09:49 PM
BlueBike83

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have two (well two that I ride regularly, there’s one more)- one road bike and one gravel/cyclocross/ adventure (Brodie themselves appears to be unsure what kind of bike it is). The gravel bike I use for rainy days, disc brakes are nice for that. On dry days I prefer the road bike, faster and nicer I find. Having two bikes also has the advantage that I’m not bikeless when one is in need of repair.
Old 09-05-19, 05:05 AM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Understand the question, but need a spare

Originally Posted by fietsbob
If you get a Late start in the morning, having a second bike ready to go will 'save your bacon'*, if the primary one got a flat tire.

*and maybe your Job.
Happened to me yesterday!!
Old 09-05-19, 09:51 AM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I have one bike. I just gave away the other bike I had to a bike coop as a means of 'giving back'.

When one lives in an apartment there just isn't much room for stock-piling bikes.