Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a bike.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Looking to buy a bike.

Old 01-06-16, 07:47 PM
Spykez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking to buy a bike.

So a couple years ago I bought my first real MTB, was great, was a Trek 820 Single Track, rode it forever then upgraded to a Trek Dual Sport 8.something.

Ended up selling those cause I was riding my Kona Zing more than anything. Hobbies and blah blah blah I'm without a bike.

I live in Madison, all I hear about is Trek, honestly, I can't stand them anymore. I work for a company that works with them and I've even bought a guitar off one of their engineers. Not interested in Trek.

I've been looking at these direct to customer companies. There's brands I've never heard of that have a good following. Heard most of these from google-fu that ended up bringing me to various forums for more recommendations. So.

Price. 650ish. I'm not like, crazy MTB taking my ride of some sweet jumps cause I'm a wimp and I never had anyone to show me the ropes so I just did a lot of trails that I found around the areas I lived. I'd love to get into cross country stuffs.

Anywho.

What I've found.

Airborne Guardian. I'd link the bike but their site is down but I'm confident you guys know about them. I know they have a really good following and most people like their bikes.

Bulls Sharptail 29 Talked via their IM for a bit, sounds like they have a really good customer support service, life time warranty on their frames etc. This one has my interest the most so far.

Ghost Kato 2 27.5 Kinda swaying against this because taxes will bring it up too high, but....local support if I needed it and REI is really good

Fezzari Lone Peak Haven't looked too much into them yet.

That's, kinda all I got now, still looking around. I've had all Shimano stuff and I don't really have anything against them, I use their fishing reels which are pretty awesome lol. Kinda wanted to try Sram, because why not.

Hit me with some more 411. Anything else I should look into? I have no hates or more loves between 26" and 29". Or 27.5 whatver. I liked them all.
Old 01-08-16, 08:21 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I bought the Motobecane Fantom 29er for $799 from bikesdirect.com. Personally I was surprised at the quality. I was going to buy the next level down, but they were out of stock. I'm glad I got the. $799 one because the brakes are absolutely amazing. The best thing was the tapered head tube that allowed me to upgrade to a much nicer Fox fork with ease. I'd definitely look for tapered head tube at a minimum if you're buying a brand new bike.

if you aren't into doing fast riding or crazy off-roading, I'd definitely suggest getting a rigid bike, 29 er. Save the money off of a fork and it will allow you to get some nice road tires to switch between. Depends on what you're into.
Old 01-11-16, 01:50 PM
yadder

Bikes: CUBE Acid 29er, Salsa El Mariachi SSGT Avalanche X 2009, MMVZ Minsk 1980, Trek 4300 custom, HVZ Ukraina 111-411, Cannondale Trail 5

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Cannondale 29er and Cube.
Old 01-20-16, 06:56 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulok
I bought the Motobecane Fantom 29er for $799 from bikesdirect.com. Personally I was surprised at the quality. I was going to buy the next level down, but they were out of stock. I'm glad I got the. $799 one because the brakes are absolutely amazing.
Good to hear this, as I have been looking at that also. What's the weight on yours, and what size, and how does it fit? The cockpit looks a little cramped, but I haven't looked at MTBs in so long my sense of proportion might be off.
Old 02-25-16, 11:43 PM
oldpuck81

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Spirit, Motobecane HAL6 Expert & Fantom 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also got the Fantom 29er 3 years ago. Good solid bike. Tough as nails w/ lots of good components for the money. Mine weighs about 30 lbs. I have the 18". The "cockpit" is not cramped. I'm 6'-0" and feel just fine hammering on the street or trail. It's aluminum so you won't get a big 29er like this much lighter without going to titanium or carbon, but that will cost you mucho dineros.
Old 08-23-19, 02:58 PM
Tulok

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Good to hear this, as I have been looking at that also. What's the weight on yours, and what size, and how does it fit? The cockpit looks a little cramped, but I haven't looked at MTBs in so long my sense of proportion might be off.
Originally Posted by oldpuck81
I also got the Fantom 29er 3 years ago. Good solid bike. Tough as nails w/ lots of good components for the money. Mine weighs about 30 lbs. I have the 18". The "cockpit" is not cramped. I'm 6'-0" and feel just fine hammering on the street or trail. It's aluminum so you won't get a big 29er like this much lighter without going to titanium or carbon, but that will cost you mucho dineros.
I know this is years old..

I still have my phantom 29er. Sized XL. I’m 6’3”. I run a 40mm stem on it and I believe 710mm bars. I’ve been running it as a 26+ setup with a Fox 36 float rc2. Works great! The long wheelbase reallly really climbs well. I can’t say I’ve ever spun the back tire on anything except actual sand. I did have to get the brakes warrantied but that’s in the past. They still stop great. I would buy the same bike again but I’d just go for the top top of the line version and change the stem and bars to what I have now. No doubt that 29er is better for 90% of the riding around. My obsession with going down bigger and bigger obstacles is gone now that I have a child! Lol