Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anyone knows the gel seat differences?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 03:34 PM
flostonf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello guys i'm about to buy a gel seat due to my nerve damage.Can anyone explain me the differences between
these:
1.GENIUNE GEL
2.FLOW GEL
3.GEL
I don't know the differences but i want to buy the most comfortable.Thank you!
Old 06-14-17, 07:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

I would try the Brooks Cambium saddle in a width suitable for you (go to your LBS and they should be able to help you both in measuring and certainly in ordering that saddle) It is made from cotton canvas and natural rubber so it has plenty of flex for comfort and the already broken in feeling and eschews the animal exploitation and long break in period from their animal skinned saddles.

Make sure your saddle is positioned correctly fore and aft and is generally level (though you might have reason for a few degrees of tilt) and at the proper height. Again make sure you measure your sit bones and get a saddle of proper width.
Here is a video that might help:

Some not all shops will allow you to demo saddles and some also work with companies that offer a 15-90 day trial period and if you don't like it you can usually return it. Ask if your shop has that and be very nice to them if you do bring it back.

To reiterate Sheldon Brown, gel saddles are not designed for comfort. It is a buzzword to make you think comfort. They do not give you the support your sit bones need which can weaken them and cause more pain.
Old 06-15-17, 04:23 AM
flostonf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for reply and advice i ride a road bike 6-10k km a year. Im just looking at sportourer seats they are intersting and have good reviews on youtube and also on different sellers websites.
Old 06-15-17, 07:55 AM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by flostonf
Thank you for reply and advice i ride a road bike 6-10k km a year. Im just looking at sportourer seats they are intersting and have good reviews on youtube and also on different sellers websites.
Can you link some of these reviews? I'm curious to know exactly what saddles you're talking about and how much time the reviewers spent on them.
Old 06-15-17, 08:14 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
flos, you clearly ride a ton of kms per year, and so are no beginner and will be able to properly listen to your body bits re how diff seats work for you.
Realistically noone can give you the right recommendation, as its so personal, especially that you mention some physically issues going on.
The Brooks Cambium seats may have more give or suspension effect than other road seats, but after riding leather Brooks for a bunch of years, I bought a used Cambium C17, and found that it just wasn't as comfortable as a leather one that ends up with the slight divets where your sitbones are located, and I went back to using the leather ones.

Because you mention nerve issues, which seems that one should take pretty seriously, I guess the only suggestion I can give is if its possible for you to try a leather Brooks from someone who has a similar body shape to you, and see how it feels.

Of course, as a serious rider, you know that slight positional seat changes can make all the difference, so a one off ride probably wont be a "ah ha!" moment.

I make these suggestions from my personal experience of finding a leather seat to be very comfortable for me to be able to ride day after day on long tours and generally not have any issues with blood flow cut off, nerve issues, and or rubbing issues--although of course specific bike shorts and chammy fit and quality come into play as well--Again, as experienced riders, we all know that there are numerous factors that come into play.

good luck with resolving your nerve issues, not something to mess around with, short or long term.
Old 06-15-17, 08:29 AM
flostonf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
flos, you clearly ride a ton of kms per year, and so are no beginner and will be able to properly listen to your body bits re how diff seats work for you.
Realistically noone can give you the right recommendation, as its so personal, especially that you mention some physically issues going on.
The Brooks Cambium seats may have more give or suspension effect than other road seats, but after riding leather Brooks for a bunch of years, I bought a used Cambium C17, and found that it just wasn't as comfortable as a leather one that ends up with the slight divets where your sitbones are located, and I went back to using the leather ones.

Because you mention nerve issues, which seems that one should take pretty seriously, I guess the only suggestion I can give is if its possible for you to try a leather Brooks from someone who has a similar body shape to you, and see how it feels.

Of course, as a serious rider, you know that slight positional seat changes can make all the difference, so a one off ride probably wont be a "ah ha!" moment.

I make these suggestions from my personal experience of finding a leather seat to be very comfortable for me to be able to ride day after day on long tours and generally not have any issues with blood flow cut off, nerve issues, and or rubbing issues--although of course specific bike shorts and chammy fit and quality come into play as well--Again, as experienced riders, we all know that there are numerous factors that come into play.

good luck with resolving your nerve issues, not something to mess around with, short or long term.
My nerve was damaged due a crash when i broke my collar bone and hit my hips hard. I kind of get rid half of the pain because i lower my seat so my weight goes to the pedals some of the weight. I used to ride hard saddles also carbon ones 120 grams. Not my bottom need to rest on a gel one so the pressure can leave me alone and stop disturbing my nerves. Sportourer its the brand i order todat the man gel flow LX model i hope i can ride it tomorrow and have a good review if it works. I have 2 friend which rides brooks on their trekings i dont find that hard leather to be comfortable right now i wish i can try the model you are specifying .
Old 06-15-17, 08:38 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
well, good luck. We all know that a seat that can feel fine for a short ride may not be fine after a few hours, so again, all the best.
Old 06-15-17, 10:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Go to where they are, ( a Bike Shop ) and sit on each.

I don't know the differences but i want to buy the most comfortable.
You cannot get that information any other way.. my backside is not yours.. so is my opinion..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-15-17 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-15-17, 11:02 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I'll have to admit that the next seat that I'll be trying will be a Cambium. I ordered the sit-bone kit from SQlabs, did the fit up, ordered the saddle they suggested, and its not as comfortable as I would like. I'm a die-hard B17 fan, but I really do not want to care for one on the GDMBR, hence the need for something waterproof.
Old 06-15-17, 11:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I see the Cambium "rivets" are Torx bolts on the underside, so for such an off road. gravel ride , they can shake loose.

thread locking each may be prudent..

As you should know, C 17 is their version to hit the B17 market , c19 wider, c15 narrower.. very Un Gel though.. hard rubber.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-15-17 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-20-17, 01:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I see the Cambium "rivets" are Torx bolts on the underside, so for such an off road. gravel ride , they can shake loose.

thread locking each may be prudent..

As you should know, C 17 is their version to hit the B17 market , c19 wider, c15 narrower.. very Un Gel though.. hard rubber.

I haven't had the problem on either of my saddles on rough rides. Nothing has gone loose in the 2 years or so I have had my first Cambium. Threadlocking isn't a bad thing but I don't think is wholly needed
Old 06-20-17, 09:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

buy a spare should your optimism be proven wrong.
Old 07-02-17, 06:29 AM
flostonf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought it ride about 60km rides 5-6 times since now it seems ok.
Old 07-02-17, 01:00 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Leather saddles are the way to go. They're rock hard but paradoxically they are comfortable because unlike with gel seats, your private parts don't sink into the saddle.

They're not for every one but the best leather saddles - Brooks, Gyes and Berthoud are well spoken of and are durable.
Old 07-02-17, 02:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Hello guys i'm about to buy a gel seat due to my nerve damage.Can anyone explain me the differences between
these:
1.GENIUNE GEL
2.FLOW GEL
3.GEL
I don't know the differences but i want to buy the most comfortable.Thank you!
Those are marketing names to try to get you to buy one.

But if you want comfort ... go leather!
Old 07-02-17, 05:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by fietsbob
buy a spare should your optimism be proven wrong.
My optimism? Nope just cold hard facts nothing has gone loose in 2+ years of owning the first saddle and 1 year on the second and I am about to get my third (all for different bikes mind you), though I do plan on getting those Crivets at some point just to add some flair.

I typically check my bolt with a small modicum of regularity and haven't felt any loose bolts on my saddle. I will check again and give a report back if something feels like it has drastically changed.