Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New Specialized Rockhopper Comp 1x...what would u upgrade and why?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-19, 09:10 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts

I am an tinkerer and I like modding things but for a good reason. I just got a 2020 Rockhopper Comp 1x bike and I LOVE the thing. I am just getting back into mountain biking so the trails I ride would be considered easy right now. Getting my stamina up and getting used to the handling and gears and the way the bike rides. Its got Shimano Hydraulic brakes, a Suntour XCM shock, Microshift Advent 1x9 drivetrain, Stout cranks, Specialized basic pedals, Stout neck and bars and Specialized grips. So far I really like the bike. My thoughts are what would make the bike better? And would I notice the difference on my trails? And would it increase the maintenance or decrease reliability? I am used to the car world and some things are lighter and faster but need more maintenance.

Shock:
Reviews said the Suntour shock isn't the best..is there a good easy swap that improves performance and is as reliable and bulletproof? Suntour has an upgrade program to their more expensive units...The Rockhopper Pro uses the Rockshox Recon RL..anything else and again..will I notice it?
Crankset:
Stout Crankset, The Pro uses Stout Pro...or should I look into something lighter like Raceface? Again...Will I notice?
The brakes and drivetrain I really like and cant see it improving much...The shifting is accurate and precise and the brakes stop on a dime.

For now I am riding it and learning. Just wondering where I should look for the first upgrade.
Old 09-08-19, 12:09 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
The shock will eventually wear out. Depends on the miles and your abuse level. It should be the first upgrade but you should wait until you realize that it is holding you back!

Fork 1st.
Old 09-08-19, 02:14 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I wouldn’t change anything except maybe add a dropper post. If you decide you really don’t like a part or it breaks or wears out, that’s when to change. Every piece on it can be replaced with something a little more durable or lighter at higher and higher prices.

The fork isn’t the bottom of the barrel. It’s got damping. Service parts and different stiffness springs are available.

The best way to find out if you would notice the difference is to go test ride a $3000 bike and see what about it you like better. You will probably notice the suspension and brakes. I bet you don’t notice the shifting or the cranks.

Weirdly enough I can find your bike for sale but not on the Specialized website. I wonder what gives?

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-08-19 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 04:36 PM
jrhoneOC

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Weirdly enough I can find your bike for sale but not on the Specialized website. I wonder what gives?
Yeah I know...its been out for a little while but not on the site. You can google it, and its for sale in lots of places, there is an actual Specialized store locally and I test rode it there. Just not on the site. Maybe they still have a lot of 2019s and they dont wanna have the 2020 officially out there? The 2020 is cheaper and better spec'd.
Old 09-12-19, 09:17 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
1st...The reviews are correct. I would ditch that junk Suntour shock in favor of a Rockshox or Fox Shock. A $300-$500 model from either of those brands will be levels above the Suntour.

2nd...Carbon Bars and Carbon Seat Post or as suggested a dropper post.

3rd...Upgrade the wheelset...aluminum or carbon with a hub that has more engagement points and will more than likely also be lighter.

https://www.speedgearbike.com/

The rest of the components just replace as they wear.
Old 09-12-19, 01:43 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
If you are riding anything technically challenging, or just going downhill somewhat fast, a dropper is worth every penny and is likely transferable to your next bike. Check out PNW.

The other first thing I would do is look at the tires. What is on there now?

I would not mess with the fork until it starts crapping out, and which point look for a better fork or you might be looking at a better bike by then. The fork will make a big difference, but it will cost some money.

I would only mess with cockpit stuff (saddle, bars, stem) if it is for fit reasons. Otherwise leave it.

I would leave the drivetrain, brakes, wheels alone.

Be careful about spending too much on this bike. The most expensive way to get a great bike is to start off with an good bike and upgrade everything. If you are going to spend money on it, try to focus on things that you can be pretty sure you will use on your next bike: i.e., saddle, pedals, dropper post.
Old 09-12-19, 02:10 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239573-154446
Says 2 x 9
I'd ride the bike and save for a new one with thru axles.
Old 09-12-19, 07:50 PM
jrhoneOC

Originally Posted by trailangel
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239573-154446
Says 2 x 9
I'd ride the bike and save for a new one with thru axles.
Thats not my bike. Its so new its not on the website. Thats a 2019. Mine is a 2020. The model is 2020 Rockhopper Comp 1x. It's got a 1x9 drivetrain.

https://www.wheelworld.com/product/s...x-364152-1.htm

Thats my bike...

Originally Posted by Kapusta
If you are riding anything technically challenging, or just going downhill somewhat fast, a dropper is worth every penny and is likely transferable to your next bike. Check out PNW.

The other first thing I would do is look at the tires. What is on there now?

I would not mess with the fork until it starts crapping out, and which point look for a better fork or you might be looking at a better bike by then. The fork will make a big difference, but it will cost some money.

I would only mess with cockpit stuff (saddle, bars, stem) if it is for fit reasons. Otherwise leave it.

I would leave the drivetrain, brakes, wheels alone.

Be careful about spending too much on this bike. The most expensive way to get a great bike is to start off with an good bike and upgrade everything. If you are going to spend money on it, try to focus on things that you can be pretty sure you will use on your next bike: i.e., saddle, pedals, dropper post.
Thanks..good info. I'm 50 and just got back into the sport after being out for 25 years. So I am not doing anything too challenging or technical now. I am just riding it and enjoying being back in the saddle. And getting back into shape.
Old 09-13-19, 01:42 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Looking a little more closely at this bike... I really like it for the money, but some things about it will be hard to upgrade.

The wheel hubs and the fork ends and dropouts are quick-release, and non Boost spaced. Most nicer bikes now use thru axles and Boost spacing (which is a little wider for fatter tires). Some of this can be accommodated with conversions at the wheel hubs.

Because you don't have boost spacing at the rear, an 11-speed or 12-speed conversion might be tough. The bigger cogs are dished inward and they may cause the chain to rub on the tires. But this is more likely with fatter tires than the ones that came on your bike. Some combinations might work.

Upgrading the fork any significant amount almost requires a thru-axle front hub. Only the hybrid or bottom-lineup forks from RS have QR axles. I don't know about Fox, haven't looked. But those are not going to be a whole lot better than what you have.

The brakes at least are completely standard, you can go as good as you like there. So are tires, saddle, grips, pedals, and so on.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-13-19, 04:22 PM
jrhoneOC

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Looking a little more closely at this bike... I really like it for the money, but some things about it will be hard to upgrade.

The wheel hubs and the fork ends and dropouts are quick-release, and non Boost spaced. Most nicer bikes now use thru axles and Boost spacing (which is a little wider for fatter tires). Some of this can be accommodated with conversions at the wheel hubs.

Because you don't have boost spacing at the rear, an 11-speed or 12-speed conversion might be tough. The bigger cogs are dished inward and they may cause the chain to rub on the tires. But this is more likely with fatter tires than the ones that came on your bike. Some combinations might work.

Upgrading the fork any significant amount almost requires a thru-axle front hub. Only the hybrid or bottom-lineup forks from RS have QR axles. I don't know about Fox, haven't looked. But those are not going to be a whole lot better than what you have.

The brakes at least are completely standard, you can go as good as you like there. So are tires, saddle, grips, pedals, and so on.
Thanks! Thats great info. I like it a lot already. I wouldn't do a 11 or 12 speed conversion. After riding, the 9 speed feels great. I have the same low and high gear just less in the middle and I have not been riding and wished for a gear between the next one so I am ok with the 9 speed. The shock and feels may be the first things upgraded when I start...for now I am just adapting to being on a bike again after a long absence. The shock I was thinking about was the Suntour Raidon. Its cheap for an upgrade ($200 from Suntour upgrade program) and seems to get good reviews.